Would you be able to understand anime without subtitles?

Star_Of_Hope

Akatsuki
Staff member
I will be done to catch couple of words here and there but not completely.
I would say, less than 5% . What about you?

Yes I can watch anime just fine without subtitles. I am fluent in Japanese. Have been for almost 20 years now.
that's cool.
i wish i could learn too but it looks very hard to me and i don't think i can master it easily

that's cool.
i wish i could learn too but it looks very hard to me and i don't think i can master it easily
You just have to put yourself in the right mindset. Most people that have a hard time learning a new language it is because they are trying to associate the foreign word for something for a word for the same thing in their language. You can do that but you will never master the language that way and native speakers will know instantly that you are not fluent and many will refuse to talk to you because it is just too hard. You have to learn to shift mindset and think in the language you are trying to speak to see or hear something and know what it is in that language.

Yes I can watch anime just fine without subtitles. I am fluent in Japanese. Have been for almost 20 years now.
What would you recommend as the best way of learning? I've tried the standard Duolingo but i couldn't get on with it

What would you recommend as the best way of learning? I've tried the standard Duolingo but i couldn't get on with it
Well different things work better for some people then others. For me immersion works the best. I started with Japanese kids shows the ones for babies then for 2-5 year-olds. They very effectively teach you the vocabulary from the bottom up including counting, spelling, and grammar. After that I just kept climbing the age ladder on TV shows. It may sound silly but that's how we learned our native languages. TV is the number one tool for learning these days after that is listening to others around us use the language.

Learning a foreign language is more tedious than actually hard. People tend to get the two mixed up.

Also most weabs lose interest quickly because they realize that watching anime without subtitles isn't enough motivation for them to learn it.

You just have to put yourself in the right mindset. Most people that have a hard time learning a new language it is because they are trying to associate the foreign word for something for a word for the same thing in their language. You can do that but you will never master the language that way and native speakers will know instantly that you are not fluent and many will refuse to talk to you because it is just too hard. You have to learn to shift mindset and think in the language you are trying to speak to see or hear something and know what it is in that language.
lol no wonder
i wonder if anyone can ever trick natives by speaking so correctly. i wouldn't be able to do it in a million years lol

lol no wonder
i wonder if anyone can ever trick natives by speaking so correctly. i wouldn't be able to do it in a million years lol
Actually speaking too correctly is one of the things that tells people that you aren't a native speaker. Every language has slang words and abbreviations and in some cases words not used by other speakers and slightly different pronunciations from region to region where it is spoken. These are known as accents and tell other speakers where you are from. If your use of the language has no accent it usually means that you learned it from a book or trainer.

Actually speaking too correctly is one of the things that tells people that you aren't a native speaker. Every language has slang words and abbreviations and in some cases words not used by other speakers and slightly different pronunciations from region to region where it is spoken. These are known as accents and tell other speakers where you are from. If your use of the language has no accent it usually means that you learned it from a book or trainer.
oh i see.
that makes sense lol but learning accent also can be hard and i am sure there is no single accent that's widely popular. kanta region is what i hear differently in anime

Back