When you have computer problems, who do you go to to fix it?

My girlfriends dad is veeeeery technically minded so a lot of my computer problems go straight to him

Demon_skeith said:
I'm a IT person by trade, so I fix it. Never have to pay anyone for it.

that's really so cool
and i didn't know anyone who could like clarie here. and none of us know the technical details like her.

[quote="DiamondDust" pid='247615' dateline='1617542046']
Throw it to garbage can and buy new computer lol
[/quote]

lol not everyone can have so much money d
and i am sure there are people who can't afford a new computer and have to save up a lot before getting one

Just fix it or replace whatever part myself, yeah. There aren't many instances to me where €100 is better than a google search

It does get sad with how technologically incompetent a lot of people are. It still surprises me with what basic tasks people are baffled with. I wish I was exaggerating when there are plenty of people who think you’ve done some rocket science just by changing the wallpaper on their computer.

Well, people in general have never been great at tech, but since smartphones and such have blown up and everything is super "user-friendly" it kind of just encourages people to not really bother learning how anything works, for example they literally just have to say "Alexa, lights off" and their lights turn off. I do think even just 10 years ago people were a bit more competent, though not by a huge amount.

[quote="apathy" pid='249102' dateline='1618344752']

Well, people in general have never been great at tech, but since smartphones and such have blown up and everything is super "user-friendly" it kind of just encourages people to not really bother learning how anything works, for example they literally just have to say "Alexa, lights off" and their lights turn off. I do think even just 10 years ago people were a bit more competent, though not by a huge amount.
[/quote]

Idk, I’ve been having to do super basic things like changing wallpapers on people’s computers longer than 10 years ago. To me it’s looked like nothing’s changed.

I stay in touch with my retail workers who still often see people of all ages have issues with tech and I've seen people in their 20s in college not sure how to do email.

It's fine with me, my job is IT support, its just job security at this point.

[quote="Demon_skeith" pid='249158' dateline='1618380403']
I stay in touch with my retail workers who still often see people of all ages have issues with tech and I've seen people in their 20s in college not sure how to do email.

It's fine with me, my job is IT support, its just job security at this point.
[/quote]

I think in my case, it’s not like some rando showing up asking for help. It’s someone that’s been there for years doing said job asking for help on some basic stuff that’s part of their job.

Demon_skeith said:
but I know nothing how to fix my car :p
lol that's true
and i am sure not everyone is good at everything but still computer fixing requires more skill and brains.

Blackangel said:
lol that's true
and i am sure not everyone is good at everything but still computer fixing requires more skill and brains.

Not really, on the most basic stuff anyone can do it following a youtube video.

[quote="Blackangel" pid='249190' dateline='1618383329']
lol that's true
[/quote]

If you know how to read and follow a step by step guide, you can fix a large majority of problems that normal people come across. Also with most problems, someone else has had the issue before, so there’s going to be a guide someone made you can find on Google.

Back