Undervolting your CPU

Burnsy

V.I.P. Member
This should be a useful tip for people whose computers and laptops tend to become really hot when doing CPU demanding work. It reduces the voltage supplied to your CPU so that it produces less heat and at no loss in performance. I did it recently for my overheating laptop and it's probably worth doing regardless of if you have temperature problems or not.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Kaname said:
That's cool man
Thanks a lot for sharing it and tagging people to notify them about this.
@Blackrose @Kendaks_ @MadaraUchiha @Blackangel @Star_of_hope @Claraviolet @Demon_skeith

Why did you tag everyone? If anyone's interested they'll click on this thread themselves.

Demon_skeith said:
Good for heating issues, though I rather have my CPU able to work at full strength at all times though.

It doesn't affect performance. It even reduces power consumption.

Burnsy said:
Why did you tag everyone? If anyone's interested they'll click on this thread themselves.

It doesn't affect performance. It even reduces power consumption.

People don't follow threads anymore man.
If you need people to read a good thread, you need to tag them in that thread, unfortunately.

[quote="Burnsy" pid='187155' dateline='1584359706']

Not getting replies might be a bummer but on the other hand getting tagged in every irrelevant thread is really annoying and I'm speaking from experience.
[/quote]

Sorry man
I understand and will not tag anyone again and you are right about that.

That's great but it does look a little complicated as we are dealing with voltage here.
I will probably give it a try.

Blackrose said:
nice..good idea but my pc is chromebook so it might not work
Thanks for the tag kaname

I believe it would work.
There must be some other software versions available for it.

Blackrose said:
I suppose there might..will have to look into it

i was thinking about that as well
and i really don't get why i couldn't have something like that but i am afraid of would just damage my very old computer.

Blackangel said:
i was thinking about that as well
and i really don't get why i couldn't have something like that but i am afraid of would just damage my very old computer.

Star_Of_Hope said:
That's great
Let us know if you need any help from us.

Thanks star

Will do :)

Thanks star

Will do :)
[/quote]

but even so i don't have the confidence to pull it off
and i usually mess up something or the others and i had to pay a lot to get it fixed

Blackangel said:
but even so i don't have the confidence to pull it off
and i usually mess up something or the others and i had to pay a lot to get it fixed

Then perhaps you should leave it as it is or get someone to do it for you

Blackrose said:
Then perhaps you should leave it as it is or get someone to do it for you

yes that's right
and i usually ask my friends to do it for me and i can't deal with extra expenses if i do say so myself

Blackangel said:
yes that's right
and i usually ask my friends to do it for me and i can't deal with extra expenses if i do say so myself

oh ok that's good
ihu on the expenses thing chick

I definitely see undervolting becoming the new overclocking. Boost algorithms are getting so good these days there's not many gains to be had with overclocking. However, these algorithms are based on things like voltage, amperage, and temperature - if they hit a threshold they scale back. So by undervolting, you scale back on both voltage and temperatures, meaning there's actually the potential to get a slight performance increase. Realistically probably like 1-2%, but it's still a nice to have considering you're actually extending the chips lifespan by doing this.

Voltage, heat and current degrades silicone, so by lowering these two energies you slow the degradation process. Even at stock settings, degradation happens, just at a slow enough rate that the manufacturers reckon you'd have upgraded before it happens anyway.

Back