Where should I begin my Anime journey?

Cumulus

I'm pretty new to the world of Anime & Manga but lots of my friends have been enjoying it for years. So, for someone just starting out, do you have any good series recommendations?

Looking for something not too long, maybe 20-30mins per episode, and something to easily get the hang of quite quickly (so no extra long series)

Any help would be awesome :D

Some good places to start in my opinion would be...

Akame Ga Kill
Another
Darling in the Franxx
Demon Slayer

These are all good series IMO

Cumulus said:
I'm pretty new to the world of Anime & Manga but lots of my friends have been enjoying it for years. So, for someone just starting out, do you have any good series recommendations?

Looking for something not too long, maybe 20-30mins per episode, and something to easily get the hang of quite quickly (so no extra long series)

Any help would be awesome :D

A good first step would be to figure out which genre appeals most to you. Gem's recommendations are good, no doubt, but anime, like movies or western animation, is mostly just a medium. You have horror, adventure, action, and so much more. There are few to none genres of show that you're probably familiar with that don't have an anime equivalent. Do you have any genres like that you like to watch already? Based on that, people here will probably be able to give you more tailored recommendations. Also, most anime is indeed around ~25 mins per episode, unless it's a movie. You might want to pay more attention to how many episodes the show has in total, since there are some insanely long shows out there with stories that still haven't finished. But yeah, what genres do you like?

Blackangel said:
start with death note
and everyone likes it and you can never get bored of it at all.

Death note is one of my first and got me really into anime, I think it is the perfect first anime even lots of non anime fans have seen it or at least head of it.

Risk said:
Death note is one of my first and got me really into anime, I think it is the perfect first anime even lots of non anime fans have seen it or at least head of it.

that's right.
and i am sure it's the best anime based on the episode length, plot, character development and anything else lol

[quote="HannahCN" pid='234951' dateline='1609854008']

A good first step would be to figure out which genre appeals most to you. Gem's recommendations are good, no doubt, but anime, like movies or western animation, is mostly just a medium. You have horror, adventure, action, and so much more. There are few to none genres of show that you're probably familiar with that don't have an anime equivalent. Do you have any genres like that you like to watch already? Based on that, people here will probably be able to give you more tailored recommendations. Also, most anime is indeed around ~25 mins per episode, unless it's a movie. You might want to pay more attention to how many episodes the show has in total, since there are some insanely long shows out there with stories that still haven't finished. But yeah, what genres do you like?
[/quote]

Basically this. A lot of people treat anime like it’s a singular genre despite it covering every genre under the sun.

People also make the mistake of recommending their favorites without knowing if it’s noob friendly or not. That’s the most common way to sour someone in a new hobby.

[quote="Grungie" pid='235070' dateline='1609918454']

Basically this. A lot of people treat anime like it’s a singular genre despite it covering every genre under the sun.

People also make the mistake of recommending their favorites without knowing if it’s noob friendly or not. That’s the most common way to sour someone in a new hobby.
[/quote]

but isn't death note the ideal anime for everyone?
i feel like it's a good anime for a newbie and most of the time, it's well-liked by everyone

Blackangel said:
but isn't death note the ideal anime for everyone?
i feel like it's a good anime for a newbie and most of the time, it's well-liked by everyone

I said nothing about Death Note

Grungie said:
I said nothing about Death Note

sorry lol
just saying some anime like death note, code geass, fullmetal alechemist brotherhood are liked by most of the people. even huner x hunter too.

[quote="Blackangel" pid='235075' dateline='1609919222']

sorry lol
just saying some anime like death note, code geass, fullmetal alechemist brotherhood are liked by most of the people. even huner x hunter too.
[/quote]

If you don’t like the genres those shows cover, the popularity is meaningless.

If you love chick flicks and don’t care for action stuff, Demon Slayer isn’t going to appeal to you.

[quote="Grungie" pid='235081' dateline='1609919618']

If you don’t like the genres those shows cover, the popularity is meaningless.

If you love chick flicks and don’t care for action stuff, Demon Slayer isn’t going to appeal to you.
[/quote]

some people don't like anime girls lol
and i am sure they wouldn't be appealing to people like that.

[quote="Blackangel" pid='235083' dateline='1609919672']

some people don't like anime girls lol
and i am sure they wouldn't be appealing to people like that.
[/quote]

That’s almost an irrelevant point, as that’s a near impossible order.

[quote="Grungie" pid='235084' dateline='1609920060']

That’s almost an irrelevant point, as that’s a near impossible order.
[/quote]

lol for real?
i know a guy who thinks anime is disgusting because he can't differentiate male to a female so easily.

[quote="Blackangel" pid='235086' dateline='1609920178']

lol for real?
i know a guy who thinks anime is disgusting because he can't differentiate male to a female so easily.
[/quote]

That’s also pretty irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make.

[quote="Grungie" pid='235090' dateline='1609920346']

That’s also pretty irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make.
[/quote]

i am not good at explaining lol
if there is an actual story for an anime, and not just anime god looking characters, then they have a great chance of being liked by noobs.

[quote="Blackangel" pid='235092' dateline='1609920666']

i am not good at explaining lol
if there is an actual story for an anime, and not just anime god looking characters, then they have a great chance of being liked by noobs.
[/quote]

That’s not the point I’m trying to make. I’m saying that if someone doesn’t like a genre, then you shouldn’t recommend them shows from that genre.

The other half of my post, which covers noob friendly stuff, is about avoiding recommending shows that are too “out there”. Things like fanservice, being really weird, or maybe too gory.

Most people I think get into anime from watching a slightly long show and getting to know and love the characters over a period of time so a lot of first animes for a lot of people is some shounen action/adventure anime like Dba, naruto or pokemon. I think even though some anime are long when you get into them they're not a chore to watch. So I'll Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood for you. I decided that was the best starting anime I could think off a long time back and it hasn't really changed. Also made in abyss if you want something short.

[quote="Grungie" pid='235111' dateline='1609921605']

That’s not the point I’m trying to make. I’m saying that if someone doesn’t like a genre, then you shouldn’t recommend them shows from that genre.

The other half of my post, which covers noob friendly stuff, is about avoiding recommending shows that are too “out there”. Things like fanservice, being really weird, or maybe too gory.
[/quote]

oh i finally get it
sorry i got the wrong impression from your previous post.

Good starting anime IMO are Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and the movie Your Name. They are simple and have a mass appeal and crowd pleasing elements.

Back