Living in India Vs UK( My experience)

Claraviolet

Real hero hidden in the darkness
Staff member
Well, first things first. I am not trying to make fun of anyone or anything and this thread is based on what I have experienced...and nothing more ^-^

Hospitality :
India....people are very friendly and usually they try to help you out a lot. In the UK, they do greet you now and then ...but that's about it -.-" For a loner like me....I am grateful for that.
I am going to share something here....usually I am always cautious and careful but sometimes...you do trip on air >>
It's rare but it happens at least once in 3-5 years. In India, especially women try to help me out( as I am a woman and all ) during those times. Recently I have experienced that embarrassing situation...and people around me or like ... 'are you alright dear' ...however, they didn't touch me. To be honest, I am kinda grateful for that. Thanks to my OCD and stuff, I don't like touchy stuff in general.

Public transport:
Well, I don't use public transport all that much in India >> . I don't like waiting in general...however, now I have to use public transport only... in the UK...and it's kinda hard (_ _)/ The timing and all varies and using the public transport ..well, it's time consuming both in the UK and in India. Well, in the UK ......you do get timing updates from Google maps but it's not that accurate.

Food:
I miss our food ;_; . I am not a good cook....and I usually order stuff online in India. However, in the UK...even if you order food from the Indian restaurants, the taste is a bit too bland (_ _)/. Most of the time, I check the ingredients...as I don't eat most of the meat and seafood....
I miss Biryani, Masala Dosa, Punugulu, Jilebi....man pretty much everything ;_;

Expenses:
Well, the cost of living in the UK is a bit high. In India, when you rent a house for about 25k INR, you don't have to pay the house tax and such. Well, you might have to pay the electricity bill and some maintenance charges but that's about it. So, that would be...hmm around 30k-25k INR ( based on Bengaluru rates). Over here, if you were to rent a house for 1200 pounds, you will have to pay electricity bill, council tax, water bill...and that all adds up to 1550 - 1600 pounds (_ _)/
Groceries and other stuff....they are not that expensive. Just another 400 pounds and you are all set but....by then, the measly salary would be used up ;_; . I feel like I am staying here for just the experience certificate and nothing more. In India...I would have saved at least about 30k INR a month but now...that's close to 10k or less (_ _)/

When people tell you how great it is..... to stay in some other country and all....just ignore them :/
It's not that great and you just can't get used to it. I can't wait to go back to India....and I do regret my decision of taking up a job in the UK....well, that's life.

Temperature:
It's too cold in the UK (_ _)/ . I thought I could get used to it...but I miss my AC room in India.

Medical help:
You can't directly seek medical help here... unless it's an emergency (_ _)/ and you need to book an appointment first....
Well, that's it.

Conclusion:
People are always biased when it comes to their native country....so that includes me as well ^-^ . So, I would love to go back to India ( 630 days to go....yeah I am counting >>)

clarie lol you just want to go and live with your family lol.
will you still want to leave uk when all your family is in uk?

clarie lol you just want to go and live with your family lol.
will you still want to leave uk when all your family is in uk?
-.-" seriously?
Hmm...well, that's ...not sure >> however, family ....my mom is everything to me...so it's kinda hard to answer this question.

I enjoyed my few year stint in the UK.

My culture shock was driving on the wrong side of the road, and the Brit’s inconsistency with which measurement system they want to use that week.

The cost of living wasn’t that different for me.

You sound like a priveleged brat complaining. Only way it would sound worse is complaining you can't get a maid/servant to do your stuff in the UK like I've heard others do.

What about being paid a non exploitative wage, work life balance, better labour laws, city planning, better working institutions, cleanliness, public transport, living standards, social safety nets. What about all the products and services available there but not here? It's a country in decline but it does some things right.

Though no disagreement on weather, food and the healthcare system.

You sound like a priveleged brat complaining. Only way it would sound worse is complaining you can't get a maid/servant to do your stuff in the UK like I've heard others do.

What about being paid a non exploitative wage, work life balance, better labour laws, city planning, better working institutions, cleanliness, public transport, living standards, social safety nets. What about all the products and services available there but not here? It's a country in decline but it does some things right.

