SpaceX launches webcasts

I follow space X loosely when they make big announcements/plans. Like with their BFR rocket, mars colonization etc but not for the little things like every rocket they launch. Yes even I'm a big fan of space exploration. To be honest this is one of the best times to be a fan with all the new frontiers being challenged and with renewed interest in going back to the moon and mars after the 50 or so years of doing nothing. Not to mention a private company being able to launch their own rockets at a fraction of the price of the old rockets.

MadaraUchiha said:
Interesting. I haven't watched any of these, though.

They are pretty interesting. They look long, but if you skip to launch, it would be a packed sequence of events for a few minutes, ending with the first stage landing, and then you can stop watching or skip to the last few minutes of the video for the satellite deployment. I found it really interesting when I watched their launches the first few times, allows you to see how these things work.

Sindar said:
They are pretty interesting. They look long, but if you skip to launch, it would be a packed sequence of events for a few minutes, ending with the first stage landing, and then you can stop watching or skip to the last few minutes of the video for the satellite deployment. I found it really interesting when I watched their launches the first few times, allows you to see how these things work.

Well, I have seen those edited launch videos here and there, actually. It's just that I haven't seen full-length videos like these.

Are you gonna watch their attempt to launch Falcon Heavy later this year though?

Probably not.

Btw, besides SpaceX there is this pretty exciting NASA robotics program, the one that produces Valkyrie humanoid robot. I feel like Musk will need these things if he is actually gonna build an autonomous base on Mars.

Theres no way we're sending humanoid robots for any practical applications yet. Waaay to inefficient at doing simple tasks that a specialized robot can do 10x better. They're even bulkier, more expensive and more prone to failure. I never heard of this bot before but it looks like a publicity thing.

BurnsyCEO said:
Are you gonna watch their attempt to launch Falcon Heavy later this year though?

Probably not.

Btw, besides SpaceX there is this pretty exciting NASA robotics program, the one that produces Valkyrie humanoid robot. I feel like Musk will need these things if he is actually gonna build an autonomous base on Mars.

Theres no way we're sending humanoid robots for any practical applications yet. Waaay to inefficient at doing simple tasks that a specialized robot can do 10x better. They're even bulkier, more expensive and more prone to failure. I never heard of this bot before but it looks like a publicity thing.

I think there is a case to be made for humanoid robots, or walking machines in general. There aren't any roads on the Moon or Mars, the infrastructure would have to be suitable for humans (who also use bipedal walking) in either case, etc. The main question is whether or not we can finally make these robots work reliably. Of course, having different types of robots would probably be better still.

I don't think anyone should take the manned missions plans seriously yet xD We will have to be able to produce propellant on Mars before we can send people there, which means dozens of robotic missions first. The first few BFR missions to Mars will just stay there, they won't be able to return to Earth at all. Musk was talking about building a solar array there, which I think is a good goal for a few missions. That is one of the reasons I think NASA should start to plan their participation in Musk's missions, their help would be needed to making building this solar array possible.

Sindar said:
I think there is a case to be made for humanoid robots, or walking machines in general. There aren't any roads on the Moon or Mars, the infrastructure would have to be suitable for humans (who also use bipedal walking) in either case, etc. The main question is whether or not we can finally make these robots work reliably. Of course, having different types of robots would probably be better still.

I don't think anyone should take the manned missions plans seriously yet xD We will have to be able to produce propellant on Mars before we can send people there, which means dozens of robotic missions first. The first few BFR missions to Mars will just stay there, they won't be able to return to Earth at all. Musk was talking about building a solar array there, which I think is a good goal for a few missions. That is one of the reasons I think NASA should start to plan their participation in Musk's missions, their help would be needed to making building this solar array possible.

There are many advantages to using wheels right now. Walking technology just isn't there yet to compete with the simple reliable and energy efficiency wheels provide. Not to mention even if they fail a motor they're still useful. The terrain on both the worlds are easily traversable with wheels.

I guess they'll find a solution shouldn't be unrealistic for them to work together.

Back