Do you like rating other anime fans lists?

usually people just care when we are talking about many people and not just in hundreds or thousands.
but looks like you don't care grung
That still doesn’t explain why I have to give a shit.

If someone doesn’t use a website, then why should that person care what said website’s top 10 anything is.

If you don’t use IMDB for movie reviews, why should you care what their top 10 movies are?

It also makes you look like you’re just mindlessly agreeing with a site when you don’t give your opinion, but their opinion. You’re just being a parrot. If I wanted MAL’s opinion on a show, I’d just go there to get an opinion, not ask you to just parrot what they had o say.

That still doesn’t explain why I have to give a shit.

If someone doesn’t use a website, then why should that person care what said website’s top 10 anything is.

If you don’t use IMDB for movie reviews, why should you care what their top 10 movies are?

It also makes you look like you’re just mindlessly agreeing with a site when you don’t give your opinion, but their opinion. You’re just being a parrot. If I wanted MAL’s opinion on a show, I’d just go there to get an opinion, not ask you to just parrot what they had o say.
what you said makes sense but don't you think usually people try to agree with what most of the others say?
i am the same and i do get your point but it's just weird to me

what you said makes sense but don't you think usually people try to agree with what most of the others say?
i am the same and i do get your point but it's just weird to me
That just makes them sheep. Why not just make your own opinions? If you either have no interest in a show (or whatever form of media), or don’t like it, then you don’t have to agree with what some website has to say. Quoting a website to someone who either doesn’t give a shit (or likes it) isn’t going to convince them to be interested or like it.

If a website has a clear bias against a genre you really like, do you think you’re going to be getting good information from them on that genre? Oh, but your friend really likes that site, so you also must agree and now dislike that genre! That’s what you’re trying to convince me. Jumping off a cliff because everyone else is doing it. “Bbbut this website says it’s soooo good, so because it’s so popular on that site, everyone has to like it!!!”.

You guys looked really stupid when you talk about Gintama, and it’s obvious you don’t like it, but it’s a top rated show on MAL! Obviously you have to like it! If MAL says it’s good, then you can’t disagree with it!

Are all of your shows on your watchlist rated the same as MAL or do you put your own ratings? If you do the former, then you’re just a brainless sheep, if you do the latter, then stop forcing MAL’s opinion down people’s throats. If your ratings don’t match the website, then you’re a massive hypocrite to force their opinion on people and quote them like they’re word of god.

This isn’t even me trying to be a contrarian or anything, if I like something, I like it, if I don’t, I don’t. I don’t need a website or anyone dictating what I like or don’t like. If my opinion lines up with the popular opinion, cool whatever, if it doesn’t, oh well. People like different things, so why do I (or anyone) have to jump off a cliff because everyone else is doing it?

People use sites with ratings to go “oh, this has a lot of hype or high ratings. I might go check this out”. If you like it, cool, you found something new you like. If you didn’t, oh well, maybe it wasn’t for you.

You don’t use these sites to go “well MAL, Google Reviews, Yelp, IMDB, etc said this is good, so everyone has to agree!” You look like an idiot who can’t form your own opinions and need someone else to do it for you.

Last edited:
That just makes them sheep. Why not just make your own opinions? If you either have no interest in a show (or whatever form of media), or don’t like it, then you don’t have to agree with what some website has to say. Quoting a website to someone who either doesn’t give a shit (or likes it) isn’t going to convince them to be interested or like it.

If a website has a clear bias against a genre you really like, do you think you’re going to be getting good information from them on that genre? Oh, but your friend really likes that site, so you also must agree and now dislike that genre! That’s what you’re trying to convince me. Jumping off a cliff because everyone else is doing it. “Bbbut this website says it’s soooo good, so because it’s so popular on that site, everyone has to like it!!!”.

You guys looked really stupid when you talk about Gintama, and it’s obvious you don’t like it, but it’s a top rated show on MAL! Obviously you have to like it! If MAL says it’s good, then you can’t disagree with it!

Are all of your shows on your watchlist rated the same as MAL or do you put your own ratings? If you do the former, then you’re just a brainless sheep, if you do the latter, then stop forcing MAL’s opinion down people’s throats. If your ratings don’t match the website, then you’re a massive hypocrite to force their opinion on people and quote them like they’re word of god.

This isn’t even me trying to be a contrarian or anything, if I like something, I like it, if I don’t, I don’t. I don’t need a website or anyone dictating what I like or don’t like. If my opinion lines up with the popular opinion, cool whatever, if it doesn’t, oh well. People like different things, so why do I (or anyone) have to jump off a cliff because everyone else is doing it?

People use sites with ratings to go “oh, this has a lot of hype or high ratings. I might go check this out”. If you like it, cool, you found something new you like. If you didn’t, oh well, maybe it wasn’t for you.

