Password Complexity

Alexander

Do you use the same password for every website and how complex are your credentials? I use a different password on every website, and it consists of 8+ characters with numbers, capitals, and special characters.

What about you?

Blackangel said:
not sure about this
but i don't use only one for everything and that's a good thing for me.

That's good, using the same password for everything is a major security risk. It's like inviting hackers to hack your account. How often do you change your password(s)?

Depends, I use different passwords for my financial related sites, and as I go down the ladder for lesser and lesser sites I start using the same password.

gemxtria said:
I'd keep forgetting which one is which haha!

poor gem
and you can try to make it something like maiden name, friend's maiden name, favorite character name. i do that a lot

Blackangel said:
poor gem
and you can try to make it something like maiden name, friend's maiden name, favorite character name. i do that a lot
One of my passwords is my sisters first and middle name and her year of birth

It depends, some websites I dont care about/attach much personal info to I'll re-use passwords. For major accounts I have unique random sequences written on a piece of paper stuck to my bookcase. Kinda does suck when you're out on your phone and can't log in but whatever lol

I have 3 levels. Same 8 charr pass for not important stuff. 8 charr pass varied for normal stuff and 13 charr alpha numeric pass for important stuff.

Demon_skeith said:
Just curious, anyone got a good way of keeping track of them?
Well there's a good few "Password Manager" programs out there that are supposed to help you with this, though I'm unsure of how comfortable I'd be giving a proprietary program all my passwords. Writing them down is the only solution I've really thought of, though as aforementioned this causes problems if you're out and about and don't have the paper with you.

apathy said:
Well there's a good few "Password Manager" programs out there that are supposed to help you with this, though I'm unsure of how comfortable I'd be giving a proprietary program all my passwords. Writing them down is the only solution I've really thought of, though as aforementioned this causes problems if you're out and about and don't have the paper with you.

this right here, do not trust a program or site. Notepad or your own personal pen and paper is your best bet.

I don't tend to use the same one for all sites as that is one way for your password to get into the wrong hands. I always try to make a change somewhere so that it is not exactly the same each time.

Back