Wonder Woman Movie Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Wonder Woman(2017) Movie Review

Plot:
Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when a pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers and her true destiny.

Prelude:
This was my most anticipated movie of the year(along with Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk). I am a huge fan of DC, and Wonder Woman was one of the stand-outs in Batman v Superman, a movie I didn't particularly like. Also, the last legitimately great DC movie was(in my opinion) The Dark Knight Rises. And, the DCEU has been putting out polarising at best to bad movies(at worst) movies. Plus, this is the first 150 million dollar budget movie directed by a woman, and this movie would decide the future of female-led superhero movies. That means, there's an unfair amount of pressure on this movie. I saw this movie on 3rd of June.

Pro's:
The cast: They are very good.
Gal Gadot: Cannot stress this enough. She was awesome as Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman, but, in her solo outing, she has a lot of heart, joy, innocence, naiveté, strength, courage, everything. This is a phenomenal casting choice by the studio. And, she is just phenomenal during the action sequences.
Chris Pine: He was genuinely great in this movie. Whatever the movie wanted, comedy, heart, physicality, he brought out everything. 
The chemistry: The chemistry between Diana Prince/Wonder Woman(Gal Gadot) and Steve Trevor(Chris Pine) is wonderful. These two probably have the best on-screen chemistry in a comic book movie(romantic).
The action sequences: There are three big action sequences in each of the three acts, with a few short ones sprinkled here and there, and they are all genuinely epic and breath-taking. There's a battle sequence in Themyscira, a World War I action scene, and the big epic finale.
The setting: This movie is set during World War I, and the advantage it gives the movie is that it separates from all the other movies, and is solely focused on Wonder Woman, and not on building the shared Universe, so, it doesn't enter into an Iron Man 2 or Batman v Superman kind of situation.
Comedy: The movie is very funny, and the main reason for that is Chris Pine. He knocks it out of the park. 
The CGI for the most part is great.
The movie is very colourful and gorgeous, and this is a welcome breath of fresh air from the last few movies that have been grey-scale, dull and life-less.
The hero's journey or arc is realised in a beautiful way.
There are many homages to the 1978 classic Superman: The Movie.
The movie isn't just filled with bloated action sequences, and has a lot of heart and personal, meaningful scenes.
The movie doesn't try to empower women at the expense of men. I wasn't sitting in the theatre, behind reminded of how my gender is horrible. The movie is more focused on equality and peace.

Con's:
There's more slow-motion than my liking.
The CGI gets a little too much in the third act.
The final action scene can become a bit bloated.
The villains are extremely under-developed.
The movie could have benefited from being at least 10 minutes shorter.

Verdict:
Overall, this is a very very good movie. This is the best DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises, and easily the best DCEU movie. While this is not as good as say Logan, it's certainly better than many comic books movies that have come out in the recent past. Score: 7.9/10.

Wonder Woman(2017) Movie Review

Plot:
Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when a pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers and her true destiny.

Prelude:
This was my most anticipated movie of the year(along with Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk). I am a huge fan of DC, and Wonder Woman was one of the stand-outs in Batman v Superman, a movie I didn't particularly like. Also, the last legitimately great DC movie was(in my opinion) The Dark Knight Rises. And, the DCEU has been putting out polarising at best to bad movies(at worst) movies. Plus, this is the first 150 million dollar budget movie directed by a woman, and this movie would decide the future of female-led superhero movies. That means, there's an unfair amount of pressure on this movie.

Pro's:
The cast: They are very good.
Gal Gadot: Cannot stress this enough. She was awesome as Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman, but, in her solo outing, she has a lot of heart, joy, innocence, naiveté, strength, courage, everything. This is a phenomenal casting choice by the studio. And, she is just phenomenal during the action sequences.
Chris Pine: He was genuinely great in this movie. Whatever the movie wanted, comedy, heart, physicality, he brought out everything. 
The chemistry: The chemistry between Diana Prince/Wonder Woman(Gal Gadot) and Steve Trevor(Chris Pine) is wonderful. These two probably have the best on-screen chemistry in a comic book movie(romantic).
The action sequences: There are three big action sequences in each of the three acts, with a few short ones sprinkled here and there, and they are all genuinely epic and breath-taking. There's a battle sequence in Themyscira, a World War I action scene, and the big epic finale.
The setting: This movie is set during World War I, and the advantage it gives the movie is that it separates from all the other movies, and is solely focused on Wonder Woman, and not on building the shared Universe, so, it doesn't enter into an Iron Man 2 or Batman v Superman kind of situation.
Comedy: The movie is very funny, and the main reason for that is Chris Pine. He knocks it out of the park. 
The CGI for the most part is great.
The movie is very colourful and gorgeous, and this is a welcome breath of fresh air from the last few movies that have been grey-scale, dull and life-less.
The hero's journey or arc is realised in a beautiful way.
There are many homages to the 1978 classic Superman: The Movie.
The movie isn't just filled with bloated action sequences, and has a lot of heart and personal, meaningful scenes.
The movie doesn't try to empower women at the expense of men. I wasn't sitting in the theatre, behind reminded of how my gender is horrible. The movie is more focused on equality and peace.

Con's:
There's more slow-motion than my liking.
The CGI gets a little too much in the third act.
The final action scene can become a bit bloated.
The villains are extremely under-developed.
The movie could have benefited from being at least 10 minutes shorter.

Verdict:
Overall, this is a very very good movie. This is the best DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises, and easily the best DCEU movie. While this is not as good as say Logan, it's certainly better than many comic books movies that have come out in the recent past. Score: 7.9/10.

I think I might take a look at it. Super heroin movies are rare

Nel said:
I think I might take a look at it. Super heroin movies are rare
Indeed they are. The last one came out a decade ago. And, this movie is the first one that's good(pretty close to great, I'm fact). The ones that have come before, vis-a-vis, Catwoman, Supergirl, Elektra have all been dog-shit.

MadaraUchiha said:
Indeed they are. The last one came out a decade ago. And, this movie is the first one that's good(pretty close to great, I'm fact). The ones that have come before, vis-a-vis, Catwoman, Supergirl, Elektra have all been dog-shit.

Looks like it impressed you. I will watch it then

It's in my watch list ma-chan....it's just that I am not into super heroes or anything in general ._.

Claraviolet said:
It's in my watch list ma-chan....it's just that I am not into super heroes or anything in general ._.
I see. It's not just CGI action. There's a lot of heart, comedy, etc. I assure you, it's a very good movie.

Claraviolet said:

I thought they are all a good watch at least once. You should give them a try

Back