How do you usually rate anime?

HannahCN said:
I agree you should try to rate anime (and if you can find the energy, anything you watch) whenever you can to help other people. Personally I use IMDb, which has a bit of a harsher rating system than I think most other sites use.

Basically:
5: Not good, but I enjoyed it enough to not fail it.
6: It was okay. Lots of stuff to nitpick, but I enjoyed it.
7: Good. More stuff to like than to dislike, watch when you find the time.
8: Stuff starts to stand out here. Really good. A few things could have been done better, but really, this is starting to boil down more to taste than anything else.
9: Yeah... I *guess* if I want I can find a few things that *maybe* could have been better? I'll recommend you these ones all day long.
10: Perfect. It's basically what a 9 is with a dose of that certain je-ne-sais-quoi that touches the heart, gives you a life lesson to carry with you, or just... Stuff doesn't need to be flawless to be a 10. It needs to make me stop caring that it wasn't. I've only ever rated one anime a 10, and that was A Place Further Than The Universe - and if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

That's something.
I am sure not many can get a rating of 10 from you, Hannah chan.

[quote="Grungie" pid='234382' dateline='1609566152']
I don’t really rate the shows I watch on a scale. I’ll just say if it’s good or not.
[/quote]

o_O That's something.
I try to pick an anime based on the rating alone, most of the time....unless someone I know recommends it

[quote="Claraviolet" pid='234391' dateline='1609567406']

o_O That's something.
I try to pick an anime based on the rating alone, most of the time....unless someone I know recommends it
[/quote]

I don’t trust aggregate sites, or at least take the numbers that seriously. If it’s between 7-10 it’s probably good, and if it’s below a 5 it’s probably bad. Anything more specific than that, I’d have to see an individual’s score that I trust as opposed to a community.

Some aggregate sites just really hate certain genres or franchises, so you’ll never get an accurate score, that and on sites like MAL, subsequent seasons will almost always be rated higher than the first one, because people who didn’t like the first season wouldn’t bother with the subsequent seasons. You see it a lot with slice of life shows, especially the pointless cute girls doing cute things genre. It’s more obvious with that genre, as there’s rarely ever a quality difference between subsequent seasons. If you saw season 1, you saw season 2... or 3

Back