Seirei no Moribito, final thoughts

Thoughts:

Pro's:
Animation: The 2D animation is among the best I've ever seen, at least for its age. It still looks very good. Especially, the way the action scenes are helmed. Every fight looks clean, suspenseful, and exhilarating.
Music: I loved the music in this series. It's easily in my top 10 scores(in an anime). And, like you said, it was able to fill silences very well, without feeling like it's out of place. It was always beautiful to hear.
Characters: Balsa, Tanda, Torogai, the list goes on. Balsa is obviously my favourite, but, others were good too. Initially I thought I wouldn't like Chagum because I thought he'd be authoritative and bratty, but, he was not. He was someone who suffered in silence, didn't whine, and got used to every hardship. I do have a few problems with the characters on the Empire's side. I'm lukewarm on most of them, with the exception of maybe Shuga, and I don't like him all that well, too.
Story: The story is pretty simple, but it's also straightforward. It doesn't feel convoluted, for the most part.
Lore: I found the lore to be pretty interesting, especially the thing with the two worlds:Nayug and Sagu. The scenes with Tanda drifting to Nayug, and Chagum caught between the two worlds, were very very good, in my opinion.
I think the voice-acting was fine. Balsa, Tanda and Torogai were good.
The series is always able to instantly generate tension.

Con's:
The middle portion of the series range from fine to boring. Whenever it cut to Balsa, Chagum, and him learning to be a commoner, it was fine to watch. But, whenever it cut to Shuga, it was nothing but him literally narrating the plot, in a boring monotone voice, and it was literally a snooze-fest. It came to a point where I wasn't able to watch more than two episodes at once. Fortunately, the series picked up its pace again at episode 17, and it focused on the birth of the egg, and less on world-building.
The lack of an actual antagonist kind of bogs down the series. As mentioned above, the last battle turns into a demon fight you see in a shounen anime.
I found the voice-acting of Chagum and Shuga to be pretty monotone and dry.

Overall:
Excellent animation, characters, music, with great initial(1-9) and final episodes(17-26), bogged down by a few episodes in the middle that seem like padding.
Score: 8/10.

It's my favorite anime which got 10 from me. I love the art and it has great music and a great story

Sindar said:
@MadaraUchiha, @Nel, I now you'll see this post, but tagging you just in case ^^

@BurnsyCEO So was I right to guess it wouldn't be your cup of tea? =)

Yea I dropped it since I found it boring. I can only bring myself to watch around 5 episodes of anime in a week and can't have some show I don't like taking up that time. Not a fan of the voice acting either.

Thoughts:

Pro's:
Animation: The 2D animation is among the best I've ever seen, at least for its age. It still looks very good. Especially, the way the action scenes are helmed. Every fight looks clean, suspenseful, and exhilarating.
Music: I loved the music in this series. It's easily in my top 10 scores(in an anime). And, like you said, it was able to fill silences very well, without feeling like it's out of place. It was always beautiful to hear.
Characters: Balsa, Tanda, Torogai, the list goes on. Balsa is obviously my favourite, but, others were good too. Initially I thought I wouldn't like Chagum because I thought he'd be authoritative and bratty, but, he was not. He was someone who suffered in silence, didn't whine, and got used to every hardship. I do have a few problems with the characters on the Empire's side. I'm lukewarm on most of them, with the exception of maybe Shuga, and I don't like him all that well, too.
Story: The story is pretty simple, but it's also straightforward. It doesn't feel convoluted, for the most part.
Lore: I found the lore to be pretty interesting, especially the thing with the two worlds:Nayug and Sagu. The scenes with Tanda drifting to Nayug, and Chagum caught between the two worlds, were very very good, in my opinion.
I think the voice-acting was fine. Balsa, Tanda and Torogai were good.
The series is always able to instantly generate tension.

Con's:
The middle portion of the series range from fine to boring. Whenever it cut to Balsa, Chagum, and him learning to be a commoner, it was fine to watch. But, whenever it cut to Shuga, it was nothing but him literally narrating the plot, in a boring monotone voice, and it was literally a snooze-fest. It came to a point where I wasn't able to watch more than two episodes at once. Fortunately, the series picked up its pace again at episode 17, and it focused on the birth of the egg, and less on world-building.
The lack of an actual antagonist kind of bogs down the series. As mentioned above, the last battle turns into a demon fight you see in a shounen anime.
I found the voice-acting of Chagum and Shuga to be pretty monotone and dry.

Overall:
Excellent animation, characters, music, with great initial(1-9) and final episodes(17-26), bogged down by a few episodes in the middle that seem like padding.
Score: 8/10.
I'd argue that animation wasn't all that great, but it was done well. They managed to be consistent for most of the series and have some well animated fights, that is good enough. I think they relied heavily on CGI-assisted tools, at least that is how it looks to me. And there is quite a bit of raw-looking CGI too. Like the grass in the ending, you can see the forefront is drawn, the middle is CGI and the background is a static picture.

