What game are you playing right now?

[quote="Grungie" pid='266864' dateline='1643808378']

Everyone had identical boards in the original, so you could have a very customized party, or have everyone do everything. It felt very time consuming, and I hated trying to upgrade my equipment when I went to a new area, and I didn’t unlock enough on the board to equip it.

I’m still not used to seeing people speak positively about FF12, because people hated the game for so long. Though the FF community is one of those communities where they always hate the newest entries, and when another one comes out, a previously hated game is now acceptable to like.
[/quote]

Mind you the game is quite flawed. There's so many ways to cheese it and I have died maybe once so far. Trial Mode basically breaks the game. Also the voice acting in English is quite embarassing sometimes.

But I am having fun with it mainly because it's unlike any other game/genre I've played.

MadaraUchiha said:
Mind you the game is quite flawed. There's so many ways to cheese it and I have died maybe once so far. Trial Mode basically breaks the game. Also the voice acting in English is quite embarassing sometimes.

But I am having fun with it mainly because it's unlike any other game/genre I've played.
Yeah, voice acting in the 2000's still had some growing pains, though since I grew up watching anime dubs in the 90's, and PS1 dubs were even worse, FF12 was like a godsend at the time. The PS1 dubs sounded like they literally grabbed someone off the street and paid them $20 to speak into a mic.

I'm currently playing bitcoin games from bling financial...it only pays like a dollar per week but it's better than nothing lol

Grungie said:
Yeah, voice acting in the 2000's still had some growing pains, though since I grew up watching anime dubs in the 90's, and PS1 dubs were even worse, FF12 was like a godsend at the time. The PS1 dubs sounded like they literally grabbed someone off the street and paid them $20 to speak into a mic.

I assume PS1 had a lot of those offline animated scenes like in ff12(which look pretty impressive, especially when they switch to cutscenes probably done in engine).
I played a bit of MGS 1 and the voice acting was pretty good in that

[quote="MadaraUchiha" pid='266898' dateline='1643953003']

I assume PS1 had a lot of those offline animated scenes like in ff12(which look pretty impressive, especially when they switch to cutscenes probably done in engine).
I played a bit of MGS 1 and the voice acting was pretty good in that
[/quote]

Metal Gear Solid was the outlier. If you look at the opening clips of Tales of Eternia, or the infamous Resident Evil opening cutscene, those were the standard.

The PS1 and Saturn loved FMV’s, and some games loved them a bit too much. The 3 Final Fantady games used them for important scenes, but some others had them for no reason. When I was playing the 3DS remaster of Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, there were just so many random FMV’s littered here and there for no reason. They definitely got over that when the PS2 came out.

[quote="Grungie" pid='266903' dateline='1643978254']

Metal Gear Solid was the outlier. If you look at the opening clips of Tales of Eternia, or the infamous Resident Evil opening cutscene, those were the standard.

The PS1 and Saturn loved FMV’s, and some games loved them a bit too much. The 3 Final Fantady games used them for important scenes, but some others had them for no reason. When I was playing the 3DS remaster of Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, there were just so many random FMV’s littered here and there for no reason. They definitely got over that when the PS2 came out.
[/quote]

Yeah I've seen that one. I have REmake on PS4 need to play it soon.

Also regarding FF7-9: I'm noticing that FF12 is mostly plot driven with little to no characterisation for any of the 6 party members, especially for Vaan and Penelo. How do those 3 and maybe 10 fare in comparison?

[quote="MadaraUchiha" pid='266905' dateline='1644065183']

Yeah I've seen that one. I have REmake on PS4 need to play it soon.

Also regarding FF7-9: I'm noticing that FF12 is mostly plot driven with little to no characterisation for any of the 6 party members, especially for Vaan and Penelo. How do those 3 and maybe 10 fare in comparison?
[/quote]

Allegedly Vaan and Penelo weren’t supposed to be in the game, and Basch and Ashe were going to be the primary characters. Idk how much of the latter was actually true, but Vaan and Penelo were definitely last minute entries.

The other games vary. They all have an ensemble cast for party members, so you’ll usually get one or two have more development than others, a couple have “their scene”, and that one member that you question why they exist.

[quote="Grungie" pid='266906' dateline='1644069320']

Allegedly Vaan and Penelo weren’t supposed to be in the game, and Basch and Ashe were going to be the primary characters. Idk how much of the latter was actually true, but Vaan and Penelo were definitely last minute entries.

