Reviews: Wolfenstein New Order, Little Nightmares and Brothers A Tale of Two Sons

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
[size=medium]Brothers A Tale of Two Sons:[/size]
Plot:
Two brothers set out on a journey to find a cure for their dying father.

Gameplay:
You control two brothers through the two sides of your joystick, and the schema itself is simple, you only use the sticks and the triggers, each for one brother. The triggers are used for pretty much every action that you need to perform in the game. This is a relatively short game, even with trial and error you can not just complete the story but 100% all the trophies in about 3 hours.

The game itself felt more like a glimpse into Josef Fares(who went onto make It Takes Two) vision for co-op play. There's some neat ideas thrown in occasionally which makes good use of the way you control the brothers but for the most part it's a very simple game, like Inside in a 3D space but without the atmosphere or the sound design though there a couple decent puzzles. The story itself is told mostly through visuals for which I'm thankful and it was serviceable, and the characters go through some nice development too. The highlight for me was the varied locations you get throughout the game. While the game isn't anything special it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Overall, if you want to kill time for a few hours and want a simple game check this out: 2.5/5.

[size=medium]Wolfenstein: The New Order:[/size]
Plot:
The alliance has been defeated in World War II. In Europe 1960, take on the Nazis and their advanced mechs as BJ Blazkowizc and his crew to overthrow them.

Gameplay:
This is a pretty standard FPS. There's 16 chapters, and you go from one shootout to the next in each chapter, collect ammo and shoot different kinds of enemies and sometimes large mechs. The game is extremely linear and you pretty much have one objective at a time, and in most cases it's to clear out an arena.

I'm pretty conflicted on this game, the shooting mechanics and the weapons were pretty good and you don't always sit behind a cover and chip away the enemy's health but there's some decisions that truly baffle me. Like the fact that your weapons don't carry over across chapters so you have to constantly be in search of them everytime you start fresh or the fact that there's no variety in the level design. This is probably a nitpick too but you are playing as someone who's over six feet and you can't always climb over stuff that's easily doable for someone of his size. There were some glitches too in the second half, but nothing too serious.

As for the characters, I'd say the main character and his love interest are fine but pretty much everyone else is under-developed, which was a disappointment because you pretty much are on your own throughout the game and they could have easily provided the others some depth by making them tag along with you in a few chapters, especially a certain character you make a crucial choice on at the end of chapter 1.

Overall, I'm giving this one a 3/5 mainly because of some design decisions that didn't sit right with me. 

Also if you play this on PC I recommend Hard difficulty, the over-abundance of resources balances out pretty much everything that's thrown at you, I didn't because I often felt discomfort using the controller. Although I don't know if higher difficulty improves AI, resource availability or make the enemies just have more health.

[size=medium]Little Nightmares:[/size]
[size=medium]Plot:[/size]
Play as Six to escape The Maw – a vast, mysterious vessel inhabited by corrupted souls looking for their next meal.

Like Brothers, the gameplay itself is extremely simple with the only 'challenge' being a few (but better)puzzles and evading enemies in each chapter. It's also a bit clunky, especially climbing which was often frustrating. But, like Inside, this has some amazing atmosphere and sound design which was really immersive, and I really liked the environment and character designs as well. It took me about 5 hours to finish the game and get every possible trophy except one which was a speed run and I didn't bother with it.

I'm giving this a 3/5 as well.

Demon_skeith said:
how did you find the controls of the two bothers game?

You just use the sticks and L2 R2 triggers so once you learn to make them move correctly using the sticks it's easy
Takes sometime though since I have problem with directions.

Back