Though no disagreement on weather, food and the healthcare system.
O.O I did have a privileged life in a way...and I do admit that I have been pampered by my family.
However, I did start from scratch after I got my job....and...I do admit that....it's hard to hire a maid in the UK (_ _)/ . I have to do the dishes and everything by myself now.

Now, let's discuss about wage stuff....the cost of living in India isn't that much...so....I can't really comment on it. As for the work life balance....may be it's better over here...It's just that, it all comes down to one's own self. If they have what it takes to limit the work and do it ...in a smart way.....everything will be just fine.
Cleanliness...hmmm.....even here you need to look where you are going kiddo....
Products and services....give me the list please. Because....I feel that my standard of living has declined...may be it's just me who feels that way (_ _)/

O.O I did have a privileged life in a way...and I do admit that I have been pampered by my family.
However, I did start from scratch after I got my job....and...I do admit that....it's hard to hire a maid in the UK (_ _)/ . I have to do the dishes and everything by myself now.
Maids are a luxury item in the West. That’s why we associate them with rich people.

“Wow, they make so much money that they don’t have to do their own housework!”

Now, let's discuss about wage stuff....the cost of living in India isn't that much...so....I can't really comment on it. As for the work life balance....may be it's better over here...It's just that, it all comes down to one's own self. If they have what it takes to limit the work and do it ...in a smart way.....everything will be just fine.
Cleanliness...hmmm.....even here you need to look where you are going kiddo....
Products and services....give me the list please. Because....I feel that my standard of living has declined...may be it's just me who feels that way (_ _)/

There's a way to compare wealth between countries with different costs of living, it's called PPP per capita and India's is at 9k dollars while the UK is at 56k so it's not even remotely close. Plus weren't you complaining about how much you work one or two years ago? It is way better in the west.
You are renting a house there and that's why you're spending much more. Additionally they're funding a war and inflation is high and a lot of refugees are coming there so it's maybe worse than usual.
Cleanliness is not debatable you need to open your eyes.
Plenty of products and services are first available in the west because that's where they get exported to because they are consumer markets. High end Electronics, cars, clothes and materials and are usually much better quality.

Last edited:
Maids are a luxury item in the West. That’s why we associate them with rich people.

“Wow, they make so much money that they don’t have to do their own housework!”
Hahah -.-" I guess that's part of the cultural difference ....
There's a way to compare wealth between countries with different costs of living, it's called PPP per capita and India's is at 9k dollars while the UK is at 56k so it's not even remotely close. Plus weren't you complaining about how much you work one or two years ago? It is way better in the west.
You are renting a house there and that's why you're spending much more. Additionally they're funding a war and inflation is high and a lot of refugees are coming there so it's maybe worse than usual.
Cleanliness is not debatable you need to open your eyes.
Plenty of products and services are first available in the west because that's where they get exported to because they are consumer markets. High end Electronics, cars, clothes and materials and are usually much better quality.
Well, yeah I changed my job after that and got 130% hike...thanks to all that knowledge....so...However yeah...it's not fair to work so much. However, as my manager knows a lot about me....if I wanted to step-out for a bit, they wouldn't say much. Over here...I have to apply for leave beforehand(like a week or so prior to the date) and ...it's just different.
Nope...I don't agree with Cleanliness :/ if it's about pollution...then yeah it's a bit different but...cleanliness...nope. Most of the time...I hate touching seats in the public transport( as I have seen kids playing on these seats with their shoes on...and no one says anything about it :/). In India, bus conductors would never allow something like that.

I still use Indian products, clothes, groceries whatnot...so I don't see the difference. May be it's just me...but I still don't see any benefit in staying here....it's different but you know me...I don't like changes to my life in general.
I didn't say anything before because I wanted to see stuff in depth and I have been here for close to 6 months and I still don't think it's better...so that's.....why, I made this thread and before you say anything....it's just based on my experience and opinions kiddo ^^

Well, yeah I changed my job after that and got 130% hike...thanks to all that knowledge....so...However yeah...it's not fair to work so much. However, as my manager knows a lot about me....if I wanted to step-out for a bit, they wouldn't say much. Over here...I have to apply for leave beforehand(like a week or so prior to the date) and ...it's just different.
Nope...I don't agree with Cleanliness :/ if it's about pollution...then yeah it's a bit different but...cleanliness...nope. Most of the time...I hate touching seats in the public transport( as I have seen kids playing on these seats with their shoes on...and no one says anything about it :/). In India, bus conductors would never allow something like that.

