Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Game Series Gets TV Anime

Demon_skeith

Nihon Falcom announced during its 40th anniversary livestream that The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Eiy? Densetsu Sen no Kiseki) game series will get a television anime in 2022. The anime will be a global project with the Taiwanese game company UserJoy (the developer of Falcom's works in Asia outside Japan), Funimation, content fund SYOU, and anime planning and production company NADA.

The original game series depicted the story of Rean Schwarzer in the military academy in the Erebonian Empire, but the anime will have a story that centers on the western part of the Zemurian continent based on the games.

source

This game had the most generic anime tropes that you could possibly find. You have to literally try to have as many overused tropes as possible to end up with this game's plot. It was carried by really good gameplay. No idea why they think it would work in anime form.
Besides cold steel is a middle point in the whole story and people were telling me to play 5 other 100 hour Jrpgs to fully understanding this game at which point I was like sure bro.

[quote="Burnsy" pid='264285' dateline='1632692069']
Besides cold steel is a middle point in the whole story and people were telling me to play 5 other 100 hour Jrpgs to fully understanding this game at which point I was like sure bro.
[/quote]

Those fans are exaggerating that by a lot. Sure to “fully” understand the story, but the main story is completely comprehensible without the previous games.

They also hella exaggerated the Crossbell games. Until very recently when the fan translations came out, it was a game of telephone with the duo. Outside of the diehard fans that knew Japanese, or played the game with a Gamefaqs translation guide in text document format, nobody played them, so it was all here say.

They all just repeated that they were totally required to know what was going on, and they also were debating if the Sky trilogy was required because people actually played those.

After the Crossbell translation patches came out, then they realized how many things in Cold Steel were never addressed in Crossbell.

People are also super anal over what constitutes as a spoiler. If you want someone to juggle between multiple games at once to have a “pooper free” experience, you need to get over yourself.

[quote="Burnsy" pid='264300' dateline='1632717819']

The issue they quoted was more of scenes and characters and events not having the same impact as they would have if you knew their history, not necessarily not being able to understand the story. I did feel that issue myself with many things just being talked about in passive and not having their complete info or relevance laid out for a first timer. But they're dreaming if they think this game, even at it's best has a story worth slogging through some 500 hours of old ass gameplay for a 20% better experience. 
But man this game's combat system was something else. So much depth complexity and customisability that it even ruined the persona series' combat system by making it seem like it's for kids. I found myself fast forwarding boring parts of the dialouge at times to get to the boss fights and I didn't skip even a single side quest that told me to fight some monster.
[/quote]

A lot of the fans will straight up tell you the story is incomprehensible unless you played 500 hours of pre-requisite material, except the vast majority also haven’t played all 5 of the previous games. They were also saying this for Cold Steel 1 and 2 (when 3 and 4 didn’t exist yet), so you really didn’t need to know what was going on.

There’s also a ton of off screen stuff that happens, so there are plenty of things that really were never shown, so you just go with the flow. There’s a lot of stuff that hasn’t happened in any game, so unless you played an older game, you’re never sure which character actually appeared in a previous entry, or had a backstory pulled out of their ass. Honestly, outside of Olivert, I can’t think of any character in Cold Steel 1 and 2 that had anything to do in the previous games…

Before the Crossbell games got translated, they assumed that every unanswered question in Cold Steel 1 and 2 were laid out in full in those games. Needless to say, many were disappointed when they finally got to play Zero and Azure and still didn’t get answers. Tbh most of the fandom is playing a game of telephone.

It’s not uncommon in RPG franchises to have entries skipped over for non-Japanese releases where people overblow the significance of an entry.

Burnsy said:
This game had the most generic anime tropes that you could possibly find. You have to literally try to have as many overused tropes as possible to end up with this game's plot. It was carried by really good gameplay. No idea why they think it would work in anime form.

maybe they will iron out those tropes in the anime, hopefully?

Demon_skeith said:
maybe they will iron out those tropes in the anime, hopefully?

No they really can't iron out the cliche characters and some parts of the story as long as they want to be faithful. It's really deeply imbedded in the way it's written.

Burnsy said:
No they really can't iron out the cliche characters and some parts of the story as long as they want to be faithful. It's really deeply imbedded in the way it's written.

It's going to need a lot of episodes to cover all the characters.

[quote="Demon_skeith" pid='264783' dateline='1633853088']

It's going to need a lot of episodes to cover all the characters.
[/quote]

They’re probably going to pull a Persona and just skim through it.

Back