A Silent Voice

Ace

Manga Name: A Silent Voice

Source: Manga Rock

Ranking: Rank #363

Chapters: 65

Genres: Slice of Life, Drama

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Shouya Ishida, a boy always looking for ways to beat boredom, ends up looking for it in the wrong place. Weirded out by his new classmate, a deaf transfer student named Shouko Nishimiya, he deems her as the target of his ostracizing and bullying. Day after day, Shouya picks on Shouko, unaware of the effects of his thoughtless actions.

He finally understands the pain he has inflicted on her when one day, his bullying culminates in her leaving the school, and his classmates begin to shun and harass him every chance they get instead. Determined to right his wrongs, five years later, Shouya, now a third-year high school loner, meets Shouko again. Thus begins the story of a young man's path to redemption.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Opinion: I have always wanted to watch/read A Silent Voice due to so many recommendations, i finally decided to read it and it's fantastic, really makes you think of the possibilities of your own actions.

Ranking: [X] Means it checks the box [/] Doesn't completely satisfy [?] not sure

Personal Ranking: 10/10
[/] Manga complete?
[X] Great Art?
[X] Stunning story-line?
[X] Fantastic Character design?

Explanation of the reduction of my rating:
N/A

Blackrose said:
I have watched the movie for this but never read the manga

I'm fairly certain they're the same just the manga doesn't have the sounds nor the color.

Ace said:
I'm fairly certain they're the same just the manga doesn't have the sounds nor the color.

I see

Well I don't think I will be checking it out then but nice review :)

redemption again?
bullying is very bad and people should be able to understand that. it's not good to tease someone for something

Blackangel said:
redemption again?
bullying is very bad and people should be able to understand that. it's not good to tease someone for something

I agree 100%, but this manga/anime gives us as viewers/reader a look into japan's bullying.

I watched the movie and it was terrific, especially the facial expressions, probably the best in any anime. Probably the better medium for the story as well since the girl can't hear there's a lot of story-telling with great animation without any dialogue. Although I think the side characters felt like they were shoved in and only Nishimiya and Shoya got almost all the focus. Great movie though.

Ace said:
I agree 100%, but this manga/anime gives us as viewers/reader a look into japan's bullying.
only japanese bullying?
isn't it the same everywhere? i don't get what you are saying

Blackangel said:
only japanese bullying?
isn't it the same everywhere? i don't get what you are saying

according to various people who've reviewed this manga/anime for what it's worth no, japan has a unique bullying cliche, and a silent voice touches on it properly compared to the rest.

Ace said:
according to various people who've reviewed this manga/anime for what it's worth no, japan has a unique bullying cliche, and a silent voice touches on it properly compared to the rest.
i still don't get it.
i should be nice observant when reading manga. i might be able understand then

Blackangel said:
i still don't get it.
i should be nice observant when reading manga. i might be able understand then

not sure, all i know is in manga there are different types of bullying and a silent voice came closest to reality.

Ace said:
not sure, all i know is in manga there are different types of bullying and a silent voice came closest to reality.
i never heard of that.
thank you and i think i will read this first to understand what it means

Blackangel said:
i never heard of that.
thank you and i think i will read this first to understand what it means

no worries, i've only realized it after reading a silent voice as well, and after researching it a bit

Back