The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland) episode 1

Burnsy

V.I.P. Member
Hooolly shit that's one first episode to remember. Introduction, setting, characters and plot points were all set and done really well. There was something I really liked about how the anime felt from the first half of the episode I don't know what it was....maybe it was the sense of dread from the way it was directed, animated and BG music. The opening too was sick. Also hard to describe why I liked it but it just built up the show with it's cinema style aspect ratio and visuals and the song is good too.

As for the second half, *spoilers ahead* I think they way over did it with the brutality and the kind of monsters they showed. I think it fell into edge territory and it's a little unfortunate that mangakas have to always do this to keep audience retention.

This show ticks many of the boxes for a potential favorite of mine but if AOT managed to be so mediocre after it's start this can be too. Pls don't be.

Also the calender showed the year 2045 if anybody caught that. Might be significant.

it's a dark episode and i expected it but i am not prepared for this.
it almost reminded me of killing stalking. cruelty is bad and sick

2045 probably means that this is post-apocalyptic? Or maybe humans have become endangered.
Anyway, the episode was surprisingly well-animated, especially character movement and expressions. I expected everything to go to shit, but not in this episode itself, so while it didn't take me by surprise, I'm happy that it's not meandering.'
As for as the edge factor is concerned I don't think it's as bad as something like Elfen Lied or Mirai Nikki, but I do hope it's more psychological than blood and gore, feels like that would fit the tone of the show more.
Liked both the OP and the ED but probably have to listen to more for both to grow.

MadaraUchiha said:
2045 probably means that this is post-apocalyptic? Or maybe humans have become endangered.
Anyway, the episode was surprisingly well-animated, especially character movement and expressions. I expected everything to go to shit, but not in this episode itself, so while it didn't take me by surprise, I'm happy that it's not meandering.'
As for as the edge factor is concerned I don't think it's as bad as something like Elfen Lied or Mirai Nikki, but I do hope it's more psychological than blood and gore, feels like that would fit the tone of the show more.
Liked both the OP and the ED but probably have to listen to more for both to grow.

What I heard from manga readers was that the first arc is the manga's peak, and since this anime is confirmed to be 12/13 episodes, we'll probably see that getting adapted. Plus with the manga often being compared to Death Note, I expect it to be more psychological than bloody, with great visuals(just like DN).

MadaraUchiha said:
What I heard from manga readers was that the first arc is the manga's peak, and since this anime is confirmed to be 12/13 episodes, we'll probably see that getting adapted. Plus with the manga often being compared to Death Note, I expect it to be more psychological than bloody, with great visuals(just like DN).

Well shit.. Ongoing manga and only 12 confirmed episodes could mean no season 2 ever. Best case scenario is it coming after 6 months or something.

BurnsyCEO said:
Well shit.. Ongoing manga and only 12 confirmed episodes could mean no season 2 ever. Best case scenario is it coming after 6 months or something.

My Hero Academia's first season was 13 episodes though, and we are probably bound to get a season every year forever. Although Neverland isn't a traditional battle Shounen like MHA so it may not get as popular.

MadaraUchiha said:
My Hero Academia's first season was 13 episodes though, and we are probably bound to get a season every year forever. Although Neverland isn't a traditional battle Shounen like MHA so it may not get as popular.

If the anime needs 24 episodes to be finished it should air those 24 episodes at once. 12 now and 12 later and maybe even more a year apart is bad for suspense shows. Compare it to made in abyss taking it's year and a half break instead. Or imagine if death note season 1 ended with L dying and they're like, oh yeah next season is next year. Boku no hero acedemia is a long running shounen action and it fits for it to do this because the alternative is fillers.

BurnsyCEO said:
If the anime needs 24 episodes to be finished it should air those 24 episodes at once. 12 now and 12 later and maybe even more a year apart is bad for suspense shows. Compare it to made in abyss taking it's year and a half break instead. Or imagine if death note season 1 ended with L dying and they're like, oh yeah next season is next year. Boku no hero acedemia is a long running shounen action and it fits for it to do this because the alternative is fillers.

I get you but if this wraps up say like an arc then anyway the next season has to start from a narrative low so it wouldn't be as jarring.

I never expected them to introduce the horror right from the first episode and it is well done too.
I was thinking that they are selling kids for their body parts but never expected them to be sold as food for monsters.

Back