Detective Conan Discussion Thread

MelloLily

Note: If you're not caught up on Detective Conan anime/manga and you want to be, this thread may contain major spoilers.

Alrighty, so what are peoples thoughts on this series? (If there is anyone out there caught up, other than me).

So until I know there are people who watch it, I won't say anything and let someone choose what we talk about.

Note, I am caught up on the manga and anime, so if people have questions about the series, feel free to ask me.

I have heard a lot about this anime.I couldn't bring myself to watch it, because of it's "animation".

MelloLily said:
Note: If you're not caught up on Detective Conan anime/manga and you want to be, this thread may contain major spoilers.

Alrighty, so what are peoples thoughts on this series? (If there is anyone out there caught up, other than me).

So until I know there are people who watch it, I won't say anything and let someone choose what we talk about.

Note, I am caught up on the manga and anime, so if people have questions about the series, feel free to ask me.

i used to watch it when i was a kid,i want to watch it but too many episodes they are like 700+ >.>

Star_Of_Hope said:
I have heard a lot about this anime.I couldn't bring myself to watch it, because of it's "animation".
smoker said:
i used to watch it when i was a kid,i want to watch it but too many episodes they are like 700+ >.>
Yeah, it is coming up on 750 episodes.

I will add it to my watch list then.Can it be compared to other detective anime like "death note" or "code geass"?

Star_Of_Hope said:
I will add it to my watch list then.Can it be compared to other detective anime like "death note" or "code geass"?

Definitely not like those animes.
Death Note focuses on one villain (Light Yagami) and bring him down.
Code Geass I don't consider a detective anime, so I'll leave it at that.

I don't want to get too much into the plot of Detective Conan, because there is something that happens at the end of the first episode that is a huge event, and until people know what that event is, I don't want to give a plot (the plot is focused around that event). I will say this, it is about a high school teen detective, who is 17, named Shinichi.

MelloLily said:

I don't want to get too much into the plot of Detective Conan, because there is something that happens at the end of the first episode that is a huge event, and until people know what that event is, I don't want to give a plot (the plot is focused around that event). I will say this, it is about a high school teen detective, who is 17, named Shinichi.

I guess,I didn't make myself clear in the last post.Let me rephrase those very lines. I very well know that, death note and code geass belong to "super natural" genre. Still,they have a certain feel like thinking about the opponent's moves and such.

So,does this anime have the same feel or is it similar to "sherlock holmes" series?

Star_Of_Hope said:
MelloLily said:

I guess,I didn't make myself clear in the last post.Let me rephrase those very lines. I very well know that, death note and code geass belong to "super natural" genre. Still,they have a certain feel like thinking about the opponent's moves and such.

So,does this anime have the same feel or is it similar to "sherlock holmes" series?
I do consider Death Note a detective anime.

Feel is like Sherlock Holmes... which also makes sense, because the main character is obsessed with Sherlock Holmes. Shinichi refers to Holmes a lot (there is even an episode where he visits England to see the Holmes museum.) A crime happens and the main character solves it. However, there is a major overall plot on top of everything, that is still going on. As the series advances much later down the road, a lot of interesting things happen that relate to the main plot.

I do recommend skipping the filler episodes, which I can give you that list should you wish. It would cut the anime in half. (Except I recommend watching one filler episode because a minor main character appears and I love that character, and he doesn't get enough screen time.)

MelloLily said:

Feel is like Sherlock Holmes... which also makes sense, because the main character is obsessed with Sherlock Holmes. Shinichi refers to Holmes a lot (there is even an episode where he visits England to see the Holmes museum.) A crime happens and the main character solves it. However, there is a major overall plot on top of everything, that is still going on. As the series advances much later down the road, a lot of interesting things happen that relate to the main plot.

I do recommend skipping the filler episodes, which I can give you that list should you wish. It would cut the anime in half. (Except I recommend watching one filler episode because a minor main character appears and I love that character, and he doesn't get enough screen time.)

Sure.I would love to have such a list.I am watching "fairy tail" so I might watch it in the near future :D

Star_Of_Hope said:
MelloLily said:

Sure.I would love to have such a list.I am watching "fairy tail" so I might watch it in the near future :D

Here, this keeps track of all the TV Originals: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Anime
Also note that the dubbed version stopped at episode 130 (episodes don't line up with Japanese either, so dubbed episode is 130 but Japanese episode is 123). I do not recommend dubbed because of this and because they change the names and places (like come on, Boston, New York?)

Also I would make sure that you see all the episodes here, because Heiji is awesome and I think one of his episodes are a filler: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Heiji_Hattori_Appearances

(Was too lazy to do the html link thing.)

MelloLily said:
Here, this keeps track of all the TV Originals: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Anime
Also note that the dubbed version stopped at episode 130 (episodes don't line up with Japanese either, so dubbed episode is 130 but Japanese episode is 123). I do not recommend dubbed because of this and because they change the names and places (like come on, Boston, New York?)

