Tokyo Ghoul

Shaurya

Kaneki Ken was just a normal college student until he got involved in an accident and had some ghoul organs implanted into him. Now he can't eat normal food and needs human flesh to survive. The anime is about watching this guy accepting the ghoul inside of him and at the same time trying to protect his human side. He gets acquainted with some other ghouls and learns that ghouls aren't exactly 'bad' guys. They're trying to survive and they need to eat humans to do that. There is an organization called CCG which hunts ghouls.

This anime shows you two sides of the coin. You get to see the humans and the ghouls trying to protect themselves. At the same time both humans and ghouls are conveniently looking at only their side of the coin. Humans think that ghouls are monsters and ghouls hate humans for hunting them down. You watch them kill each other. The best thing about this anime is that there are no good guys and there is no ally of justice. There are no morals and distinction between right and wrong. The characters can act kind and help others but at the same time they can dirty their hands when they need to and kill innocent people in the name of revenge. Every time you watch CCG members and ghouls fight, you can't help but wish for both sides to win because the people on the losing side will die. Tokyo Ghoul is like a beautiful painting covered with ugly smears. You dislike the smears but the more you look at it the more you realize that the smears are actually part of the painting and the painting is beautiful because it has smears.

If you're looking for an anime with a good plot and action, don't watch this anime. The story isn't exactly original. The protagonist suddenly becoming a monster and struggling to live with it is something we've watched in many anime and manga. There isn't much character development and action either. However if you're looking for an anime that gives you something to think about, do watch this anime. This anime is interesting because there are no easy answers. It gives you a lot of problems and you want to find the answers but no matter how hard you try you never find them.

The art is colorful and has a mixture of many brilliant colors. Take a look at these images.

2014-07-12_0906.png

2014-07-04_0959.png

Episodes:12
Status:Currently airing (It will end in a couple of weeks)
MAL rating: 8.13
My rating: 8

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for reading =)

You can say that it has good action if you are looking for moments of tension, for moments were you really think a character can die. It is a pretty ruthless show, and even if it is not that complicated in terms of the story, I think you can still find it thrilling. At least for me, every time when something happens, a fight or some important event, I have this quick reaction "Is this going to affect any of the people I care about in this anime? What are the chances that this and this person will have his/her life ruined because of it?" That makes add to the experience you have when watching it =)

Also.... I am so sorry I haven't seen the last two episodes that you've reviewed :lost1: Going to watch them today, a little bit later (_ _)/

Sindar said:
You can say that it has good action if you are looking for moments of tension, for moments were you really think a character can die. It is a pretty ruthless show, and even if it is not that complicated in terms of the story, I think you can still find it thrilling. At least for me, every time when something happens, a fight or some important event, I have this quick reaction "Is this going to affect any of the people I care about in this anime? What are the chances that this and this person will have his/her life ruined because of it?" That makes add to the experience you have when watching it =)

Also.... I am so sorry I haven't seen the last two episodes that you've reviewed :lost1: Going to watch them today, a little bit later (_ _)/

I rarely felt the tension -.- I am usually busy thinking about how the characters are going to react most of the time. This anime is great because it is ruthless =) It doesn't have a sweet story where the main character kills some awful villain and lives happily ever after. There is no 'happily ever after' for Kaneki. That is what makes it interesting.

I am not proud of how I've written it (_ _) I wrote it late at night when I was sleepy and didn't even check for the typos >. < I am afraid to read it now since I don't know what I'll find in it T.T

Shaurya said:
I rarely felt the tension -.- I am usually busy thinking about how the characters are going to react most of the time. This anime is great because it is ruthless =) It doesn't have a sweet story where the main character kills some awful villain and lives happily ever after. There is no 'happily ever after' for Kaneki. That is what makes it interesting.

