Nanatsu no Taizai(Seven Deadly Sins) Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Anime Review: Nanatsu no Taizai(The Seven Deadly Sins)

With Season 2 coming out in January, and this being a well-received adaptation of a popular shounen manga, I decided to give it a go.

Number of Episodes: 24(Plus 2 OVA Episodes, and a mini-series consisting of 4 episodes)

Genre: Shounen, Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Ecchi

Plot:
In a world similar to the European Middle Ages, the feared yet revered Holy Knights of Britannia use immensely powerful magic to protect the region of Britannia and its kingdoms. However, a small subset of the Knights supposedly betrayed their homeland and turned their blades against their comrades in an attempt to overthrow the ruler of Liones. They were defeated by the Holy Knights, but rumors continued to persist that these legendary knights, called the "Seven Deadly Sins," were still alive. Ten years later, the Holy Knights themselves staged a coup d’état, and thus became the new, tyrannical rulers of the Kingdom of Liones. Nanatsu no Taizai follows the adventures of Elizabeth, the third princess of the Kingdom of Liones, and her search for the Seven Deadly Sins. With their help, she endeavors to not only take back her kingdom from the Holy Knights, but to also seek justice in an unjust world.

Art(9/10): This is one of the most beautiful looking anime I've ever seen. It's colourful. Really, really colourful. And, doesn't look generic either. Each background looks like it serves a purpose.
Animation(8/10): I'm not exactly an expert on animation, but the animation in this, especially during action scenes, is amazing. The use of Sakuga during fight scenes(basically the style of animation used in One Punch Man, FMAB, My Hero Academia), makes sure every action scene is intense, and so, the hits are visible. You actually see characters hitting, harming, being harmed, injured, and everything, in a clean way. And, of course there are noticeable dips in quality, but rarely are shows able to maintain quality consistently throughout.
Characters(7.5/10): This is a strong point, and sometime a weak point in the anime. The main character, Meliodas, is not a conventional shounen protagonist. He's over-powered, and no one other than the members of the Seven Deadly Sins pose a challenge to him for the first half of the series. He's laid back, and is a pervert, he doesn't really have a goal or anything. The other sins are also extremely like-able. But, Elizabeth, the princess, is, well, useless. She's a weak McGuffin, and nothing more. There's also a pig character which serves as a comic relief, and I found him to be funny and quippy but I feel like he can be hit or miss for other people. The villains are service-able and nothing exceptional, but the supporting characters are pretty memorable.
Story(8/10): I always like stories with a conspiracy angle(ala FMAB, my second favourite anime of all time), and this was a pleasant surprise for me. There wasn't a lot of cliche's and the story felt unique in its own way, and the plot moved at a brisk pace. The story is never super serious, and maintains a fun tone, and also has a lot of violence and fan-service, so be warned. 
Voice Acting(9/10): Everyone sounded really appealing to me. Most of them were veterans who voiced like really popular characters(which you'll know if you browse their MAL profiles). On a side note, watch episode 20 till the end, when the preview of the next episode is being shown, if you are a big fan of Mamoru Miyano, and his performance as Okabe Rintarou.
Pacing(7.5/10): I think that the initial episodes, go a little bit faster than they should, and I think they should've taken more time with the setting. But they do eventually settle down and go at a very good pace, for most of the series, but, the last couple of episodes feel a little rushed. It's not slow, not at all, but really fast.

Overall, this is an entertaining Shounen anime, with a pretty unique setting, like-able characters, great action sequences and a good plot, although it may feel rushed at times.
Score: 8/10.
Anime Info:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/23755/Nanatsu_no_Taizai

Important Note: Every episode has a scene after the ending song gets over, so don't forget to watch it before moving on to the next episode.

Regarding the OVA:
The first episode is more of an expanded take on an event that takes place in the main series, and the second episode is a slice of life episode. You can skip them.
OVA Info:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/30347/Nanatsu_no_Taizai_OVA

Regarding the mini-series:
The anime does some things at the end that aren't in the manga, so the mini-series retcons and corrects certain things. It's kinda good, and there's some action in it, and you can watch it if you like these characters and you want more episodes.
Mini-series Info:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31722/Nanatsu_no_Taizai__Seisen_no_Shirushi

Trailer for Nanatsu no Taizai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxcvbL6o55M

PS: There's also a second season that starts airing in January 2018. 
Info on the second season:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34577/Nanatsu_no_Taizai__Imashime_no_Fukkatsu

Another Note: Don't confuse this series with Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai, which is a 2017 series that has 12 episodes and terrible ratings in myanimelist.

Seems netflix has the anime magic to keep churning out series on such a highly received level.

Anyways, this sounds like something I would love. I'll try and check it out at some point.

Demon_skeith said:
Seems netflix has the anime magic to keep churning out series on such a highly received level.

Anyways, this sounds like something I would love. I'll try and check it out at some point.

Well, technically it's made by A-1, and licensed by Aniplex, they are merely streaming it. I have no idea why they are marketing as a Netflix Original. One interesting thing I learned yesterday was that this was the 4th most binge-watched show the year it came on Netflix.

It is but the main way that mal listed that anime as the old heroes rising to the top like fairy tail

Star_Of_Hope said:
It is but the main way that mal listed that anime as the old heroes rising to the top like fairy tail

But it is what it is you know. That's why I don't go in with expectations in regards to the plot. Of course, it has to interest me first. That's my bare minimum threshold.

MadaraUchiha said:
But it is what it is you know. That's why I don't go in with expectations in regards to the plot. Of course, it has to interest me first. That's my bare minimum threshold.

I don't trust Mal all that much but when I do, it always ends up in disappointment.

Star_Of_Hope said:
I don't trust Mal all that much but when I do, it always ends up in disappointment.

I see. It's the opposite for me. For the most part, high scoring anime with more than 100,000 votes have almost turned out to be good. A few exceptions include Tokyo Ghoul, Erased(although I watched both of them when they aired, so MAL didn't have any influence on me).

MadaraUchiha said:
I see. It's the opposite for me. For the most part, high scoring anime with more than 100,000 votes have almost turned out to be good. A few exceptions include Tokyo Ghoul, Erased(although I watched both of them when they aired, so MAL didn't have any influence on me).

These days, I am using many websites like anime news Network, my anime list and this forum, to pick an anime
Your reviews do play a vital role helping me in picking an anime

Star_Of_Hope said:
These days, I am using many websites like anime news Network, my anime list and this forum, to pick an anime
Your reviews do play a vital role helping me in picking an anime

Thank you!

BurnsyCEO said:
Tried watching this a few weeks back and dropped it cause it was so trash.

Trash because of the story and characters or the fan-service?
I agree that it doesn't have a good start, and you kinda need to get used to it. But I love shounen anime so anything marginally good and I'll mostly watch it.

MadaraUchiha said:
Trash because of the story and characters or the fan-service?
I agree that it doesn't have a good start, and you kinda need to get used to it. But I love shounen anime so anything marginally good and I'll mostly watch it.

Aah yes the show is pretty trashy I agree, on the level of light novel adaptations sometimes. I don't know everything just clicked for me I guess. But it actually becomes interesting in the middle but I suppose that's an argument everyone uses.

I didn't drop this but I haven't watched the second season. Once you start watching it you could go with the flow, but if you don't like the funny part, it could be very difficult to get into it.

Nameless said:
I didn't drop this but I haven't watched the second season. Once you start watching it you could go with the flow, but if you don't like the funny part, it could be very difficult to get into it.

you are forgetting that it's a historical anime. if you like the first season then you will like the second season too.
i like that girl giant a lot.

Back