Also I would make sure that you see all the episodes here, because Heiji is awesome and I think one of his episodes are a filler: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Heiji_Hattori_Appearances

I will save this post for now :D

You have been a great help and I am really grateful for that :)

Star_Of_Hope said:
MelloLily said:

I will save this post for now :D

You have been a great help and I am really grateful for that :)

No problem :)

MelloLily said:

I haven't seen any of the Detective Conan. I don't think I will be watching 700+ episodes (that is the number you've mentioned, right?) of the original series, not yet at least - it is just a little too intimidating undertaking =0 But I'd like to see something, so I am thinking, would it be better to watch first few episodes or jump into a movie. What would you suggest?

Sindar said:
MelloLily said:

I haven't seen any of the Detective Conan. I don't think I will be watching 700+ episodes (that is the number you've mentioned, right?) of the original series, not yet at least - it is just a little too intimidating undertaking =0 But I'd like to see something, so I am thinking, would it be better to watch first few episodes or jump into a movie. What would you suggest?

If you skip the filler episodes, it cuts the anime in half. I do recommend the movies, they are all great. So if you want to watch those first, go for it. I do recommend watching it in subbed because the dubbed version changes the names of people and places to be Americanized. Plus, dubbed only has 6 of the 18 movies (actually there are side movies too) and 130 dubbed episodes (which equals out to only the first 123 episodes in subbed).

MelloLily said:
Sindar said:
MelloLily said:

If you skip the filler episodes, it cuts the anime in half. I do recommend the movies, they are all great. So if you want to watch those first, go for it. I do recommend watching it in subbed because the dubbed version changes the names of people and places to be Americanized. Plus, dubbed only has 6 of the 18 movies (actually there are side movies too) and 130 dubbed episodes (which equals out to only the first 123 episodes in subbed).

Alright, that is good news. Usually with movies that come along with TV series it is a game of chance, you can get good ones, like with Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro or mediocre ones like with Bleach movies and such. Since from what I've heard Detective Conan is kinda episodic, I thought they should be able to have good side stories, hence make interesting movies.

So do I start with Detective Conan Movie 01: The Timed Skyscraper? =)

Sindar said:
MelloLily said:
Sindar said:
MelloLily said:

Alright, that is good news. Usually with movies that come along with TV series it is a game of chance, you can get good ones, like with Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro or mediocre ones like with Bleach movies and such. Since from what I've heard Detective Conan is kinda episodic, I thought they should be able to have good side stories, hence make interesting movies.

So do I start with Detective Conan Movie 01: The Timed Skyscraper? =)

Yes, that is the first one. But if you like Lupin III, there is a "Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: Special (2009)" and a movie "Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: Movie (2013)". Watch the special first, if you decided to watch these... the movie refers to the special a lot.

MelloLily said:
Yes, that is the first one. But if you like Lupin III, there is a "Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: Special (2009)" and a movie "Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: Movie (2013)". Watch the special first, if you decided to watch these... the movie refers to the special a lot.

I'll get to those Lupin III vs. Detective Conan films too someday. I am not in a haste there, cause I have a feeling I know how this ting is going to go. It is not like either Lupin or Conan is going to be beaten, so the only way to end this is for them to team up :D I would really be surprised if they won't find a common enemy or something.

Sindar said:
MelloLily said:

I'll get to those Lupin III vs. Detective Conan films too someday. I am not in a haste there, cause I have a feeling I know how this ting is going to go. It is not like either Lupin or Conan is going to be beaten, so the only way to end this is for them to team up :D I would really be surprised if they won't find a common enemy or something.

I won't say. But I also recommend to watch the first two episodes before watching the movies, just so you have an idea what is wrong with the main character. Also, watching the movies (around movie 3+), there will be a character in those that give a spoiler to the anime series. It explains who she is in the opening credits, but personally I think it is best to find that out through watching episodes.

MelloLily said:
I won't say. But I also recommend to watch the first two episodes before watching the movies, just so you have an idea what is wrong with the main character. Also, watching the movies (around movie 3+), there will be a character in those that give a spoiler to the anime series. It explains who she is in the opening credits, but personally I think it is best to find that out through watching episodes.

Yeah, I probably will do it this way. "What's wrong" - you mean why he is a kid but gets into all sorts of trouble with criminals and such :D I am not afraid of spoilers too much, when I was watching Hokuto no Ken I started with a movie which spoiled a ton of the major plot points, but it didn't bother me too much and I am still a fan of the franchise.

Sindar said:
MelloLily said:

Yeah, I probably will do it this way. "What's wrong" - you mean why he is a kid but gets into all sorts of trouble with criminals and such :D I am not afraid of spoilers too much, when I was watching Hokuto no Ken I started with a movie which spoiled a ton of the major plot points, but it didn't bother me too much and I am still a fan of the franchise.

Do you know why he is a kid?

Back