Shin Megami Tensei

Yeah P4G is up with P5 in terms of just being ridiculous with it's length. I won't say the original PS2 game is paced perfectly, but it's easily 20 hours shorter than Golden.

Your team layout is far more important than your level in these games, and you shouldn't really find yourself grinding too much if you're fusing optimal demons. You do still have to do it sometimes, because you can be 1 or 2 levels below the requirement for the fusion you want.
If you're unaware of them, I recommend checking out "fusion calculators" for the Persona games on google. If there's a specific Persona you want it'll tell you the formula you need to fuse them.

That's typical Atlus for you. I'm pretty dang certain P5 will come at some point, the 25th anniversary of the series this year and they've said multiple times there's big plans in store so I expect either P5 or P3 to come to PC as part of that.

apathy said:
Yeah P4G is up with P5 in terms of just being ridiculous with it's length. I won't say the original PS2 game is paced perfectly, but it's easily 20 hours shorter than Golden.

Your team layout is far more important than your level in these games, and you shouldn't really find yourself grinding too much if you're fusing optimal demons. You do still have to do it sometimes, because you can be 1 or 2 levels below the requirement for the fusion you want.
If you're unaware of them, I recommend checking out "fusion calculators" for the Persona games on google. If there's a specific Persona you want it'll tell you the formula you need to fuse them.

That's typical Atlus for you. I'm pretty dang certain P5 will come at some point, the 25th anniversary of the series this year and they've said multiple times there's big plans in store so I expect either P5 or P3 to come to PC as part of that.

apathy said:
Persona is a lot more story-heavy than the SMT games, and despite liking the calendar system in P3-5 I have to admit it can be the cause of some really bad pacing issues.
P5 probably had the worst pacing of the bunch, so considering a new director will be taking over the series I kind of expect P6 to drop the calendar.

I don't see the calendar vanishing or much changing since P5 was a huge hit.

Thats true actually, I would have considered SLinks to be the signature of the modern franchise but the calendar would be just as much as part of the series' identity as the SLinks.
Even if they don't scrap the calendar, which I do see as unlikely now, I still think they'll make some changes to it. A lot of the new fans who entered the series with P5 also thought the calendar caused the game to be a slog at points.

[quote="apathy" pid='237650' dateline='1611275040']
Thats true actually, I would have considered SLinks to be the signature of the modern franchise but the calendar would be just as much as part of the series' identity as the SLinks.
Even if they don't scrap the calendar, which I do see as unlikely now, I still think they'll make some changes to it. A lot of the new fans who entered the series with P5 also thought the calendar caused the game to be a slog at points.
[/quote]

Yeah, all 3 had points where it’d kind of drag out. Though IMO P3 did it the worst, though kind of expected from the first entry to do it. You could ONLY do social links during the day, and ONLY dungeon crawl at night. I maxed out my social stats, and most of the non-party social links, so when winter break hit, I had nothing to do during the day.

This is true, and while many people say the "episode of the week" format P4 & P5 take is really repetitive, I think I kinda prefer that to P3 where nothing really happens for 2/3 of the game... it does make the ending feel way more impactful though, so it's hard to say for sure which I like more. Either way, they could still add some smaller events so that you don't end up with bucketloads of empty time.

apathy said:
This is true, and while many people say the "episode of the week" format P4 & P5 take is really repetitive, I think I kinda prefer that to P3 where nothing really happens for 2/3 of the game... it does make the ending feel way more impactful though, so it's hard to say for sure which I like more. Either way, they could still add some smaller events so that you don't end up with bucketloads of empty time.
I personally prefer to at least have social links or something to do. Sure it feels a bit repetitive, but at least I don't have to go "welp... I guess I'll just go to my room and sleep until the Midnight Hour happens...."

Ok so SMT 3 Nocturne remastered is coming out on steam in 2 months. I have already decided on playing it, just wanted to hear from you two if you found it good and if there's anything I should be aware of.

[quote="Burnsy" pid='245506' dateline='1616269190']
Ok so SMT 3 Nocturne remastered is coming out on steam in 2 months. I have already decided on playing it, just wanted to hear from you two if you found it good and if there's anything I should be aware of.
[/quote]

I haven’t done any research on what, if any, updates they’re doing besides just a remaster of the graphics. It’s fairly grind heavy, and has a fairly high random encounter rate. After the first dungeon, they don’t really give you much direction on where you need to go. Prior to Persona 5, the demon recruitment system didn’t get a good reception from Persona fans.

I also would not recommend the bonus boss Beelzebub. This post from GameFaqs isn’t exaggerating:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/2168-the-top-10-hardest-bonus-bosses-in-an-rpg-spoilers

I think the remaster will be good but probably not worth the €60 unless you're a big SMT nut. I pre-ordered the second I saw the Steam page go up, though.

From what we've heard from the Japanese fans the game has some odd performance problems, like there can be a bit of a delay even just bringing up the pause menu. The Fiend boss battles had some FPS dips too, with the Switch version being affected worse than the PS4 version.

Initially, the game also didn't have the skill inheritance feature we see in P4G and P5 - this meant when fusing demons it was pretty much random what skills would be inherited, and there was a lot of backing out of menus and going back in to them in the hopes you'd get the skill you want. Fortunately, I believe that feature has been patched in, so it should be ready to go for the Steam release.

I think in a couple of months, assuming Atlus keep patching the game, it will definitely be a worthwhile buy and perhaps the definitive edition (if only for the skill inheritance).

SMT3 Nocturne overall is a great game though and one I'd recommend, the Persona composer did the soundtrack and is a perfect example of how flexible a composer he is, it's all dark ambient rather than the citypop jazz we hear in the Persona games.
It's not super heavy with it's narrative, so I wouldn't expect 20 minute+ cutscenes like in Persona. This all kinda lends to it being super atmospheric though, the little interactions you have with people truly do make it feel like you're on your own in the middle of an apocalypse.

Also be warned, this is one of those games that can at times be kinda bad at explaining where you should go. Near the beginning you have to talk to a demon in Ikebukero, but he wasn't there before this point and there's no indication he'll be there now or that you have to go back there, so it's easy to miss... don't feel bad if you have to look things up.

MadaraUchiha said:
There's some DLCs missing as well right

Possibly, I've not kept up with the DLC aspect myself as it's not usually something I'd buy. I think Dante is locked behind DLC, rather than being in the main game like he was in the US/EU release and whatever JP version those were based off. Not sure where Raidou fits in, as in another version of Nocturne he was present in place of Dante.

Best transformation in the series right? I doubt there's any cooler one
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back