Spiderman Homecoming Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Spider-Man: Homecoming(2017) Movie Review

Plot:
Several months after the events of Captain America: Civil War, Peter Parker, with the help of his mentor Tony Stark, tries to balance his life as an ordinary high school student in Queens, New York City while fighting crime as his superhero alter ego Spider-Man as a new threat, the Vulture, emerges.

[size=small]Prelude[/size][size=small]:[/size]
Spider-Man: Homecoming is the sixteenth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the third reboot of the character. I think that Spider-Man, the 2002 film is great, and Spider-Man 2 is a masterpiece(probably the best Marvel movie, among the X-Men films, the MCU, etc.). I think Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man are lukewarm movies, and I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is pretty bad. I was really impressed with Tom Holland's portrayal of Spidey in Captain America: Civil War, and even though I wasn't looking forward to another Spider-Man movie, I felt this was gonna be a good one. I saw this movie on 08/07/2017.

Pro's:
Tom Holland: He's genuinely good as both Peter Parker and Spider-Man, at least with whatever he's given. He didn't have a big emotional scene where he had to really act, but, he's good.
Acting: All the actors do a good job. Peter Parker's friend, Aunt May, and, of course Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark.
Spider-Man: This is a redundant point, having made the above, but, every time Spider-Man is on-screen, it's awesome. And, it's actually fun, and not dreary and boring, like The Amazing Spider-Man movies. Another point to be made here is that it also addresses stuff like, what if there's no tall buildings, or no buildings at all(he'd have to run, then), that haven't been seen in previous movies.
[size=small]High School: This movie is unique, and nothing like the previous Spider-Man movies. It deals with a teenage Peter Parker having high school problems, and issues, like going to the homecoming, having a crush, bullies, etc.[/size]
Action: The action scenes are fine. They are all done well and are pretty entertaining.
Score: The score is pretty good, but it's still a far-cry from Danny Elfman's score from the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies.
The movie is pretty funny, and dedicates a lot of time to character development.
Michael Keaton: Last, but not the least, Michael Keaton as the vulture. This is easily the best villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe since Loki. He was not just evil, he had a lot of depth and character. And, of course, Michael Keaton is awesome in his portrayal.

Con's:
While this is a good entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the problem is, it's also just another entry in the MCU. It feels like every other movie, and is somewhat forgettable. It's no Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy.
While the action scenes are fine, they are also not intense or visceral. Like for example, the last fight scene in Spider-Man, or the train scene in Spider-Man 2.
The movie doesn't feel like it has a sense of stakes. It's by-the-numbers, and it feels like everyone's safe. Spider-Man doesn't get injured in any scene(or almost anyone for that matter).
The movie also feels like it's inconsequential. The movie was all about Peter Parker proving his worth to Tony Stark.
There could have been more Spider-Man.
There's a lot of time where the movie kind of slows down, and it tests your patience. 

Verdict:
Overall, this is a good entry in the MCU. It's also a good Spider-Man movie, the last good one(IMHO) being thirteen years ago(Spider-Man 2 in 2004). But, it's nowhere near as good as the first two. It's a fun, light-hearted, action packed movie that'll keep you entertained for two hours. 
Score: 7.2/10.

I thought it lost it's popularity after the protagonist change

Nel said:
I thought it lost it's popularity after the protagonist change
It did, during the previous incarnation. This is a new reboot, with another actor. He instantly became popular when he had a brief role in Captain America: Civil War.

MadaraUchiha said:
It did, during the previous incarnation. This is a new reboot, with another actor. He instantly became popular when he had a brief role in Captain America: Civil War.

Seriously why would they want to change the actors so soon?

Claraviolet said:
Spider Man? o_O I thought you are a loyal Batman fan ma-chan

I love Naruto. Does that mean I shy away from watching other shounen anime? I'm watching One Piece now, I've finished 100 episodes of Fairy Tail, I completed Hunter x Hunter 2011, and 63 episodes of Bleach. I really liked all of these except Fairy Tail.

Plus, it's not like I gave a great score to this movie.