You don’t use these sites to go “well MAL, Google Reviews, Yelp, IMDB, etc said this is good, so everyone has to agree!” You look like an idiot who can’t form your own opinions and need someone else to do it for you.
i get where you are coming from grung.
but do we have a choice to get latest information from anywhere else? whenever you hear about anime website, what would you usually think of? but i get it. you don't want to consider something is good, just because many said so and i can't help but agree there
however, haven't you ever thought of giving something a try just because many liked it even when you are not impressed by the anime summary?

i get where you are coming from grung.
but do we have a choice to get latest information from anywhere else? whenever you hear about anime website, what would you usually think of? but i get it. you don't want to consider something is good, just because many said so and i can't help but agree there
however, haven't you ever thought of giving something a try just because many liked it even when you are not impressed by the anime summary?
If you go back and read my post, I explicitly said:

Or this post stating my criticism of how you use MAL.

As you can see, I have explicitly stated my stance on the intended purposes of websites like MAL, or Yelp, or whatever. My criticism the entire time is how you, and a few others on here go “but MAL said, but MAL said!!!!!!”

It comes off like your opinions are based off of “because MAL said”, and you guys act shocked if someone doesn’t agree with MAL, like because “MAL said” we have to all agree with it. God forbid someone doesn’t like a show that’s popular on MAL.

That’s why I keep saying “if I wanted to know MAL’s opinion, I’d ask them, not you”. If someone asks you for an opinion on something, and you explicitly quote a website’s opinion, you either A: didn’t watch the show or whatever, or B: you can’t come up with your own opinion.

That’s why I brought up how you guys feel about Gintama. You shouldn’t have a conflicted feeling over it if you weren’t constantly parroting the opinion of a website. You don’t like the show? Boom, done. End of story. You shouldn’t be feeling conflicted over it like “I don’t like it, but because it’s rated so highly on MAL, I have to force myself to keep up with it and praise it etc etc”. If you weren’t blindly parroting website opinions like they’re word of god, you shouldn’t be having any conflicted opinions.

That’s also why I keep asking “why do I have to give a shit what MAL says?”, and your best response is “because ‘everybody’ uses it, so you have to go with the flow”. That’s not an answer. Your basic response for everything is “because ‘everybody’ uses it”. That doesn’t answer why you have to parrot the website word for word. It comes off like you can’t make your own opinion, and you’re jumping off the cliff because “everyone” is doing it.

If you go back and read my post, I explicitly said:

Or this post stating my criticism of how you use MAL.

As you can see, I have explicitly stated my stance on the intended purposes of websites like MAL, or Yelp, or whatever. My criticism the entire time is how you, and a few others on here go “but MAL said, but MAL said!!!!!!”

It comes off like your opinions are based off of “because MAL said”, and you guys act shocked if someone doesn’t agree with MAL, like because “MAL said” we have to all agree with it. God forbid someone doesn’t like a show that’s popular on MAL.

That’s why I keep saying “if I wanted to know MAL’s opinion, I’d ask them, not you”. If someone asks you for an opinion on something, and you explicitly quote a website’s opinion, you either A: didn’t watch the show or whatever, or B: you can’t come up with your own opinion.

That’s why I brought up how you guys feel about Gintama. You shouldn’t have a conflicted feeling over it if you weren’t constantly parroting the opinion of a website. You don’t like the show? Boom, done. End of story. You shouldn’t be feeling conflicted over it like “I don’t like it, but because it’s rated so highly on MAL, I have to force myself to keep up with it and praise it etc etc”. If you weren’t blindly parroting website opinions like they’re word of god, you shouldn’t be having any conflicted opinions.

That’s also why I keep asking “why do I have to give a shit what MAL says?”, and your best response is “because ‘everybody’ uses it, so you have to go with the flow”. That’s not an answer. Your basic response for everything is “because ‘everybody’ uses it”. That doesn’t answer why you have to parrot the website word for word. It comes off like you can’t make your own opinion, and you’re jumping off the cliff because “everyone” is doing it.
i get it grung. when you put it that way, it sounds incredibly dumb
but where i can't wrap my head around is, mal is just not one entity and there are millions of users and which makes people think why something gets popular with so many people

i get it grung. when you put it that way, it sounds incredibly dumb
but where i can't wrap my head around is, mal is just not one entity and there are millions of users and which makes people think why something gets popular with so many people
That still doesn’t mean you have to quote it like it’s word of god because “millions of users are using it”. You’re free to agree or disagree.

Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean that you have to like it. The simple factor is that it’s simply not for you. It catered to a large audience, but your group just didn’t happen to be in it.

If someone isn’t into battle anime, repeatedly quoting “but MAL has it as a 9.7!!!!” isn’t going to convince them to like the show. Some people just aren’t into battle anime, so despite millions of people loving it, that person is not part of that group it caters to.

That still doesn’t mean you have to quote it like it’s word of god because “millions of users are using it”. You’re free to agree or disagree.

Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean that you have to like it. The simple factor is that it’s simply not for you. It catered to a large audience, but your group just didn’t happen to be in it.

If someone isn’t into battle anime, repeatedly quoting “but MAL has it as a 9.7!!!!” isn’t going to convince them to like the show. Some people just aren’t into battle anime, so despite millions of people loving it, that person is not part of that group it caters to.
it usually convinces me when it's got such a high score in mal lol
may be you can say that, i am a bit of a people pleaser lol

Back