Here my fav soundtrack. It was first played when Balsa agreed to train Chagum, loved that moment. 
https://youtu.be/bK9cSX-peE4

Yeah, I like how Chagum turned out too. Though I sort of noticed that he wasn't the whiny type from the time he arrived at Balsa's place at the very beginning of the series, so I was pretty interested in him from that time. Can't comment on the Japanese voice acting, watched it in English dub. Everyone was good enough in the dub, Balsa's actress was especially good.

I feel the lore sort of lacks justification, it is sort of unnecessarily complex for such a simple story. But I know that the anime series only covers a part of the original story, so maybe all those details with fire, water and earth spirits and Nayug and Sagu would be used in the later events or something. Anyway, it adds a bit of a mystery to it all, and the episode where Tanda travels to [size=small]Nayug[/size][size=small] was pretty good =)[/size]

BurnsyCEO said:
Yea I dropped it since I found it boring. I can only bring myself to watch around 5 episodes of anime in a week and can't have some show I don't like taking up that time. Not a fan of the voice acting either.

Nel said:
What's the rating did you give it?
Is it 8 just like madarauchiha?

That is what I had in mind when I commented back then that you wouldn't pick it =) The series is slow [size=small]and it rewards you more as you watch it, but it also does it in subtle ways. The episodes that I liked the most came in the second half of the series, and I[/size][size=small] [/size][size=small]often[/size][size=small] don't make it that far. I was lucky that a lot of my friends recommended it to me and I didn't feel like I could put it off half way through.[/size]

[size=small]Normally I would say that they would have been better off cutting down the number of episodes, but with this anime I can't name more than a few scenes that could have been cut off. It is as if this anime has to be that slow, can't be done better.[/size]

I gave it 8 on MAL. It is not "just like Madarauchiha" though =) As far as I understand his system, 8 is a pretty a high score for him, since he never gives 10/10  to anything and rarely gives 9/10 too (right? maybe I'm wrong o_O). For me 8/10 means it is one of the better shows out there, worth watching, lots of good points to it, not so many negative points. But I do give 9/10 and 10/10 too, so there is that : D 

(don't take my scores too seriously though, they aren't that meaningful)

Well, it's true that I don't give 9 easily, and 10 to any anime. I'm forced to in MAL, because it allows only integral values. 10's are more like 9.7 or 9.8, and 9's are between 8.5 and 9.5.
And, to Nel, I do think this anime is very good, but, in my opinion, it had a lot of problems.

Did you watch the live action?
@MadaraUchiha
Haven't found the time to. I may watch it later, but, if it has the same plot as the anime, why do I need to?

I'd argue that animation wasn't all that great, but it was done well. They managed to be consistent for most of the series and have some well animated fights, that is good enough. I think they relied heavily on CGI-assisted tools, at least that is how it looks to me. And there is quite a bit of raw-looking CGI too. Like the grass in the ending, you can see the forefront is drawn, the middle is CGI and the background is a static picture.

Here my fav soundtrack. It was first played when Balsa agreed to train Chagum, loved that moment. 
https://youtu.be/bK9cSX-peE4

Yeah, I like how Chagum turned out too. Though I sort of noticed that he wasn't the whiny type from the time he arrived at Balsa's place at the very beginning of the series, so I was pretty interested in him from that time. Can't comment on the Japanese voice acting, watched it in English dub. Everyone was good enough in the dub, Balsa's actress was especially good.

I feel the lore sort of lacks justification, it is sort of unnecessarily complex for such a simple story. But I know that the anime series only covers a part of the original story, so maybe all those details with fire, water and earth spirits and Nayug and Sagu would be used in the later events or something. Anyway, it adds a bit of a mystery to it all, and the episode where Tanda travels to [size=small]Nayug[/size][size=small] was pretty good =)[/size]
I don't want to sound like a smart-ass, but, I was specific about 2D animation. That's because, even I noticed the 3D animation many times, and it felt, incomplete, and not rendered well. 

Well, that's my second favourite actually. I noticed it the first time it was played, but, it kind of made me go and listen to it again, when it was played around the time the Nahji appeared to carry the egg from Chagum. Here's another one of my favourites, Teidou no Balsa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me0ADmtDLYg
[size=small]^^This is probably an oft-repeated theme in the series, and I think you'll easily recognise it.[/size]

On a side note, the OST Omoi Haruka is an instrumental version of the Nahji no Uta. I also like the OST 'Balsa Hashiru', and it's a variation of Teidou no Balsa, but, as the name implies, it's fast-paced, and is used in chase sequences.

It wasn't like I was weary of him for 5-6 episodes, I noticed that he was a good kid in the second episode, but, you know, I was just worried that he was gonna annoy me. And, I can't speak about Chagum's actor, but, as far as Shuga's is concerned, I don't know whether it was the lines or the actor, because, he was mostly narrating information. 

