Anime Review - Goblin Slayer (2018)

Again, I whole-heartedly agree, but the point I was making is not that female characters can't be weak, but that in GS they seem to almost *only* be portrayed as weak damsels - yes, with perhaps the elven archer being the sole exception, but it's not enough to redeem the point to me. It's systemic. And that's the issue. If every (or almost every) black character you portray is a violent criminal, that's a problem. And yes, black people can be criminals just as well as white people. If every asian character you portray is a martial artist, that's also an issue. And, in the case of Goblin Slayer, if almost every female portrayed is weak and needs saving from a big strong man, then that's going to annoy me. I mean, even the Sword Maiden archbishop need the big strong buff mc to let her know he'll 'always protect her from the goblins'.

So yeah.
Tl;dr:
Weak women: okay
Only or almost only weak women: not okay.

HannahCN said:
Again, I whole-heartedly agree, but the point I was making is not that female characters can't be weak, but that in GS they seem to almost *only* be portrayed as weak damsels - yes, with perhaps the elven archer being the sole exception, but it's not enough to redeem the point to me. It's systemic. And that's the issue. If every (or almost every) black character you portray is a violent criminal, that's a problem. And yes, black people can be criminals just as well as white people. If every asian character you portray is a martial artist, that's also an issue. And, in the case of Goblin Slayer, if almost every female portrayed is weak and needs saving from a big strong man, then that's going to annoy me. I mean, even the Sword Maiden archbishop need the big strong buff mc to let her know he'll 'always protect her from the goblins'.

So yeah.
Tl;dr:
Weak women: okay
Only or almost only weak women: not okay.

Sure. I *did* initially say it was a subjective opinion. And hey, I enjoyed some parts of the show myself. The battles were mostly *really* cool. But yeah, the good doesn't make the bad go away, but of course, the bad doesn't make the good any less good either. =)

The Goblin slayer starts of hardcore and then it kinda gets progressively chiller and chiller, which is not expected, but hey it is a nice anime.

Back