I still use Indian products, clothes, groceries whatnot...so I don't see the difference. May be it's just me...but I still don't see any benefit in staying here....it's different but you know me...I don't like changes to my life in general.
I didn't say anything before because I wanted to see stuff in depth and I have been here for close to 6 months and I still don't think it's better...so that's.....why, I made this thread and before you say anything....it's just based on my experience and opinions kiddo ^^
I’m honestly surprised you have a job and moved out your parents’ home if you hate change so much, much less move to a mother country.

Bunch of your own prejudiced experiences which don't even make sense to judge a country by are your justification. And you need to actually want to buy some of the high end items to see the difference. The only argument that isn't nonsense is that you're saving less, but that too could be just because of bad planning or buying habits or maybe you should have negotiated a better salary.

But even if it's 'better' I agree it can be unfamiliar and annoying to get used to and not all benefits and drawbacks are worth the same to different people.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's fine and you can always plan your life the way you want. I would like to travel to places and may be when I am way older, hitting my 50s, I might just do that. I plan to visit India during those trips.

I’m honestly surprised you have a job and moved out your parents’ home if you hate change so much, much less move to a mother country.
Well, stuff happened ;_; if given a choice, I probably wouldn't have chose this route....
I don't like changes and I don't really step out of my home even in India (_ _)/ . It used to drive, even my grandma crazy.
Bunch of your own prejudiced experiences which don't even make sense to judge a country by are your justification. And you need to actually want to buy some of the high end items to see the difference. The only argument that isn't nonsense is that you're saving less, but that too could be just because of bad planning or buying habits or maybe you should have negotiated a better salary.

But even if it's 'better' I agree it can be unfamiliar and annoying to get used to and not all benefits and drawbacks are worth the same to different people.
I am not judging it. Everything got it's own pros and cons. These days when I talk to my friends and they are like 'oh you are so lucky' and I am like 'I really wish I could go back in time to smack myself'. People often go on and on about the perks living in some other country but they don't realize that.....nothing can be compared to home. That's all.

I don't really care about clothes, jewelry and I only care about BJDs and I can easily get them....from India as well...so there is that. However, I am not saying you are wrong kiddo....with my experience....I won't be able to get a good high paying job over here....still, I bet my family wanted me to come here...to experience what it's like to have onsite experience..I think (_ _)/

I do plan to visit Japan one day...and that's all....I don't really plan to settle down anywhere else
lol but live your life clarie.
just don't regret anything after 10 years down the lane
Haha...I am already regretting some stuff....well, thanks Angel.
If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's fine and you can always plan your life the way you want. I would like to travel to places and may be when I am way older, hitting my 50s, I might just do that. I plan to visit India during those trips.
That's cool kiddo ^^

I am not judging it. Everything got it's own pros and cons. These days when I talk to my friends and they are like 'oh you are so lucky' and I am like 'I really wish I could go back in time to smack myself'. People often go on and on about the perks living in some other country but they don't realize that.....nothing can be compared to home. That's all.
Tbh, you went to another country and complained about having to pay for electricity and utilities. I wanna know what country offers that stuff for free.

You’re also portraying it like you were expecting the UK to be India 2.0, whereas most people go to another country to experience another culture. It’s like… what did you expect? It’s one thing to want some comforts of your own country there, but you’re portraying it like you wanted everything to be transplanted there. Sorry, that’s not how that works.

Tbh, you went to another country and complained about having to pay for electricity and utilities. I wanna know what country offers that stuff for free.

You’re also portraying it like you were expecting the UK to be India 2.0, whereas most people go to another country to experience another culture. It’s like… what did you expect? It’s one thing to want some comforts of your own country there, but you’re portraying it like you wanted everything to be transplanted there. Sorry, that’s not how that works.
Alright....let me see if I can explain this.
I never complained in my first post and I just compared the things in both the countries. Like I said before, both the countries got their own set of pros and cons.