The other games vary. They all have an ensemble cast for party members, so you’ll usually get one or two have more development than others, a couple have “their scene”, and that one member that you question why they exist.
[/quote]

That's better than what I have to be honest. Honestly Balthier Fran would be great foils for Basch and Ash in the group dynamic whenever there's interactions or cutscenes focusing on them and not on the plot. Vaan and Penelo are often invisible especially during cutscenes.

[quote="MadaraUchiha" pid='266907' dateline='1644071300']

That's better than what I have to be honest. Honestly Balthier Fran would be great foils for Basch and Ash in the group dynamic whenever there's interactions or cutscenes focusing on them and not on the plot. Vaan and Penelo are often invisible especially during cutscenes.
[/quote]

It’s not unusual for JRPG’s to have characters that really just exist to push the plot along, or just exist as tools for battle. Dragon Quest isn’t really known for characters, or even a deep plot. Most of the games have the characters join your party and are mute the rest of the time, or occasionally speak.

[quote="Grungie" pid='266909' dateline='1644092443']

It’s not unusual for JRPG’s to have characters that really just exist to push the plot along, or just exist as tools for battle. Dragon Quest isn’t really known for characters, or even a deep plot. Most of the games have the characters join your party and are mute the rest of the time, or occasionally speak.
[/quote]

Damn I really thought it'd be like some of the WRPGs I've played where they take time with characters and then go on to focus on the plot. You have recs for JRPGs like that?

MadaraUchiha said:
Damn I really thought it'd be like some of the WRPGs I've played where they take time with characters and then go on to focus on the plot. You have recs for JRPGs like that?
Persona 3 through 5 do through the social links, but iirc the social links for the party members are also optional. The Tales franchise kind of does, but they do tend to stick to characters not leaving their stock tropes, but they do tend to have more interactions between each other than some of the other franchises.

Tbh there's kind of a reason why there's a huge divide between WRPG and JRPG fans. WRPG's have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want, but it can feel like the actual plot is taking a backseat, and JRPG's can be all about the plot, but with a lack of freedom.

Grungie said:
Persona 3 through 5 do through the social links, but iirc the social links for the party members are also optional. The Tales franchise kind of does, but they do tend to stick to characters not leaving their stock tropes, but they do tend to have more interactions between each other than some of the other franchises.

Tbh there's kind of a reason why there's a huge divide between WRPG and JRPG fans. WRPG's have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want, but it can feel like the actual plot is taking a backseat, and JRPG's can be all about the plot, but with a lack of freedom.

Figures why I probably gravitated more towards WRPGs then. I'll probably check our Tales of Vesperia and Arise on PS4 so I'll see if it suits my taste.

[quote="MadaraUchiha" pid='266922' dateline='1644165352']

Figures why I probably gravitated more towards WRPGs then. I'll probably check our Tales of Vesperia and Arise on PS4 so I'll see if it suits my taste.
[/quote]

I really enjoyed Vesperia. I haven’t played Arise, but I hear positive comments on it.

[quote="Grungie" pid='266923' dateline='1644183712']

I really enjoyed Vesperia. I haven’t played Arise, but I hear positive comments on it.
[/quote]

One of my friends became obsessed with Tales last year, he's been playing every single entry over the last few months.

[quote="MadaraUchiha" pid='266929' dateline='1644211446']

One of my friends became obsessed with Tales last year, he's been playing every single entry over the last few months.
[/quote]

Oof, that’s a task, there’s like 16 games, and they’re spread across multiple consoles. Though that’s not as bad with emulation. Though I personally couldn’t handle trying to go through 16 30-60+ hour games like that.

Then there’s the fact that not all of them are translated, including fan translated.

[quote="Grungie" pid='266931' dateline='1644234003']

Oof, that’s a task, there’s like 16 games, and they’re spread across multiple consoles. Though that’s not as bad with emulation. Though I personally couldn’t handle trying to go through 16 30-60+ hour games like that.

Then there’s the fact that not all of them are translated, including fan translated.
[/quote]

He's been emulation some, one of them is Abyss(?).

[quote="MadaraUchiha" pid='266936' dateline='1644264816']

He's been emulation some, one of them is Abyss(?).
[/quote]

Yeah, Abyss is a popular one, I’m not super fond of it, but it’s a fan favorite

[quote="Grungie" pid='266937' dateline='1644273179']

Yeah, Abyss is a popular one, I’m not super fond of it, but it’s a fan favorite
[/quote]

Also I haven't touched the main story in quite sometime now in FF12, but going to areas where I'm either matched or under levelled and figuring out ways to survive and win using the gambit system is more fun than the main campaign tbh. Plus I'm getting great gear and loot as a result.

Back