Tokyo Ghoul Manga Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Manga Review: Tokyo Ghoul

No. of Volumes: 14
No. of Chapters: 143

I started this manga for various reasons. For one, people said that the first season of the anime adaptation, while it was faithful, was an adaptation that was rushed to hell. And that the second season was not based on the anime at all and was anime-original. Now I don't care if an anime is not faithful to the manga, but I do get curious when there's an overwhelming opinion out there that the anime adaptation has butchered the manga. I'm lukewarm on season 1 of the anime, and I didn't like season 2, at all. When season 3 came, it was announced that it was gonna adapt Tokyo Ghoul: Re, the sequel manga, but the second season didn't cover the rest of the chapters of the original Tokyo Ghoul manga, so I knew it would be confusing to watch it, and well, I started this manga.

Plot:
Ken Kaneki is a bookworm college student who meets a girl named Rize at a cafe he frequents. They're the same age and have the same interests, so they quickly become close. Little does Kaneki know that Rize is a ghoul - a kind of monster that lives by hunting and devouring human flesh. When part of her special organ - "the red child" - is transplanted into Kaneki, he becomes a ghoul himself, trapped in a warped world where humans are not the top of the food chain.

Review:
The whole theme of this manga is about the exploration of morality, how everything isn't black and white. From the first volume, we are lead to question which side is the greater good, or rather, the best of the worst. Kaneki is important in this exploration, for obvious reasons, him being human for all of his life, and suddenly becoming a ghoul, and trying to deal with the dilemma of surviving as a ghoul whilst trying to not harm humans. On the other side is the CCG, the ghoul extermination police force, in which we are made to follow Kotaro Amon, an investigator who has a strong sense of morality, and duty, and makes it his mission to destroy ghouls.
You all have probably seen the Tokyo Ghoul season 1, and it covers the first 7 volumes of the manga. Up to this point the manga is brilliant when it comes to character development and depth. It's done in a very gradual manner and we don't feel like there's a sudden shift in tone. The action in the manga can be good at times, but it can also be confusing. The artwork is very good(obviously, it's a Jump manga), but not extra-ordinary. 

The whole controversy about season 2 is how it deviates from the last 7 volumes of the manga, and this is the main reason why I read it. And here's the thing: the manga is infinitely better. And I as I mentioned above, I don't really care if the anime adaptation deviates from the manga, but comparisons should be made in such a case, especially if the adaptation is just plain bad. And I didn't feel that way just because I read the manga, or because I came to know that it deviated from it, I genuinely didn't like season 2 when I watched it back in Winter 2015, when it came out. Spoilers ahead:
As you know, around the end of season 1, Kaneki was tortured by the Aogiri Tree, and his personality and looks change immensely as a result of that. Whereas in season 2 he joins the Aogiri Tree and becomes an emo edgelord, in the manga, he actually gangs up with a few members of the Aogiri Tree who hate the organisation, escape it, and then go in search of Akihiro Kanou, the doctor who transplanted Rize's organs into Kaneki, which possibly resulted in him becoming a ghoul. Circumstances lead to him discovering major secrets about the doctor, his various experiments, and various secrets about different people. And why is the plot in the manga better? He doesn't join Aogiri Tree in this, and that makes no sense whatsoever. And it's not even explained properly in the anime. The only major commonality is the climax, in which the CCG makes a major attack on the Anteiku Cafe, but the difference is the narrative that leads to it: in the anime the means is not properly explained and they just get to that point, whereas in the manga each thread is woven properly and they only slowly get there. And the ending in the anime is just... plain bad. However, the ending in the manga isn't all that praise worthy. It feels a bit rushed and has a lot of unanswered questions. While there's a sequel manga called Tokyo Ghoul: Re that subsequently released, the review is for this manga alone and so I can only comment on this. And also, in the second half, it does sort of become more focused on the action, than the primary themes the series initially focused on.
Overall, the Tokyo Ghoul manga is a genuinely good that has great characters, pretty good arc, great thematic depth and a pretty good narrative with twists and turns, that's damn entertaining to read.
Score: 8.5/10

You wrote this review? I didn't know you read Tokyo Ghoul Manga!

Edit: Oh wait, I read the first paragraph now, okay I see I see xD

Mansi14 said:
You wrote this review? I didn't know you read Tokyo Ghoul Manga!

