JRPGs and their unique style

I’m not sure if JRPG’s use dungeon crawling and RPG mechanics for easier programming. The genre is based off of DnD, and old PC RPG’s like Ultima and Wizardry, which are both also based on DnD. So the dungeon crawling is part of the territory.

I'm trying to get into turn based JRPGs soon. I'm slowly making my way through DQ11S demo which is quite lengthy

Gotta love me some JRPGs, you're right in saying it's not necessarily focused on a dopamine rush - this is actually one of the big reasons I like turn-based games especially, they're just so damn chill. Couple that with a nice colorful artstyle & at least a halfway decent plot and soundtrack, it'll always make for a good time.
FFVII and KH1&2 were my first JRPGs, then P3 & P4 sealed the deal for me.

I was playing "Tokyo Xanadu ex+", which I believe is from the same company as Trails, but the performance could actually be quite bad on Linux so I've not come back to it since. Seems pretty good if you're in the mood for something Persona-y

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

apathy said:
Gotta love me some JRPGs, you're right in saying it's not necessarily focused on a dopamine rush - this is actually one of the big reasons I like turn-based games especially, they're just so damn chill. Couple that with a nice colorful artstyle & at least a halfway decent plot and soundtrack, it'll always make for a good time.
FFVII and KH1&2 were my first JRPGs, then P3 & P4 sealed the deal for me.

I was playing "Tokyo Xanadu ex+", which I believe is from the same company as Trails, but the performance could actually be quite bad on Linux so I've not come back to it since. Seems pretty good if you're in the mood for something Persona-y

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes they're so chill to play you just get lost in the world sometimes and the length becomes a non issue or a plus point. Trials has an ok soundtrack but persona 4 had banger songs which I really hope I'll see more of.

[quote="apathy" pid='256607' dateline='1621884247']
I was playing "Tokyo Xanadu ex+", which I believe is from the same company as Trails
[/quote]

They’re both by Falcolm. Tokyo Xanadu is basically a weird fanservice game to Falcolm fans. The gameplay is a mix between Ys and Trails of Cold Steel, and it’s got shoutouts to a lot of their backlog, like Xanadu, and even Dragonslayer.

My guess is you were the type of those who get fascinated by graphic and exclusively play FPS because their graphic are so good lol (typical PC gamer lol)

I agree cold steel is amazing, brought back some life into the JRPG series. I'll be playing Xanadu here shortly.

[quote="Demon_skeith" pid='256671' dateline='1621924780']
I agree cold steel is amazing, brought back some life into the JRPG series. I'll be playing Xanadu here shortly.
[/quote]

I think the reason why I wasn’t super blown away by Cold Steel was that I played Trails in the Sky. So outside of adding the Persona-esque daily schedule stuff, it was just minor stuff like slightly refined battle system and better graphics.I also played stuff like Lunar and Grandia in the past, and if you wanna mention the mech battles, Xenogears exists.

That’s the interesting thing in the genre is that while the genre is fairly popular, a large chunk of the genre is still fairly obscure. A lot of the time, entries that kick start a boost in popularity that get praise for being innovative are usually not innovative in the genre, or even in their own franchise. Usually it’s just the first one that had any kind of hype.

The genre is also pretty notorious for fans only playing the famous entries, or only playing anything newer than what they started on. Outside of Final Fantasy where it’s usually reinventing itself every entry, most of the other franchises are fairly static. So the reason you hear tons of hype on specific entries over others has very little to do with quality or reinvention, it’s entirely on exposure.

I never tried playing JRPGs games, but I've live streamed on YouTube, it is super console game that really engage gamers.

Back