I am not proud of how I've written it (_ _) I wrote it late at night when I was sleepy and didn't even check for the typos >. < I am afraid to read it now since I don't know what I'll find in it T.T

Yep, Kaneki has already lost his chance for a happy life in usual terms. I really want to see how everything works out for him though. Cause maybe he can have the kind of happy life Touka has, where you don't get to enjoy it for free, but you can still enjoy it. Or maybe they will just put him down, show how Kaneki gradually falls to his demise. That would be a brave thing to do with a character like him, but that would be a sad end of this story.

:D Tonight I will uncover what is hidden in that post xP

Sindar said:
Yep, Kaneki has already lost his chance for a happy life in usual terms. I really want to see how everything works out for him though. Cause maybe he can have the kind of happy life Touka has, where you don't get to enjoy it for free, but you can still enjoy it. Or maybe they will just put him down, show how Kaneki gradually falls to his demise. That would be a brave thing to do with a character like him, but that would be a sad end of this story.

:D Tonight I will uncover what is hidden in that post xP

I would like to watch Kenaki fall to his demise. It is twisted but that kinda ending would be sad and interesting to watch =) I haven't decided about whether or not I am going to read the manga yet, considering how the anime is going to end soon. I'll probably not read it though ._.

If you find something bad, be sure to cover it up :p

It is a good anime.............@[Sindar] End? Will it cover all the chapters or is it ending because of lack of popularity or something............I mean, it is quite popular and also has a pretty good ranking in MAL..............And, it is also a good anime.............

MadaraUchiha said:
It is a good anime.............@[Sindar] End? Will it cover all the chapters or is it ending because of lack of popularity or something............I mean, it is quite popular and also has a pretty good ranking in MAL..............And, it is also a good anime.............

As with most anime, they plan to make a certain number of episodes and they stick with it. Tokyo Ghoul is a one cour anime, meaning it was planned to have ~13 episodes. They may make a continuation later though. It is really hard to make on-going series like Naruto or HxH without losing in terms of quality. And judging by the way TG looks it did not have a very big budget, so they probably were not able to get the money they would have needed for a full season with 24 episodes.
It is okay, as you said it is popular and a lot of people liked it, so they will probably make another season soon.

MadaraUchiha said:

I won't mind it if TG didn't have a second season. I dunno why. TG is the kind of anime that can't have an ending. Think about it. How can this anime end? Humans and ghouls can never get along. You can come up with something like maybe Kaneki will change everything, make humans and ghouls come to an understanding. How is that possible? He can ask humans to let ghouls eat dead people. Humans won't be okay with doing that. Just because that person is dead, we won't be okay with someone eating our family members or friends. There can be another ending. Kaneki can get killed or the anime can end after he gets old and dies. So I am okay with not watching this anime's ending, since it is an anime that can't have an ending =)

@[Shaurya] What I meant was that it is a pain to read the manga...........

@[Sindar] I hope they do.............I started Akame ga Kill and watched the 1st ep, the concept was good...........Kinda like FMA:B.................

MadaraUchiha said:

I know. I am not gonna read the manga either >.< But I still don't know whether or not I would like to watch a second season of this anime o_O

Shaurya said:
I won't mind it if TG didn't have a second season. I dunno why. TG is the kind of anime that can't have an ending. Think about it. How can this anime end? Humans and ghouls can never get along. You can come up with something like maybe Kaneki will change everything, make humans and ghouls come to an understanding. How is that possible? He can ask humans to let ghouls eat dead people. Humans won't be okay with doing that. Just because that person is dead, we won't be okay with someone eating our family members or friends. There can be another ending. Kaneki can get killed or the anime can end after he gets old and dies. So I am okay with not watching this anime's ending, since it is an anime that can't have an ending =)

I know what you mean =) But they have to come to a point where they told what they wanted to say, where the show is complete at least in some sense. Remember Ghost in the Shell? It didn't have an ending in a conventional sense. The story did not conclude, we are left guessing what will happen next. But at the same time it is a complete story. Original FMA is another example. I don't think TG will be able to complete itself in the time it has left, that is why I think there will be a second season. 13+13 episodes is not too much for a fiction show =)

MadaraUchiha said:

@[Sindar] I hope they do.............I started Akame ga Kill and watched the 1st ep, the concept was good...........Kinda like FMA:B.................

