Kurayami Santa

Is this old anime still ongoing bro?
how many episodes does this anime contain?

Shaurya said:
I remember how the animation in Metopolis looked like. For some reason I really like this part https://sindarfrom.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/metropolis-post-1-pic-6.jpg

Wings of Honneamise? I've never heard of that. Now I have one more anime movie to watch T.T

Yeah =) I'll probably watch that movie again some day just for the sake of the art ^^

>:3

Sebastian said:

Its not really that old, first episode was released a week or two ago :p Second episode I think will be out later today.

It will probably be 12-13 episodes when they finish.

Sindar said:
I do =) I like all kinds of animation styles. Hand drawn animation is my favorite, but I don't mind other types too.

Hand drawn animation?
Is that even possible?
Would you mind giving me a link to your favourite hand drawn anime series?

Star_Of_Hope said:
Sindar said:
I do =) I like all kinds of animation styles. Hand drawn animation is my favorite, but I don't mind other types too.

Hand drawn animation?
Is that even possible?
tumblr_mdwx2ctdit1qehmh1o1_500.gif

cagliostro.png

tumblr_mab0v2brjt1r110cno1_r1_500.jpg

That was Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, directed by Miyazaki, released in 1979.

Here is Akira, released in 1988, directed by Katsuhiro Otomo:

tumblr_nqjetvPZgF1ut5upuo1_500.gif

tumblr_mlw64vnS3b1sor8q8o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne1zrszqvA1sj3omto6_540.jpg

And here is Macross: Do You Remember Love?, released in 1984

scandal-hunter.jpg

macross-dyrl-15.jpg

macross-do-you-remember-love-hikaru-minmay-poster.jpg

vlcsnap-140264.png

Sindar said:
Star_Of_Hope said:
Sindar said:

Hand drawn animation?
Is that even possible?
tumblr_mdwx2ctdit1qehmh1o1_500.gif

cagliostro.png

tumblr_mab0v2brjt1r110cno1_r1_500.jpg

That was Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, directed by Miyazaki, released in 1979.

Here is Akira, released in 1988, directed by Katsuhiro Otomo:

tumblr_nqjetvPZgF1ut5upuo1_500.gif

tumblr_mlw64vnS3b1sor8q8o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne1zrszqvA1sj3omto6_540.jpg

And here is Macross: Do You Remember Love?, released in 1984

scandal-hunter.jpg

macross-dyrl-15.jpg

macross-do-you-remember-love-hikaru-minmay-poster.jpg

vlcsnap-140264.png

They don't look like hand drawn animation.
They look like software involved animation.
How do you differ them?

Sindar said:
Shaurya said:
I remember how the animation in Metopolis looked like. For some reason I really like this part https://sindarfrom.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/metropolis-post-1-pic-6.jpg

Wings of Honneamise? I've never heard of that. Now I have one more anime movie to watch T.T

Yeah =) I'll probably watch that movie again some day just for the sake of the art ^^

>:3

Sebastian said:

Its not really that old, first episode was released a week or two ago :p Second episode I think will be out later today.

It will probably be 12-13 episodes when they finish.

that's a short anime.
i will watch it then bro xD
do you have any other anime for me?

Star_Of_Hope said:
How do you differ them?

See, isn't it amazing how they were able to make something like that with normal drawing? ^^ There number of way to tell if something is hand drawn. The easiest is to look at the date or read about the production of the cartoon. For example, The Castle of Cagliostro is so old, it could not possible be done on PC cause it wasn't even possible back then. Plus it is well known that Miyazaki prefers hand drawn animation, so most of his older movies would be traditionally animated. Akira movie is known for the unbelievable amount of work put into its animation, they used about 150 000 cels to draw it. They used a bit of computer generated graphics too, I think mostly in order to make reference pictures for moving objects. I don't think they used digital painting.

But it is also possible to tell if something is hand drawn just by looking at the animation. For example in low budget hand drawn anime characters tend to go off model (slightly change their features in different frames), its a good indication. There are more subtle differences that are really hand to explain or describe. You have seen Slayers anime right? Look at those two pictures:

tumblr_nauyg0Hr2A1thccgxo2_1280.jpg

slayers_revolution_13_large_ending_05_manga_anime_desktop_1280x720_wallpaper-282790.jpg
old-man-and-a-sea-pic1.jpg

It is painted over glass, so it is not what you usually see in anime. But it is definitely hand drawn =)

Sindar said:
Star_Of_Hope said:
How do you differ them?

