Sword Art Online Review(S1+S2)

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
[size=medium]Anime Review: Sword Art Online(SAO and SAO II)[/size]

[size=small]This is probably pointless, because apparently, everyone in the world except me has watched SAO at this point, and I'm the only one who missed the hype. [/size]

[size=small]This Review Contains Spoilers. If you haven't watched the anime, don't read it. [/size]
[size=small]TL;DR watch the first 14 episodes of Season 1 and skip the rest.[/size]
[size=small]I have divided the series in terms of seasons, and arcs in each season.[/size]

[size=medium]Season 1[/size][size=small]:[/size]
[size=small]Number of episodes: 25[/size]
[size=small]Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Game, Romance[/size]
[size=small]Plot:[/size]
[size=small]The players of a virtual reality MMORPG, Sword Art Online, are trapped and fighting for their very lives. After it is announced that the only way to leave the game is by beating it, Kirito—a very powerful swordsman—and his friends take on a quest to free all the minds trapped in Aincrad.[/size]

[size=small]Review:[/size]
[size=small]Aincrad Arc:[/size]
[size=small]The strongest aspect of the anime is obviously the premise. It hasn't really been done in that way before as much. And, yes, the first two episodes were good, in setting up a sense of danger and dread. It also looks sleek, and the character designs are amazing. I did enjoy many action sequences in this arc, and they were fun. It is entertaining to watch, I can't deny that. [/size]
[size=small]However, it disregards the plot and goes into a set of random pointless side quests that don't matter in the first few episodes, instead of concentrating on the main story. Another problem is that in the first few episodes, there's a lot of time-skips. In one episode, he's in level 48, in another episode, he's in level 78. There's no sense of progression. Just things happening randomly, and it's jarring and takes me out of the experience. It's apparently revealed in a sentence that's immediately glossed over that Kirito is fighting in the front lines of the 'clearing group', but we don't ever get a sense of what they do. And then, in the middle of the series, Kirito and Asuna fall in love and go on a honeymoon, Wow. And of course, adopt a daughter. While their romance itself was good, I couldn't help but think the entire time that they are trapped inside a world, and may die any moment. And then, suddenly they get called back and they start fighting in each level. Boom, the leader of the group is revealed to be the creator of the game and the villain. Kirito is forced to fight him, and he literally cheats, against the creator of the game itself, and comes back to life, to defeat him. Oh, and Asuna sacrifices herself, so that Kirito can live, but that dumbass almost dies anyway.[/size]
[size=small]Characters have to be talked about in this series. Kirito can do absolutely everything. He's the best player in the game and no one can defeat him. And, of course, every girl he meets will be a part of his harem. Asuna is the only girl who has any sort of character. She's badass, and wants to get out, actually falls in love with a person, and is not a token harem girl. Another character I thought had some sort of a character was Klein, but he was constantly brushed aside. None of the characters other than Kirito were given any sort of importance.[/size]
[size=small]Fairy Dance arc:[/size]
[size=small]Aincrad arc was my favourite part of Sword Art Online, and in my opinion, it should have ended there. My problems with SAO started the moment they switched to another game. In this arc, it's revealed that everyone who were a part of SAO had awakened except 300. Asuna is a part of it and hasn't awakened yet. It's also revealed that they are present in another game called ALfhiem Online. You know what happens. Asuna gets caged, and is essentially a damsel in distress and Kirito has to save her. We get into incest and rape in this arc. So hurray I guess. Didn't like the incest relationship at all. Plus, the sister doesn't contribute anything other than providing expository dialogue about the game. Stuff happens, Kirito saves Asuna and it's over. I don't have much to say about this arc except that it's not very good.[/size]

[size=small]Score: 6/10[/size]

[size=medium]Season 2[/size][size=small]:[/size]
[size=small]Gun Gale Online arc:[/size]
[size=small]This arc deals with a consequence from the Aincrad arc, a traumatic event. Something that should have been done in the first season. Also, it focuses on something that wasn't even shown originally. Anyway, in another game called Gun Gale Online, which focuses on guns, obviously, there exists a guy who can kill someone for real when he shoots from the game. A Government agent, responsible for SAO survivors, enlists Kirito's help and asks him to go there. We are introduced to a new character, called Sinon, who's the best sniper in the game and has a trauma of her own, and the series tries to connect these two. Good, idea, only that she also eventually falls into Kirito's harem, and is there for fan-service. Coming to Kirito himself, I'm not a fan of 'trap' characters. I hate the lot. And, everytime he acted like a woman, it wasn't funny. It was cringe-worthy. And, the series immediately makes Kirito get over his trauma, by having a long conversation with this nurse, and the rest is focused on Sinon trying to get over her trauma. And, all the other characters are basically brushed aside. The other problem with this series is that it's really dragged, and half the time, it's just characters sitting around and talking plot points. Again, as always, the action was entertaining. But, this whole arc was stupid. And of course, there was anothe rape scene.[/size]
[size=small]Calibur arc:[/size]
[size=small]Didn't give a shit. It was really boring. I was doing something else, and it was mostly background noise. Whenever I watched it, it was bad.[/size]
[size=small]Mother's Rosario arc:[/size]
[size=small]By this point, I was whatsapping with people so I didn't really care, but this was better than the previous two arcs, in that it didn't focus on Kirito, and it was kinda emotional. The best arc since Aincrad.[/size]

[size=small]Score: 5/10[/size]

Kirito is always overrated. That is the case with most of the anime these days. Overpowered main characters seem popular. 
I don't like this anime either

The series has gotten a lot of backlash over the years, with more anime similar to it executing its concepts better, and the anime itself, being not very good, and in spite of that, being among the most popular of all time.