It is that strange anime with a lot of weirdly dressed characters? They probably don't appear in the first episode though, maybe you haven't seen them yet. When you watch a few episodes tell me what you see about those guys =) I've heard first episode was pretty good though, so maybe it is a good watch.

Sindar said:
I know what you mean =) But they have to come to a point where they told what they wanted to say, where the show is complete at least in some sense. Remember Ghost in the Shell? It didn't have an ending in a conventional sense. The story did not conclude, we are left guessing what will happen next. But at the same time it is a complete story. Original FMA is another example. I don't think TG will be able to complete itself in the time it has left, that is why I think there will be a second season. 13+13 episodes is not too much for a fiction show =)

Yup. The show feels complete and that is probably why I don't want to read the manga. There are anime that feel complete and yet you feel like you want to know how the story is going to end and what is going to happen to the characters and end up reading the manga, like 07-Ghost. TG is not an anime like that. I think I'll be content with just watching the anime. If they aired season 2, I'll watch it but I am not desperately waiting for it. That is what I wanted to say =)

@[Shaurya] Well, I am yet to watch 10's of good anime's, so I won't really mind if they don't make a second season, but it is juz that, I don't want them to not conclude the show properly...........
@[Sindar] The premise is kinda like FMA, but it seems quite different now............The show is kinda good.............

MadaraUchiha said:
@[Shaurya] Well, I am yet to watch 10's of good anime's, so I won't really mind if they don't make a second season, but it is juz that, I don't want them to not conclude the show properly...........

Okay =)

the anime is ok
i'll give a 7/10 to this

the manga of this is waaaaaaayyyyyyy superior
the anime has just rushed with it and the character development isn't well done
but the sad thing is that the manga just ended abruptly with so many cliffhangers
that is really sad because the manga was great

NightBaron said:
the anime is ok
i'll give a 7/10 to this

the manga of this is waaaaaaayyyyyyy superior
the anime has just rushed with it and the character development isn't well done
but the sad thing is that the manga just ended abruptly with so many cliffhangers
that is really sad because the manga was great

I liked the last episode =) Watching Jason and Rize destroy all Kaneki's pretty ideas was amusing in its own twisted way.

I think the anime makers still managed to get their point across. They wanted to make a good argument and they managed to do that. I agree with what you said about the character development.

I'll read the manga then. I don't like abrupt and incomplete endings but I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the manga :full:

Shaurya said:
I liked the last episode =) Watching Jason and Rize destroy all Kaneki's pretty ideas was amusing in its own twisted way.

I think the anime makers still managed to get their point across. They wanted to make a good argument and they managed to do that. I agree with what you said about the character development.

I'll read the manga then. I don't like abrupt and incomplete endings but I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the manga :full:

well i agree the last episode especially the last scene with the music was pretty epic

but the manga has a lot more detail really
u know those 12 eps had almost 70 chaps worth of content and that is almost half the series
some things happened differently in the manga and there were some small extra things which added to each character
those things are missing
the manga is soooo dark as compared to the anime and with the censorship the anime really looses the epic status that the manga has imo

NightBaron said:
well i agree the last episode especially the last scene with the music was pretty epic

but the manga has a lot more detail really
u know those 12 eps had almost 70 chaps worth of content and that is almost half the series
some things happened differently in the manga and there were some small extra things which added to each character
those things are missing
the manga is soooo dark as compared to the anime and with the censorship the anime really looses the epic status that the manga has imo

Yup. I decided to read the anime after watching the last episode :3

Whoa! O.O 70 chapters? Then I think the manga will definitely be worth reading.
D..Dark? *-* That's it. TG manga is officially in my 'To read' list :angel:

Back