Edit: Oh wait, I read the first paragraph now, okay I see I see xD

Of course I wrote it lol.
I'm planning to read Tokyo Ghoul re too instead of watching the first season because the first six official Viz volumes are out there and season 3 covers the first six volumes as well.

MadaraUchiha said:
Of course I wrote it lol.
I'm planning to read Tokyo Ghoul re too instead of watching the first season because the first six official Viz volumes are out there and season 3 covers the first six volumes as well.

That was a nice review! I have read Tokyo Ghoul twice and half of Tokyo Ghoul:re too. I'd love to catch up with it right now but I am lacking overall motivation to do that. When shall you read? What's your speed? Maybe I can join you.

Mansi14 said:
That was a nice review! I have read Tokyo Ghoul twice and half of Tokyo Ghoul:re too. I'd love to catch up with it right now but I am lacking overall motivation to do that. When shall you read? What's your speed? Maybe I can join you.

Sase said:
You gonna do a review fot Re: as well? @"MadaraUchiha" .

Not sure. I'll read the volumes that covered season 1 for sure(which is 6), but after that depending on the quality of these 6 volumes I'll decide whether I'm gonna read the manga(if the first 6 are very good), or the second season of the anime(if the first 6 or mediocre) or if I'll drop the series altogether(if it's bad, obviously).
The only point of contention is that the second season is gonna 12 episodes long, but it's gonna cover 124 chapters, so that's 10 chapters per episode so it's probably gonna be butchered to hell.

MadaraUchiha said:

Not sure. I'll read the volumes that covered season 1 for sure(which is 6), but after that depending on the quality of these 6 volumes I'll decide whether I'm gonna read the manga(if the first 6 are very good), or the second season of the anime(if the first 6 or mediocre) or if I'll drop the series altogether(if it's bad, obviously).
The only point of contention is that the second season is gonna 12 episodes long, but it's gonna cover 124 chapters, so that's 10 chapters per episode so it's probably gonna be butchered to hell.

I see.. I don't like it as well when They tarnish the contents and produce parts And pieces.. For such a good series like this, this sorta treatment aint justice at all..

Sase said:
I see.. I don't like it as well when They tarnish the contents and produce parts And pieces.. For such a good series like this, this sorta treatment aint justice at all..

Well that sounds just perfect to me since I also have to travel in train one hour up and one hour down at least 3-6 times a week, I can finish minimum 1-2 volumes in that (assuming that is around 20 chapters) even if I have friends or other things to do. I don't even understand the point of this, but sounds fun xD

Mansi14 said:
Well that sounds just perfect to me since I also have to travel in train one hour up and one hour down at least 3-6 times a week, I can finish minimum 1-2 volumes in that (assuming that is around 20 chapters) even if I have friends or other things to do. I don't even understand the point of this, but sounds fun xD

When do you wanna start then?
I've the first 5 volumes, and I'll get volume 6 before the end of this month.
Though the thing is I'm not sure if I'll read beyond that: either because I may watch season 4 or because I didn't like the manga itself(in which case I'll drop it).

MadaraUchiha said:
When do you wanna start then?
I've the first 5 volumes, and I'll get volume 6 before the end of this month.
Though the thing is I'm not sure if I'll read beyond that: either because I may watch season 4 or because I didn't like the manga itself(in which case I'll drop it).

I had actually read :re and dropped it at some point earlier... maybe because of the manga? or maybe I had dropped everything at that point. Well in any case, we can start from tomorrow itself, I'll finish it this time. There are few things that I want to know in the plot which I haven't read yet.
The beginning of the series felt a teeny tiny confusing at first, but then everything got a grip and it was interesting I guess.

Mansi14 said:
I had actually read :re and dropped it at some point earlier... maybe because of the manga? or maybe I had dropped everything at that point. Well in any case, we can start from tomorrow itself, I'll finish it this time. There are few things that I want to know in the plot which I haven't read yet.
The beginning of the series felt a teeny tiny confusing at first, but then everything got a grip and it was interesting I guess.

Tomorrow eh? Can't do. I'll try from Friday. Is that okay?

No, digital copy acquired through questionable means.
I really don't know who Sasaki is at this point apart from the fact that he is Kaneki's alter-ego.

Back