New To Manga

[quote="TechnicalSuwako" pid='88395' dateline='1521090971']

Actually, I don't know why you laughed.
I acutally think it 's rather rude to laugh when I try to give an as accurate explanation as possible.
[/quote]

i laughed as it's rude to remove someone's post just because it's long. i saw people telling warnings for it and you are a staff member here.

TechnicalSuwako said:
Not really.
In spoken language, Japanese people typically use pitch accent to make clear which word they mean.
Like how I once fucked up when I asked for Mr. Satou; I was supposed to say SAtou-san, but instead I said saTOU-san, which means "mr. sugar".

As for the amounts, Japanese students have to learn only 2136 Kanji total, Chinese something around 3500 Hanzi I think, but both ways the total amount of Kanji/Hanzi/Hanja in existence is unknown, but there are rumours of a number being between 9000 and 12000.
The good news is that even for native speakers of either language it's impossible to know that much of them.

Not necessarily just older text, also in parts that are strictly traditional (like Taiwan) or parts that use both (like Hong Kong).
And you say it correctly, you'll understand, but only the core meaning of a sentence.
You won't be able to understand everything, and you won't be able to read anything at all if you know Japanese and read traditional Chinese text (or vice versa).

SAtou-san" and "saTOU

SecretWish said:
i laughed as it's rude to remove someone's post just because it's long. i saw people telling warnings for it and you are a staff member here.

Sindar said:
SAtou-san" and "saTOU

No, Kanji don't represent accents.
The way you can see Kanji is for example like in "I <3 you".
In that case, <3 can mean "love", but it can also mean "heart", but the meaning will depend on in what sentence it was used.
And you can read it as "love", "ai", "liebe", "houd van", etc., depending on the language you read it in.

The difference though is that Kanji can come in pairs.
For example:

??car
???railroad car (car + both)
???train (electric + car)
????bicycle (self + drive + car)
???tank (battle + car)
???car wash (washing + car)
????ambulance (rescue + hurry + car)

And so on.

A nice note regarding ?? and ?? is that both are spelled as ???? ?sensha?, that's exactly where pitch accent comes to play in this case.

Edit: this forum doesn't even render heart symbols directly.

SecretWish said:

TechnicalSuwako said:
No, Kanji don't represent accents.
The way you can see Kanji is for example like in "I <3 you".
In that case, <3 can mean "love", but it can also mean "heart", but the meaning will depend on in what sentence it was used.
And you can read it as "love", "ai", "liebe", "houd van", etc., depending on the language you read it in.

The difference though is that Kanji can come in pairs.
For example:

??car
???railroad car (car + both)
???train (electric + car)
????bicycle (self + drive + car)
???tank (battle + car)
???car wash (washing + car)
????ambulance (rescue + hurry + car)

And so on.

A nice note regarding ?? and ?? is that both are spelled as ???? ?sensha?, that's exactly where pitch accent comes to play in this case.

Edit: this forum doesn't even render heart symbols directly.

Back