Fantastic Beasts movie review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Plot:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them opens in 1926 as Newt Scamander has just completed a global excursion to find and document an extraordinary array of magical creatures. Arriving in New York for a brief stopover, he might have come and gone without incident, were it not for a No-Maj(American for Muggle) named Jacob, a misplaced magical case, and the escape of some of Newt's fantastic beasts, which could spell trouble for both the wizarding and No-Maj worlds.

Pro's:
Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander: You could say he pretty much carries the movie, as far as characters are concerned. He is like-able, and sweet, and you could really feel the love he has for beasts, and that he doesn't want them harmed.
Other characters: The stand-out was definitely Dan Fogler as Jacob. This is like the audience character, he is a muggle, and he is amazed by magic and everything, and he is extremely funny. The other characters were kind of fine, and everyone acted well.
The Fantastic Beasts: Best part of the movie, easily. They are all well-designed, and really like-able, and I was awed constantly.
The Direction: Once again, David Yates has directed a very good Potter movie, with long takes of action and visual effects.
Visual effects.
Action Set-pieces.
This movie can stand on its own:Con's:
The Pacing: Whenever the movie has nothing to do with the Fantastic Beasts, the movie kind of falters, but, it's tolerable.
Exposition: Like every fantasy movie, there are scenes where characters are just dumped with information, and in this case, it's Jacob.
The Epilogue after the Climax: Now, the climax action set-piece is very good, but, the epilogue after that seems to drag on and on and we are just waiting for the credits to roll, which is unfortunate, I wish they could have trimmed it a bit.
Tonally Disjoint:The characters were not as appealing as those in the Harry Potter movies.

Verdict:
Overall, this is a fun, family entertainer with a very good main character, with an amazing re-imagining of the Potter-verse(and of course with cool easter eggs tying it into the original series) set in New York, and while it has issues, it's worth watching, especially in 3D.
I would give this 7.4/10.

For a second I thought this is fantastic four review. How do you compare it with fantastic four?

Fantastic Beasts is a Harry Potter spin-off, and is a very good movie.... Every single Fantastic Four movie is terrible, and I personally don't like the four characters themselves.....

MadaraUchiha said:
Fantastic Beats is a Harry Potter spin-off, and is a very good movie.... Every single Fantastic Four movie is terrible, and I personally don't like the four characters themselves.....
I didn't know that. Don't tell me we can actually see the same actors in this movie. I watched fantastic four. It's not bad but I don't like all the drama between the main protagonists. Except for that the graphics, story aren't half-bad. Don't you agree?

Nel said:
I didn't know that. Don't tell me we can actually see the same actors in this movie. I watched fantastic four. It's not bad but I don't like all the drama between the main protagonists. Except for that the graphics, story aren't half-bad. Don't you agree?

I already told in the review that Fantastic Beasts takes place in 1926, 70 years before the events of Harry Potter, so, no, we don't see the same actors, but, it's set in the same world....
As far as Fantastic Four is concerned, I think the source material itself sucks.... I don't find the four of them appealing, and their origin story is crap.... Plus, like, the 1990's film was dogsh*t, the ones that came after 2000 fit under 'so bad that it's good', they are so bad that you can make fun of them, kind of like Batman and Robin.... The 2015 movie, however, tried to be The Dark Knight, and it failed miserably..... It boasted a talented cast, and a promising director, and it was atrocious, because it didn't embrace the characters, and tried to take itself seriously, with the name 'Fantastic' on its title..... It looked dull, and was horrible......

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the HP world before Harry himself was born :p Saying that, I don't see 4 more movies happening

SolarFlare said:
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the HP world before Harry himself was born :p Saying that, I don't see 4 more movies happening
Well, it does look like they are going to make the franchise into a Grindelwald vs Dumbledore storyline, especially with the casting decision of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald....

MadaraUchiha said:
Well, it does look like they are going to make the franchise into a Grindelwald vs Dumbledore storyline, especially with the casting decision of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald....

I wonder if they will make us watch the next generation like naruto

MadaraUchiha said:
I don't think they will, and even if they do, it'll take at least 8 years from now.....

What makes you say that? Is it because of the time it took for Harry Potter?

Nel said:
What makes you say that? Is it because of the time it took for Harry Potter?

Well, because there's gonna be four more movies after this one, and, assuming that it's gonna be the same cast and crew, it'll take 8 years for this to get over, and after that, JK Rowling has to be interested in continuing the Harry Potter saga......

MadaraUchiha said:
Well, because there's gonna be four more movies after this one, and, assuming that it's gonna be the same cast and crew, it'll take 8 years for this to get over, and after that, JK Rowling has to be interested in continuing the Harry Potter saga......

I hope she is not like kishimoto. I don't want to end up hating Harry Potter

Nel said:

Nel said:

Who knows, I mean, there've been two times prequels have been made for successful franchises, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, for the former, they are bad, for the latter, they range from mediocre to 'fine'...

MadaraUchiha said:
Who knows, I mean, there've been two times prequels have been made for successful franchises, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, for the former, they are bad, for the latter, they range from mediocre to 'fine'...

I don't want to think it's just fine when it comes to popular series. Naruto lost it's charm with the great shin obi battle. Fairy tail lost it's charm after the time skip.

Nel said:
I don't want to think it's just fine when it comes to popular series. Naruto lost it's charm with the great shin obi battle. Fairy tail lost it's charm after the time skip.

I agree, but, Fantastic Beats was good, not 'fine', and if the studio can make 9 good films in a franchise(with the 8th one, Deathly Hallows Part 2 being my favourite), then, I think they can make 4 more good ones, especially if JKR is writing it....

MadaraUchiha said:
I agree, but, Fantastic Beats was good, not 'fine', and if the studio can make 9 good films in a franchise(with the 8th one, Deathly Hallows Part 2 being my favourite), then, I think they can make 4 more good ones, especially if JKR is writing it....

Then I will watch it soon. I am watching live action or drama as of now. Have you checked the ones I have mentioned?

Nel said:
Then I will watch it soon. I am watching live action or drama as of now. Have you checked the ones I have mentioned?

Nel said:

I haven't, cuz, I'm not home right noW......

MadaraUchiha said:
I haven't, cuz, I'm not home right noW......

Then let me know what you think if them after watching. I would like to know your opinion

Nel said:
Then let me know what you think if them after watching. I would like to know your opinion

Ya sure I'm gonna watch a lot of anime from now on so I'll let u know as soon as I watch it....

MadaraUchiha said:
Ya sure I'm gonna watch a lot of anime from now on so I'll let u know as soon as I watch it....

Do you have some free time or something? If so I would like to recommend Mr. Brain too. It's good

Back