your phone

Elvis said:
Don't get an Android! Stop Google's monopoly! Join the resistance! Buy an iPhone!

google cant be stopped now. may be in the future but not in the coming decade or the next decade. as others mentioned, iphones are expensive and why would people want to buy an iphone if they can get better specs in a cheaper android phone.

yaoifangirl said:
why would people want to buy an iphone if they can get better specs in a cheaper android phone.

Because they can't get better specs in a cheaper android phone:

Elvis said:

why are you looking at branded phones like samsung? lenovo got cheaper priced than samsung and iphone. i got samsung on5 and i am loving it but if i change my phone, i would switch to lenovo.

Elvis said:

Samsung makes 26% of the iPhone's components including their screens which on some of their newer phones they didn't even bother to get ones good enough to support full 1080P meanwhile phones these days are moving on to 4k. These so called "cheap" android phones are the same as apples phone but the only difference is apple slaps their logo on and charges another $1000.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/08/apple-and-samsungs-symbiotic-relationship
mWjNSDL.png

So if anyone is running a monopoly you should really be worried about Samsung.

yaoifangirl said:
why are you looking at branded phones like samsung? lenovo got cheaper priced than samsung and iphone. i got samsung on5 and i am loving it but if i change my phone, i would switch to lenovo.

That sounds like double standards to me.
How is Lenovo not a branded phone?
I can't remember them going from company back to hobbyism.

Elvis said:

Risk said:
Samsung makes 26% of the iPhone's components including their screens which on some of their newer phones they didn't even bother to get ones good enough to support full 1080P meanwhile phones these days are moving on to 4k. These so called "cheap" android phones are the same as apples phone but the only difference is apple slaps their logo on and charges another $1000.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/08/apple-and-samsungs-symbiotic-relationship
mWjNSDL.png

So if anyone is running a monopoly you should really be worried about Samsung.

Hardware is not really that relevant. Any company can produce hardware according to specific instructions. But it would take billions of dollars to compete in terms of operating systems and apps.

Elvis said:
Hardware is not really that relevant. Any company can produce hardware according to specific instructions. But it would take billions of dollars to compete in terms of operating systems and apps.

Is it easy to make hardware like that? I avoid Mac, iPhone because their products can't be used without a particular os and I believe that's not up to the manufacturers to decide

Star_Of_Hope said:
Is it easy to make hardware like that? I avoid Mac, iPhone because their products can't be used without a particular os and I believe that's not up to the manufacturers to decide

Are you sure about that?
I'm using my Mac Mini as a Debian-based home server, and my MacBook Pro runs Manjaro Linux as its sole OS.
And very old iPhones were modified to run Android at one point too, as seen here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The embed should skip to the part they person runs Android on it (anything before that is basically installation process).

Additionally, Nexus 5 are capable of running Ubuntu Touch and Plasma Mobile, though they must use a micro Android layer in order to make use of its drivers (because closed source).

Edit: video skipping apparently doesn't work if you're using MyBB, so just manually skip to 2:26.

TechnicalSuwako said:
Are you sure about that?
I'm using my Mac Mini as a Debian-based home server, and my MacBook Pro runs Manjaro Linux as its sole OS.
And very old iPhones were modified to run Android at one point too, as seen here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The embed should skip to the part they person runs Android on it (anything before that is basically installation process).

Additionally, Nexus 5 are capable of running Ubuntu Touch and Plasma Mobile, though they must use a micro Android layer in order to make use of its drivers (because closed source).

Edit: video skipping apparently doesn't work if you're using MyBB, so just manually skip to 2:26.
Non technical people wouldn't want to mess with the hardware or even software. I couldn't watch the video, as I am using my phone at the moment.

Elvis said:

Why does hardware not matter now, you claimed that you couldn't get the same hardware or even better for cheaper and to some extent I agree since phone hardware isn't anything amazing and the so called better phones probably only perform so slightly better to the point where you couldn't even notice with out a constant side by side comparison.