See, isn't it amazing how they were able to make something like that with normal drawing? ^^ There number of way to tell if something is hand drawn. The easiest is to look at the date or read about the production of the cartoon. For example, The Castle of Cagliostro is so old, it could not possible be done on PC cause it wasn't even possible back then. Plus it is well known that Miyazaki prefers hand drawn animation, so most of his older movies would be traditionally animated. Akira movie is known for the unbelievable amount of work put into its animation, they used about 150 000 cels to draw it. They used a bit of computer generated graphics too, I think mostly in order to make reference pictures for moving objects. I don't think they used digital painting.

But it is also possible to tell if something is hand drawn just by looking at the animation. For example in low budget hand drawn anime characters tend to go off model (slightly change their features in different frames), its a good indication. There are more subtle differences that are really hand to explain or describe. You have seen Slayers anime right? Look at those two pictures:

tumblr_nauyg0Hr2A1thccgxo2_1280.jpg

slayers_revolution_13_large_ending_05_manga_anime_desktop_1280x720_wallpaper-282790.jpg
old-man-and-a-sea-pic1.jpg

It is painted over glass, so it is not what you usually see in anime. But it is definitely hand drawn =)

Can you give me a link to that animation where there are english subtitles?
So a low budget anime is most likely uses hand drawn stuff.
That's a bit difficult for me to process :D

Star_Of_Hope said:
Can you give me a link to that animation where there are english subtitles?
So a low budget anime is most likely uses hand drawn stuff.
That's a bit difficult for me to process :D
Sebastian said:
Sindar said:
Also short? =)

if the plot is good, i don't mind long anime bro
and knowing you, you will find some good anime for me :D

English sub is better than English dub, according to me.
We can learn the language that way :D
I see.
Well, it will take me some time to know them just by looking :D

Star_Of_Hope said:
English sub is better than English dub, according to me.
We can learn the language that way :D
I see.
Well, it will take me some time to know them just by looking :D

Just now I was looking for a Russian dub version and I wasn't able to find it. Then I have read wiki article about the cartoon, and I am not even sure if I was right to call it "russian cartoon" o_O Apparently Petrov (the creator of this piece) worked in Canada. He is a Russian animator, so I just assumed he worked in Russia, but I was wrong =) So you should watch it in English, that is probably the original language for the film.

Sindar said:
Just now I was looking for a Russian dub version and I wasn't able to find it. Then I have read wiki article about the cartoon, and I am not even sure if I was right to call it "russian cartoon" o_O Apparently Petrov (the creator of this piece) worked in Canada. He is a Russian animator, so I just assumed he worked in Russia, but I was wrong =) So you should watch it in English, that is probably the original language for the film.

Do you gather the history for every anime you watch, sindar? :D
That's very loyal of you :D

Star_Of_Hope said:
Sindar said:

thanks, my man
you are a life saver!
why doesn't it have any audio my man?

Sindar said:
Star_Of_Hope said:
Sindar said:

Interesting. Who is the great author aaccording to you Sindar?

Star_Of_Hope said:

You mean which writers I think are great? That is a hard question =) Most of the books I've read I read in my childhood, and I am not able to judge them. I can pick great books out of what I have been reading recently, and I can just list the authors of those books as "great" because they made such well written novels. For example I can praise Margaret Mitchell for her "Gone with the Wind", John Steinbeck for his "The Grapes of Wrath", Harper Lee for her "To Kill a Mockingbird". That is if we talk about serious literature =) I would also praise Rowling for Harry Potter series and Tolkien for all his Middle Earth books.

But that is kinda a weird way of judging writers, isn't it? =) Going from only one good book (or a series of books) and ignoring the rest of their legacy. There are very few writes I have read enough to be sure how I feel about them. For example I think Agatha Christie is a great crime novel writer and a good writer in general. Terry Pratchett is a talented comedy and satire writer.

You see why I said it is a hard question. right? =) I can't just give you a list, I don't have one.

Sindar said:
Star_Of_Hope said:

You mean which writers I think are great? That is a hard question =) Most of the books I've read I read in my childhood, and I am not able to judge them. I can pick great books out of what I have been reading recently, and I can just list the authors of those books as "great" because they made such well written novels. For example I can praise Margaret Mitchell for her "Gone with the Wind", John Steinbeck for his "The Grapes of Wrath", Harper Lee for her "To Kill a Mockingbird". That is if we talk about serious literature =) I would also praise Rowling for Harry Potter series and Tolkien for all his Middle Earth books.

But that is kinda a weird way of judging writers, isn't it? =) Going from only one good book (or a series of books) and ignoring the rest of their legacy. There are very few writes I have read enough to be sure how I feel about them. For example I think Agatha Christie is a great crime novel writer and a good writer in general. Terry Pratchett is a talented comedy and satire writer.

You see why I said it is a hard question. right? =) I can't just give you a list, I don't have one.

I see.
But a single book is enough to make a lasting felling in our heart :D
So, reading one such book is enough :D

Are you into "Happily ever after" stories? :D

Back