Spring 2018 Anime Round-up

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Now that the Spring 2018 anime season is over here's my thoughts and rankings.

Here's my ranking:
1. Boku no Hero Academia Season 3: Anime of the season. I love it. It's just beyond amazing. There are already many iconic moments in it and looks like it's gonna be the next Naruto in terms of popularity, internationally. The action scenes, music, characters, it's just perfect. Season 3 is so far better than season 2, which was better than season 1. I don't really wanna talk about it because if you love MHA you'd already be watching it. It's on-going, and 13 episodes are out so far.
2. Hinamatsuri: This is my first recommendation from the season. It's wholesome, funny, and emotional. It's about three young girls who are caught in three different life-styles that they didn't expect. It's just amazing, and really, really funny.
3. Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online: If you are sick of Kirito, and the bland world of SAO, its terrible writing and cardboard characters, this one's for you. It has relatable characters, well done action sequences, and is really, really fun to watch.
4. Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory: I watched the first three seasons leading up to this one, and all I could think of when I watched them was one word: fun. Full Metal Panic is an action mecha series, that's just really entertaining to watch, and this one's no different. Except you are thrown straight into the plot from the get-go and there's no time to settle. The stakes are really high, the animation is really improved and there's a lot of action, a lot more than season 3.
5. Steins;Gate 0: Steins Gate is in my top 5 anime of all time and I was really excited for this. While it's good, and I like all the characters, the problem with this is that whatever plot they develop tends to fizzle out too quickly. Great OP and ED.

Other anime I watched:
High School DxD Hero: A disappointment, to be honest. The first three seasons were a blast to watch with on-the-nose ecchi and over-the-top action, whereas this one took itself a bit too seriously and was boring at times.
Shokugeki no Souma San no Sara Totsuki Ressha-hen: The animation quality has dropped drastically, I don't know what the hell happened to this series. It's kind of entertaining to watch but I'll probably start reading the manga and stop watching the series if the next season has such bad animation quality as well.
Megalo Box: Incredible pilot, very good 3-4 episodes, but kinda fell apart after that and became boring, dropped it at episode 8 but may pick it up again. About boxing, and an under-dog story. God-tier soundtrack.
Dragon Pilot: It was an original Bones show so I was excited and I liked the 2 episodes I watched but I put it on hold due to lack of time but I recommend it.

Anime I watched that had a second cour from Winter 2018:
Saiki Kusuo 2: Just as good as season 1. Snappy, fast-paced and entertaining comedy.
Seven Deadly Sins 2: Better than season 1, with an ending that doesn't fall apart, and action-packed from start to finish.
Darling in the FranXX: Really liked it till episode 18, fell apart after that with its big exposition dump and plot twists and reveals and it was a chore to watch it after that. Really, really disappointed.
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card arc: Disappointment. Nothing more than that. I watched season 1 in December leading up to this and it turned out to be one of my favourites, surprisingly. This one is just everything the original isn't: mediocre animation, a plot that goes nowhere, lack of originality, and unexciting.

I have only watched saiki kusuo 2 in this list. Other anime looks interesting too.
Thank you for sharing this Madarauciha. I will be picking up some anime from your list.

If anyone is looking for a good 'stuck in RPG' type anime, death march has been rather good to watch so far.

Yeah I really liked Darling in the FranXX until the end they really ruined it which was a shame because I was loving the series so much.

do you pick anime of your favorite studios? many anime that you picked are not recommended by anyone here and still you pick them.

if only you could post this for every season, it would be good but i know that it's not possible for anyone to do that.

Each season lasts 3 months so I can only post once every 3 months.
Plus this season I won't post anything because I'm not watching anything other than Attack on Titan season 3, Overlord season 3 and Grand Blue Dreaming.

MadaraUchiha said:
Each season lasts 3 months so I can only post once every 3 months.
Plus this season I won't post anything because I'm not watching anything other than Attack on Titan season 3, Overlord season 3 and Grand Blue Dreaming.

thanks for letting me know that. even if it's just 3 anime, you could still post it and i would read it for sure and reply to it

Back