Good review, this is really a more action based version of the .hack series.

Though I agree, the gun arc was kind of a let down, it had its moments but there was no reason to continue this series.

Demon_skeith said:
Good review, this is really a more action based version of the .hack series.

Though I agree, the gun arc was kind of a let down, it had its moments but there was no reason to continue this series.

I also saw Log Horizon back in 2016 and I love it, and that does a better job of everything this series tries to do.

MadaraUchiha said:
The series has gotten a lot of backlash over the years, with more anime similar to it executing its concepts better, and the anime itself, being not very good, and in spite of that, being among the most popular of all time.

May be it's the first anime of isekai that got so much attention from many peers.
That explains the popularity

The moment this anime gave the hint of incest,I lost all the interest and dropped it. Later I got to know that, incest is soon resolved but I still didn't pick it up

KuranKaname said:
The moment this anime gave the hint of incest,I lost all the interest and dropped it. Later I got to know that, incest is soon resolved but I still didn't pick it up

You gotta have one from every kind if you are writing a wish fulfillment light novel. The tsundere, the loli, the sister, etc.

MadaraUchiha said:
You gotta have one from every kind if you are writing a wish fulfillment light novel. The tsundere, the loli, the sister, etc.

I am writing my vampire story and it received good responses. I never had tsundere, loli and sister in it. If it has good story and plot people would certainly appreciate them

KuranKaname said:
I am writing my vampire story and it received good responses. I never had tsundere, loli and sister in it. If it has good story and plot people would certainly appreciate them

Sure but otaku's are the ones who actually like anime and they love tsunderes, lolis and imoutos.
And SAO is one of the best-selling light novel and anime series of all time. Not solely because of the above, yes, but teenagers have their dreams.

MadaraUchiha said:
Sure but otaku's are the ones who actually like anime and they love tsunderes, lolis and imoutos.
And SAO is one of the best-selling light novel and anime series of all time. Not solely because of the above, yes, but teenagers have their dreams.

I never thought of it like that. I really don't get their dreams at all and I better not to save my sanity.

KuranKaname said:
I never thought of it like that. I really don't get their dreams at all and I better not to save my sanity.

Correction: I meant otaku's are the ones who actually buy anime.
Well, you look at something like Yuri on Ice, it was the best selling anime of that year, and that's because the Fujoshi crowd bought the blu-rays endlessly.

MadaraUchiha said:
Correction: I meant otaku's are the ones who actually buy anime.
Well, you look at something like Yuri on Ice, it was the best selling anime of that year, and that's because the Fujoshi crowd bought the blu-rays endlessly.

I actually picked up that anime and I have completed watching it. It was a surprise for me as well. I wouldn't say it's bad but I don't think it has what it takes to be the best selling anime.

KuranKaname said:
I actually picked up that anime and I have completed watching it. It was a surprise for me as well. I wouldn't say it's bad but I don't think it has what it takes to be the best selling anime.

It was the best-selling anime of that year.
I thought it was fine at best, but Fujoshi's are a strong crowd. They are one main reason why Haikyuu makes a lot of money with Blu-rays.

MadaraUchiha said:
It was the best-selling anime of that year.
I thought it was fine at best, but Fujoshi's are a strong crowd. They are one main reason why Haikyuu makes a lot of money with Blu-rays.

I never expected it to be the best but can't change the facts. I was sure the other anime like attack on titan or boku no hero academia would snatch that title. Haikyuu isn't for fujoshi. Why would it make money because of Fujoshi?

KuranKaname said:
I never expected it to be the best but can't change the facts. I was sure the other anime like attack on titan or boku no hero academia would snatch that title. Haikyuu isn't for fujoshi. Why would it make money because of Fujoshi?

Attack on Titan wasn't released in 2016. As I mentioned two times already, I was talking about that year

KuranKaname said:
I know but I am still disappointed. They can be shipped but it's not that kind of anime.
I don't totally get what you are implying but judging by our conversation so far, I better not completely understand this.

It's like how Naruto and Sasuke are constantly shipped together, except it's an anime full of characters like that.

MadaraUchiha said:
It's like how Naruto and Sasuke are constantly shipped together, except it's an anime full of characters like that.

Kishimoto shouldn't have written that accidental kiss scene between them. If it isn't for that, no one would have shipped them together at all.

KuranKaname said:
Kishimoto shouldn't have written that accidental kiss scene between them. If it isn't for that, no one would have shipped them together at all.

They'd have still been shipped together. It's a very very long relationship.

Back