I am trying make Burnsy see my own perspective here and nothing more. Most of the people .....after they visit US, Canada, UK etc., they would start complaining about the public transport timings, cleanliness, food being way too spicy....whatnot in India.
I couldn't say anything before because I have never experienced it myself and I thought may be everything is done on time to the utmost perfection...hmm...
However when I first landed here...I thought I must have gone back in time.....there aren't way too many tall buildings and like I said, you still need to look where you are going ...however it's a bit better but that's about it.

Even the public transport....well, I know it's hard to maintain the timings and for a few minutes...we shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Well, let me tell you...I am not complaining but rather comparing stuff.

In my culture, well in my family, we would never wear anything that doesn't cover all the body except for hands, face and feet. So, I can't really get used to the clothing here. Well, even in India, it's almost the same...but like I said, my family is a bit different, I suppose. Also, in my native language I would be able to hold the conversation without making use of a single English word...still, most of the folks around me feel proud ....to not to be able to have their own native language speaking skills. I just don't get the view. Well, let me get back on the track -.-"

I have compared the food, public transport, hospitality, medical help, temperature..whatnot and I did tell you guys how cool it is in both the countries.

I did mention about the expenses and you are all focusing on that o_O To be honest, I don't really care about savings now. Even my family is like...just live a comfortable life first....I don't get how the convo turned all about 'cost of living'.

Anyway, I just made the thread based on my opinion and compared stuff( well, I do think it's a fair comparison and I did mention in my first post that the expenditure can be cut short, if people can adapt to local food habits and such).
That's it...and I don't have anything else to say (_ _)/

Well, stuff happened ;_; if given a choice, I probably wouldn't have chose this route....
I don't like changes and I don't really step out of my home even in India (_ _)/ . It used to drive, even my grandma crazy.

I don't really care about clothes, jewelry and I only care about BJDs and I can easily get them....from India as well...so there is that. However, I am not saying you are wrong kiddo....with my experience....I won't be able to get a good high paying job over here....still, I bet my family wanted me to come here...to experience what it's like to have onsite experience..I think (_ _)/

I do plan to visit Japan one day...and that's all....I don't really plan to settle down anywhere else

Haha...I am already regretting some stuff....well, thanks Angel.

That's cool kiddo ^^
try to be happy clarie.
you won't get a second chance in life. just be there for some months and go back, if you still don't like it much.

Alright....let me see if I can explain this.
I never complained in my first post and I just compared the things in both the countries. Like I said before, both the countries got their own set of pros and cons.

I am trying make Burnsy see my own perspective here and nothing more. Most of the people .....after they visit US, Canada, UK etc., they would start complaining about the public transport timings, cleanliness, food being way too spicy....whatnot in India.
I couldn't say anything before because I have never experienced it myself and I thought may be everything is done on time to the utmost perfection...hmm...
However when I first landed here...I thought I must have gone back in time.....there aren't way too many tall buildings and like I said, you still need to look where you are going ...however it's a bit better but that's about it.

Even the public transport....well, I know it's hard to maintain the timings and for a few minutes...we shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Well, let me tell you...I am not complaining but rather comparing stuff.

In my culture, well in my family, we would never wear anything that doesn't cover all the body except for hands, face and feet. So, I can't really get used to the clothing here. Well, even in India, it's almost the same...but like I said, my family is a bit different, I suppose. Also, in my native language I would be able to hold the conversation without making use of a single English word...still, most of the folks around me feel proud ....to not to be able to have their own native language speaking skills. I just don't get the view. Well, let me get back on the track -.-"

I have compared the food, public transport, hospitality, medical help, temperature..whatnot and I did tell you guys how cool it is in both the countries.

I did mention about the expenses and you are all focusing on that o_O To be honest, I don't really care about savings now. Even my family is like...just live a comfortable life first....I don't get how the convo turned all about 'cost of living'.

Anyway, I just made the thread based on my opinion and compared stuff( well, I do think it's a fair comparison and I did mention in my first post that the expenditure can be cut short, if people can adapt to local food habits and such).
That's it...and I don't have anything else to say (_ _)/
Tbh, if you go back and read your first post, it’s definitely complaining. You complained about having to take public transport, the fact you have to cook, your expenses, the food, the medical care, the weather. Basically every paragraph.

If you make a list of things you don’t like, that’s complaining.

Back