Why don't you support MAL/why do you support MAL?

Rinko

V.I.P. Member
It goes both ways.
I have seen people who care a lot about MAL and people who don't care about MAL, here. I am one of those who care about MAL. I like to see what others think about and sometimes it saves me time, in getting good recommendations.

It’s really just a simple lack of caring. If I like a show, cool, if I don’t, oh well.

I also have other ways of discovering shows, so it really just falls to the wayside to not care.

That’s why it’s weird for me to see some of you guys quoting MAL at me. They’re not the sole authority on anime opinions.

I'm neither for or against MAL. Back in the day before I knew what I liked I used to use sites like MAL. Seeing what others liked and what it was they liked about it helped me find what I liked. This was before there were streaming services. It kept me from wasting time and bandwidth downloading stuff I wouldn't care for.

As a clarification: I don’t hate MAL or think anyone is wrong for using it. My criticism has to do with how some of you quote it like it’s word of god, especially if someone doesn’t mirror their opinion off of it. It comes off like you’re just parroting it instead of having your own opinion. It defeats the purpose of asking a human being for their opinion on a show if you’re just quoting MAL. If someone wants to know MAL’s opinion, they can just bypass asking you and go to MAL instead.

If someone doesn’t like a show, or has zero interest in a show, quoting “but it’s a top rated show on MAL!!!” isn’t going to convince anyone to either like or care about it. Also quoting a website to someone who doesn’t use/care about MAL gives zero weight to the conversation. If you don’t use Google Reviews for restaurant opinions, it’s pointless to go “but Google Reviews says!”, since that site holds no meaning to that person.

I can tell some of you are also conflicted over this, because one example being Gintama. Some of you obviously don’t like the show, but the conflict is that because it’s rated so highly on MAL. “I don’t like the show, but I have to pay attention to it because MAL loves it so much!”.

i care for mal
if many people likes something then it should have good content and the vice versa is also true

I like that MAL exists but I don't really use it that much. It is an interesting way to glace at some people opinions with the reviews left and I mostly used it back in the day to try to create a bucket list and track what I had watched and read, but I don't really care that much to keep track or leave my opinion on the anime and manga I consume.

I mainly use MAL for logging stuff, I love logging whatever I watch or read or play across media.

I also think it's a great way to discover anime pre-2012 because anime being very low in number back then meant it'd get filtered out quickly and people were also not that generous with how they rated anime.

Post 2012 and the anime boom a lot of factors come into play: popularity contests, remotely good adaptations from manga getting rave scores and a slightly subpar adaptation getting harsher scores, sequels and successive seasons getting a huge jump in score more often than not and worst of all the yardstick for original anime being really high.

So it's a great way to gauge what's popular right now and maybe a general consensus for recent anime but definitely not the end or be all.

I mainly use MAL for logging stuff, I love logging whatever I watch or read or play across media.

I also think it's a great way to discover anime pre-2012 because anime being very low in number back then meant it'd get filtered out quickly and people were also not that generous with how they rated anime.

Post 2012 and the anime boom a lot of factors come into play: popularity contests, remotely good adaptations from manga getting rave scores and a slightly subpar adaptation getting harsher scores, sequels and successive seasons getting a huge jump in score more often than not and worst of all the yardstick for original anime being really high.

So it's a great way to gauge what's popular right now and maybe a general consensus for recent anime but definitely not the end or be all.
I don’t recall there being a boom because of more shows being made around that time (actually, you can still look at MAL season listings from back then and the number of shows being about the same). I do recall Crunchyroll making anime more mainstream around 2013 thanks to shows like SAO and Attack on Titan. After that, Netflix and Funimation stepped up their game on the shows they licensed.

Crunchyroll made things more convenient back then, because beforehand you had to either torrent everything, or go on sketchy questionably legal sites that had sketchy pop-up ads, and just grabbed the first fansub they got their hands on, so the fonts could change between episodes.

Even back then, people made fun of MAL’s community. There were just less people doing what you’re saying as opposed to now. They also had 10+ years for their fad ratings to even out.

Back