Why is Bleach Called Bleach?

Rustier

I have read somewhere that the show is called Bleach because of a Nirvana album? Is this true? I can't imagine that is the reason, but if it is it's a funny fact. I also can't think of any other explanations to help disprove this theory.

Here's a quote from Kubo, the author of Bleach:
The title wasn't Bleach when Tite Kubo decided to draw a story about Shinigami. This was before he drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe (as in "Sniper"). Right before he started drawing, he began to think that a sword would be better and realized he couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. He began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Shinigami are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "Bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

Also, it can signify cleansing souls.

MadaraUchiha said:
The title wasn't Bleach when Tite Kubo decided to draw a story about Shinigami. This was before he drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe (as in "Sniper"). Right before he started drawing, he began to think that a sword would be better and realized he couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. He began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Shinigami are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "Bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

I have never heard of this until now. Sounds interesting. Guns instead of katanas sounds fascinating for my :D

MadaraUchiha said:

he could have come up with even more exciting name than bleach. there are many memes for it

I thought it was to refer to Ichigo's hair color, but that could be fan talk.

Whatever the reason is, I think its a good title for the series.

Demon_skeith said:
I thought it was to refer to Ichigo's hair color, but that could be fan talk.

Whatever the reason is, I think its a good title for the series.

It's the cause for many rumors but it's simple. I don't have anything against the title but it could use an elegant title

Star_Of_Hope said:
It's the cause for many rumors but it's simple. I don't have anything against the title but it could use an elegant title

Hrmmm, how about Courageous Soul for a title instead of Bleach?

Demon_skeith said:
Hrmmm, how about Courageous Soul for a title instead of Bleach?

Oh my God..... Come on... That's hilarious. I would rather see shinnigami as the title.
Tamashi no Yuki... Doesn't sound bad though...@TechnicalSuwako is that how it is translated suwako Chan?

[quote="Sindar" pid='88295' dateline='1520974200']

That Kubo, what do you expect? : D The guy looks up random words in a dictionary that sound cool and uses them in his story. It is pretty amazing with how much he was able to get away with =)
[/quote]

are you making things up? he wouldn't have mentioned that even if he that
do you recognize me? i changed my username.

[quote="Sindar" pid='88348' dateline='1521018357']

That is what I remember from one of his interviews : P 

You didn't change your avatar, so year, I do recognize you =)
[/quote]

people say lots of things in interviews to look cool don't take them seriously. i am planning to change my avatar too.

Back