As far as lore is concerned, I do agree that it gets convoluted, but, only when it's being told from Shuga's perspective. That's why I kind of dressed upon this point in a generic sense in my criticism of the anime. I feel like the simple things, like with the two worlds, the egg, the drought, etc., were done explained well. Though it is kind of disappointing that it didn't have a second season, but, it's to be expected. . Any other year, and it would have been very popular, but, it had to come out in 2007, unfortunately. That's the same year as Death Note, Code Geass, Naruto Shippuden, Gurren Lagann, Clannad, Darker than Black, etc were released. As good as SnB was, I feel like it was swept under the rug. 2007, was, in my opinion, the best year in anime this century.
On a side note, the same year saw the release of Higurashi, one of my personal favourites, and Lucky Star, which I haven't seen, but I remember you talking about it.

MadaraUchiha said:
Well, it's true that I don't give 9 easily, and 10 to any anime. I'm forced to in MAL, because it allows only integral values. 10's are more like 9.7 or 9.8, and 9's are between 8.5 and 9.5.
And, to Nel, I do think this anime is very good, but, in my opinion, it had a lot of problems.

Haven't found the time to. I may watch it later, but, if it has the same plot as the anime, why do I need to?

Because, they are going to make all the books into episodes. We won't be able to know the story unless we watch them and they are not getting translated into English.

Nel said:
Because, they are going to make all the books into episodes. We won't be able to know the story unless we watch them and they are not getting translated into English.
Unless we watch what? The movies?

I don't want to sound like a smart-ass, but, I was specific about 2D animation. That's because, even I noticed the 3D animation many times, and it felt, incomplete, and not rendered well. 

Well, that's my second favourite actually. I noticed it the first time it was played, but, it kind of made me go and listen to it again, when it was played around the time the Nahji appeared to carry the egg from Chagum. Here's another one of my favourites, Teidou no Balsa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me0ADmtDLYg
[size=small]^^This is probably an oft-repeated theme in the series, and I think you'll easily recognise it.[/size]

On a side note, the OST Omoi Haruka is an instrumental version of the Nahji no Uta. I also like the OST 'Balsa Hashiru', and it's a variation of Teidou no Balsa, but, as the name implies, it's fast-paced, and is used in chase sequences.

It wasn't like I was weary of him for 5-6 episodes, I noticed that he was a good kid in the second episode, but, you know, I was just worried that he was gonna annoy me. And, I can't speak about Chagum's actor, but, as far as Shuga's is concerned, I don't know whether it was the lines or the actor, because, he was mostly narrating information. 

As far as lore is concerned, I do agree that it gets convoluted, but, only when it's being told from Shuga's perspective. That's why I kind of dressed upon this point in a generic sense in my criticism of the anime. I feel like the simple things, like with the two worlds, the egg, the drought, etc., were done explained well. Though it is kind of disappointing that it didn't have a second season, but, it's to be expected. . Any other year, and it would have been very popular, but, it had to come out in 2007, unfortunately. That's the same year as Death Note, Code Geass, Naruto Shippuden, Gurren Lagann, Clannad, Darker than Black, etc were released. As good as SnB was, I feel like it was swept under the rug. 2007, was, in my opinion, the best year in anime this century.
On a side note, the same year saw the release of Higurashi, one of my personal favourites, and Lucky Star, which I haven't seen, but I remember you talking about it.

I see =) My impression of Seirei no Moribito's visuals is that it has lots of really good static images and solid, but rather plain moving object animation. The overall look is pretty good at times though. 

Those are nice ones too. I actually listen to the whole soundtrack, which is rare for me.

Yeah I know what you mean.

Oh. Never thought of 2007 as a big year for anime =) I don't think SnM would have made it big in any year, it is not that kind of show. It is clearly no for teen audience, too little excitement per episode, the pacing is too slow, no fanservice and the writing is oriented towards people who have read/watched a fair bit. [size=small]SnM[/size][size=small] is kind of a niche show.[/size]

Well, you know, in terms of movement, I feel like the action scenes more than compensate.
And, I've yet to listen to the whole soundtrack.

While SnB wouldn't have been the standout show of the year, like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man or Steins;Gate, it certainly would have been more popular, in another year. Whether or not the other shows are good or not is subjective, but, fact of the matter is, all these shows are insanely popular. And, yes, it's not a conventional anime, and has zero fanservice(can't remember any other anime without fan service), but, still, it would have benefited from being released in another year.
"Never thought of 2007 as a big year for anime"
^^Regarding the above, did you used to think like that, or are these anime not that impressive to you? I'd say that in terms of popularity and lasting impact, if not for quality, this is definitely a standout year.

MadaraUchiha said:
Well, you know, in terms of movement, I feel like the action scenes more than compensate.
And, I've yet to listen to the whole soundtrack.

While SnB wouldn't have been the standout show of the year, like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man or Steins;Gate, it certainly would have been more popular, in another year. Whether or not the other shows are good or not is subjective, but, fact of the matter is, all these shows are insanely popular. And, yes, it's not a conventional anime, and has zero fanservice(can't remember any other anime without fan service), but, still, it would have benefited from being released in another year.
"Never thought of 2007 as a big year for anime"
^^Regarding the above, did you used to think like that, or are these anime not that impressive to you? I'd say that in terms of popularity and lasting impact, if not for quality, this is definitely a standout year.

Back