The Irregular at Magic High School - Anime Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
The Irregular Magic High School (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei) Anime Review
Plot:
In the dawn of the 21st century, magic, long thought to be folklore and fairy tales, has become a systematized technology and is taught as a technical skill. In First High School, the institution for magicians, students are segregated into two groups based on their entrance exam scores: "Blooms," those who receive high scores, are assigned to the First Course, while "Weeds" are reserve students assigned to the Second Course. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows the siblings, Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba, who are enrolled in First High School. Upon taking the exam, the prodigious Miyuki is placed in the First Course, while Tatsuya is relegated to the Second Course. Though his practical test scores and status as a "Weed" show him to be magically inept, he possesses extraordinary technical knowledge, physical combat capabilities, and unique magic techniques—making Tatsuya the irregular at a magical high school.

There are three arcs to the story, the first being the enrollment of the first years to the new school and how our hero Tatsuya fits into everything, the second is a magical tournament in which the school competes with other Magic High School and the third is another competition(albeit of a scientific nature unlike the previous competition). All three sort of follow the same pattern, an event that involves the school happens and the event slowly devolves into something big(usually a terrorist attack), and this pattern works for the first two arcs and to some extent for the third arc as well(which albeit becomes a bit bloated towards the end) but overall it's a pretty fast-paced series.

There are two main aspects to this anime. The first is the action(along with the animation), it's amazing. I can't believe how good the action scenes were in this anime, I actually went into it expecting shit action scenes with still-frames and gif movements but they blew me away. And there's a lot of action, and it's every bit entertaining. For the most part it's not violent, but there are moments of violence whenever it's required. It's also very kinetic it's always hype. And the animation is just as amazing during other scenes as well whenever there's a need to show a lot of magical spells with good use of CGI.
[img=444x250]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AmazingHairyAnnelida-size_restricted.gif[/img]

The other aspect is sort of a negative and something that may make people drop the anime, which is that a lot of time is spent on narration and expository dialogues. Like a lot. There are time when characters just stop what they are doing to explain about the mechanism of what's happening so that us viewers can understand. Some people may find this interesting but I definitely didn't It was a big flaw in the anime for me.
[img=444x250]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HardtofindFarawayIrishterrier-size_restricted.gif[/img]

The characters are nothing special, but they all are pretty cool and have cool designs. The main draw of the series is the fact that our main character is extremely OP so if you want a series with an OP protagonist you'll like it. One major thing that may put off something is that there's always a hint of incest between the two main characters, who are siblings. But it's never too distracting. There's also a bit of fan-service. The music is nothing special but it's passable, along with the OP and ED.

Overall this is a pretty good watch if you are into action, which is plenty and is amazing along with great animation, but the over-abundance of lazy exposition and the somewhat cliched characters bog it down.

MAL Link: https://myanimelist.net/anime/20785/Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei

it sounds good but i don't want to see one of the siblings as a weed.
they should have taken him into the blooms

BurnsyCEO said:
So it's more shounen action than harry potter?

Yeah but on the level of say Shippuuden right off the bat. And the magic itself is more scientific than you know something like in Harry Potter.
Angel said:
it sounds good but i don't want to see one of the siblings as a weed.
they should have taken him into the blooms

Our MC is a weed actually the whole story is about how Blooms look down on Weeds and how he proves everyone wrong.

MadaraUchiha said:
Yeah but on the level of say Shippuuden right off the bat. And the magic itself is more scientific than you know something like in Harry Potter.

Our MC is a weed actually the whole story is about how Blooms look down on Weeds and how he proves everyone wrong.

does his brother look down on him too?
i don't want to think he would but i

want to know about it

MadaraUchiha said:
No the MC is the guy, he has a sister and no she doesn't look down on him.

thank you.
i will watch it as long as it's not too long. you could recommend this for group watch too

It looks great, Madarauciha.
I do think even the animation in really something. I am going to add this to my watchlist :D

Angel said:
thank you.
i will watch it as long as it's not too long. you could recommend this for group watch too

I don't know I've already watched it plus I've already recommended something for March but yeah I'll maybe do it for April.

MadaraUchiha said:
I don't know I've already watched it plus I've already recommended something for March but yeah I'll maybe do it for April.

you can recommend more than one anime for these group watch.
if that's how you want it, then it's good with me

Back