As for the android operating system there is no need to compete with it or make some new one. Android is open source and any manufacture that chooses to use it can customize it to how ever they like. As for making a new operating system it has been done before but they have failed like Microsoft's Windows phone, its not about it costing a lot to compete with google but about what the users and app developers want to use, they don't want to have to support some new operating system that no one wants to use.

Risk said:
Why does hardware not matter now, you claimed that you couldn't get the same hardware or even better for cheaper and to some extent I agree since phone hardware isn't anything amazing and the so called better phones probably only perform so slightly better to the point where you couldn't even notice with out a constant side by side comparison.

As for the android operating system there is no need to compete with it or make some new one. Android is open source and any manufacture that chooses to use it can customize it to how ever they like. As for making a new operating system it has been done before but they have failed like Microsoft's Windows phone, its not about it costing a lot to compete with google but about what the users and app developers want to use, they don't want to have to support some new operating system that no one wants to use.

Android is being owned by Google now and that's why everyone is freaking out as Google already made Google glass in the past

Risk said:

The problem with Android's version of open source is that its source code is read-only to the public, so no outside contributions are possible.
Additionally, Android-based drivers and many apps (including Google's own apps) are closed source.
Both of which already go against the principles of open source software.

I feel the only reason why Android is open source is because it uses the Linux kernel under the hood, which is GPL2 licensed, and therefore forces people who use Linux code to make their code open source as well, plus they have to credit the original coders too.

KuranKaname said:
Android is being owned by Google now and that's why everyone is freaking out as Google already made Google glass in the past

I haven't heard anything about Google Glass for years now, I wonder if they still consider releasing it or not.

Risk said:

Windows Central

I do agree that smartphones are about apps and not hardware but hardware does play a major role. The speed, ram , featured, price, brand....they play a major role for a customer in selecting a smartphone to buy

I didn't claim that you couldn't get the same hardware or even better for cheaper. I said "specs", not hardware. And you can't really separate hardware from software in the case of iOS simply because, while doable, installing iOS on a non-Apple device is doable, it's illegal and complicated.

Windows Phone did not fail only because it didn't attract the public. It once reached about 5% market share. You can still find many Windows Phone fans on the Windows Central forums. It was a great operating system, but Microsoft did not invest in creating and supporting the app makers. They simply did not care about their app store and that made them unable to compete with Apple and Google. The same thing happened to Blackberry. Smartphones are mostly about the apps, not the hardware.

Actually, Microsoft did do their best when they were still maintaining Windows Phone 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 Mobile.
But the big problem is the duopoly Apple and Google have created far ahead of Microsoft and BlackBerry.

Microsoft and BlackBerry, as well as Nokia (Symbian OS, anyone?) were actually the key smartphone OS makers before the iPhone was first announced, but smartphones were still considered a thing for rich business men/women back then, and installing apps had to be done through a web browser (like on Windows), which still left some space for competition.

On the other hand, Google and especially Apple strongly push everyone to their storefronts, which is both convinient to consumers AND profitable to developers.
This created an isolation to developers to never publish apps to other platforms, because they'd earn less there.
At the same time, it's an isolation to consumers too, because they will never buy a phone that doesn't run Android or iOS, because their favourite apps are not available on anything else.

The PC market is somewhat different.
Most software was created for Windows, but macOS and Linux users can still run many of those using Wine, CrossOver, or PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac, or Mono if the given app was made with .NET Framework and uses no shitty dependencies.

Moreover, with the arrival of Electron (which apps like Discord, Skype, Visual Studio Code, Atom, etc. make use of), more apps are being made for Linux, Windows, and macOS at the same time of the same quality, since the framework allows you to compile apps to all 3 of them using the same codebase.
The downside of Electron though is that it eats a fuckton of RAM, just because it's running an instance of Chromium beneath it.

I do agree that smartphones are about apps and not hardware but hardware does play a major role. The speed, ram , featured, price, brand....they play a major role for a customer in selecting a smartphone to buy

See the video in the previous page.
Hardware isn't the main factor of performace, it's the main factor of capitalism.