MadaraUchiha said:
I love Naruto. Does that mean I shy away from watching other shounen anime? I'm watching One Piece now, I've finished 100 episodes of Fairy Tail, I completed Hunter x Hunter 2011, and 63 episodes of Bleach. I really liked all of these except Fairy Tail.

Plus, it's not like I gave a great score to this movie.
What... Why would you stop watching bleach? Also what does that got anything to do with what we are talking about?

You didn't get what I was talking about did you?
You asked my why I watched Spiderman when I was a fan of Batman, right?
The above was my reasoning. Just because I'm a fan of Batman doesn't mean I won't watch other stuff. And, Spider-Man is like my second favourite super-hero, followed by Daredevil.

And, I didn't stop watching Bleach, I put it on-hold. I'll continue watching it eventually.

MadaraUchiha said:
You didn't get what I was talking about did you?
You asked my why I watched Spiderman when I was a fan of Batman, right?
The above was my reasoning. Just because I'm a fan of Batman doesn't mean I won't watch other stuff. And, Spider-Man is like my second favourite super-hero, followed by Daredevil.

And, I didn't stop watching Bleach, I put it on-hold. I'll continue watching it eventually.

Sorry.....lately I am so tired and even my mom had to say the same thing twice for me to grasp the meaning (_ _)

I have never heard of daredevil....Let me know when you pick up bleach again

Claraviolet said:
Sorry.....lately I am so tired and even my mom had to say the same thing twice for me to grasp the meaning (_ _)

I have never heard of daredevil....Let me know when you pick up bleach again

I finished a major arc in Fairy Tail, and I'm not gonna be watching more than 1 episode a day after this. So, I'm gonna begin Bleach tomorrow or the day after, from Arrancar: Arrival arc, which starts at episode 110.

Every movie can't be a masterpiece. In a series, it's difficult to expect every movie to be excellent. I like spiderman a lot so my opinion here might be biased but I like all the movies and they are all good.

KuranKaname said:
Every movie can't be a masterpiece. In a series, it's difficult to expect every movie to be excellent. I like spiderman a lot so my opinion here might be biased but I like all the movies and they are all good.

I'm a fan of the MCU. I don't expect all of their movies to be great. Just because I really love that franchise doesn't mean I can give a pass to every movie they churn out.

MadaraUchiha said:
I finished a major arc in Fairy Tail, and I'm not gonna be watching more than 1 episode a day after this. So, I'm gonna begin Bleach tomorrow or the day after, from Arrancar: Arrival arc, which starts at episode 110.

o_O Not more than one episode....are you busy ma-chan?
Arrancar arc huh....I guess it's good.

Claraviolet said:
o_O Not more than one episode....are you busy ma-chan?
Arrancar arc huh....I guess it's good.

1 episode of Fairy Tail. I will watch other anime. I'm watching Classroom of the Elite right now and after that I'll either start Bleach or Gintama, since the last season will probably start next year.

MadaraUchiha said:
1 episode of Fairy Tail. I will watch other anime. I'm watching Classroom of the Elite right now and after that I'll either start Bleach or Gintama, since the last season will probably start next year.

Wait...we are not going to watch anything together then? ._.
I really wanted to watch something together with you guys ;-;

Claraviolet said:
Wait...we are not going to watch anything together then? ._.
I really wanted to watch something together with you guys ;-;

I saw your thread. Check it.
Aren't you interested in watching on-going anime? Fall 2017 is starting today, and within 6-7 days, we'll be getting a lot of new anime.
Have a look and see what interests you:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

I'm gonna be watching Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara, Black Clover and Mahoutsukai no Yome(which is not in this list).

MadaraUchiha said:
I saw your thread. Check it.
Aren't you interested in watching on-going anime? Fall 2017 is starting today, and within 6-7 days, we'll be getting a lot of new anime.
Have a look and see what interests you:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

I'm gonna be watching Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara, Black Clover and Mahoutsukai no Yome(which is not in this list).

Oh...I am not picky about new anime. I am fine with anything.

Back