Ever wondered how comes the phone you bought last year used to be super speedy, and is now slow as crap?
Even after re-installing from scratch?
And even after you flash the exact same OS version on it as it ran when you unboxed it?

The answer is planned obsolescence.
It's all done on purpose so that you get forced to buy a new device every single year.

TechnicalSuwako said:
Actually, Microsoft did do their best when they were still maintaining Windows Phone 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 Mobile.
But the big problem is the duopoly Apple and Google have created far ahead of Microsoft and BlackBerry.

Microsoft and BlackBerry, as well as Nokia (Symbian OS, anyone?) were actually the key smartphone OS makers before the iPhone was first announced, but smartphones were still considered a thing for rich business men/women back then, and installing apps had to be done through a web browser (like on Windows), which still left some space for competition.

On the other hand, Google and especially Apple strongly push everyone to their storefronts, which is both convinient to consumers AND profitable to developers.
This created an isolation to developers to never publish apps to other platforms, because they'd earn less there.
At the same time, it's an isolation to consumers too, because they will never buy a phone that doesn't run Android or iOS, because their favourite apps are not available on anything else.

Most software was created for Windows, but macOS and Linux users can still run many of those using Wine, CrossOver, or PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac, or Mono if the given app was made with .NET Framework and uses no shitty dependencies.

Moreover, with the arrival of Electron (which apps like Discord, Skype, Visual Studio Code, Atom, etc. make use of), more apps are being made for Linux, Windows, and macOS at the same time of the same quality, since the framework allows you to compile apps to all 3 of them using the same codebase.
The downside of Electron though is that it eats a fuckton of RAM, just because it's running an instance of Chromium beneath it.

Hardware isn't the main factor of performace, it's the main factor of capitalism.

Ever wondered how comes the phone you bought last year used to be super speedy, and is now slow as crap?
And even after you flash the exact same OS version on it as it ran when you unboxed it?

It's all done on purpose so that you get forced to buy a new device every single year.

TechnicalSuwako said:

can we stop it by fixing what they have done or is it not possible at all?

yaoifangirl said:
can we stop it by fixing what they have done or is it not possible at all?

Long story short, it's a vicious circle.
I still have my hopes on the upcoming Purism Librem 5 phone, it's a phone that's runs an actual Ubuntu-based Linux distribution under the hood, users can choose between Gnome 3 or Plasma Mobile as their interface, and can even replace the OS by another Linux distro.
Due to this, it's not competing against Android and iOS, and already has a fuckton of apps before it even gets released (because it runs regular desktop apps, given the source code is publicly available, and can therefore be compiled by package managers to ARM processors).

Atop of that, it even comes with hardware kill switches for every communication-related element, which is really a must have in an era where autorities are spying on every living being without anyone knowing that.
Please, don't tell me they spy to prevent terror attacks, they were spying all the time, yet many of them have happened and keep happening (plus the authorities confirmed they knew about these suspects all along after every single attack).

TechnicalSuwako said:
Long story short, it's a vicious circle.
I still have my hopes on the upcoming Purism Librem 5 phone, it's a phone that's runs an actual Ubuntu-based Linux distribution under the hood, users can choose between Gnome 3 or Plasma Mobile as their interface, and can even replace the OS by another Linux distro.
Due to this, it's not competing against Android and iOS, and already has a fuckton of apps before it even gets released (because it runs regular desktop apps, given the source code is publicly available, and can therefore be compiled by package managers to ARM processors).

Atop of that, it even comes with hardware kill switches for every communication-related element, which is really a must have in an era where autorities are spying on every living being without anyone knowing that.
Please, don't tell me they spy to prevent terror attacks, they were spying all the time, yet many of them have happened and keep happening (plus the authorities confirmed they knew about these suspects all along after every single attack).

is it expensive? i want one of it's cost is less and if the political discussions are not banned in this forum, i would have things to share about that spying

Back