Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread

DarkAngel

V.I.P. Member
Top Poster Of Month
may be it's better to have this lol
there are many such anime and in this place we can discuss all of them lol. i think boruto is overrated and it can't beat naruto and this is just my opinion. what do you think?
@MadaraUchiha please pin this thread

Alright, let me try to list out really good underrated anime first.
1. One outs
2. Kyou Kara ore wa
3. Seirei no moribito
4. Twelve kingdoms

Alright, let me try to list out really good underrated anime first.
1. One outs
2. Kyou Kara ore wa
3. Seirei no moribito
4. Twelve kingdoms
that's a good list lol
then let's try to add some more. even bl too sekai ichi hatsukoi as well.
@Mehr do you have any anime to add here?

You know I think Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has got to be the most overrated anime. I might get flak saying that though! xD I just think it's a very ugly anime, and that's really why I can't get into it. I know the art style was different back in the day, so maybe I'll watch some of the older seasons. Shinzo is a very underrated anime, it's been years since I've watched a episode and I kind of want to try and watch it again soon once I'm caught up with Demon Slayer.

I wish people knew that overrated doesn't mean "it's popular and I don't like it".
I don't speak good English but isn't that exactly what overrated means? If many people likes it for no apparent reason and you don't get why it's got so much hype, then isn't it overrated for you? I even know people who likes a character just because it's been voiced by their favorite voice actor.

I don't speak good English but isn't that exactly what overrated means? If many people likes it for no apparent reason and you don't get why it's got so much hype, then isn't it overrated for you? I even know people who likes a character just because it's been voiced by their favorite voice actor.
It’s kinda sorta true, but not really.

Overrated just means “rated higher than you think it is”. It doesn’t exclusively mean “it’s popular and I don’t like it”. It doesn’t even have to be popular, it can just be critically acclaimed. It also doesn’t mean “I hate this”, as you’re also able to say something is overrated and still like it. You’ll also be surprised at how many popular things are also not critically acclaimed. So is it really overrated if critics think it’s mediocre or worse?

For example, you find a show, watched it and enjoyed it. You think it’s a solid 7/10. Pretty good, you may or may not watch again. Then you find out that it’s ridiculously popular and everyone you know and the press says it’s a perfect 10/10. Really? You enjoyed it but not that much.

That’s a great example of you thinking something is overrated.

I feel like most people throw it on something they hate because they feel it adds a seal of authenticity and rebelliousness to it. They’re not being a sheep like everyone else is. Why can’t you just say you think it just sucks?

Sword Art Online, there I said it. Yes, I did try and watch it by the way. I just...could not get into it?? I may try again as it was so long ago.

Excel Saga for underrated anime for sure IMO, same with Noir. Some good stuff there and don't see too much discussed online about them.

Sword Art Online, there I said it. Yes, I did try and watch it by the way. I just...could not get into it?? I may try again as it was so long ago.

Excel Saga for underrated anime for sure IMO, same with Noir. Some good stuff there and don't see too much discussed online about them.
Is SAO really overrated if it’s one of the most trash talked anime of the past decade?

Good point....
Well IN my opinion it is overrated not because of anything like 'omg people like it!!' and whatever.
It just seems weird to call something that’s popular to shit on as overrated.

Like saying a show people call 5/10 isn’t overrated.

Good point....
Well IN my opinion it is overrated not because of anything like 'omg people like it!!' and whatever.
i agree too.
many people don't like sao but even more people like it and that qualifies for it being overrated lol

It’s kinda sorta true, but not really.

Overrated just means “rated higher than you think it is”. It doesn’t exclusively mean “it’s popular and I don’t like it”. It doesn’t even have to be popular, it can just be critically acclaimed. It also doesn’t mean “I hate this”, as you’re also able to say something is overrated and still like it. You’ll also be surprised at how many popular things are also not critically acclaimed. So is it really overrated if critics think it’s mediocre or worse?

For example, you find a show, watched it and enjoyed it. You think it’s a solid 7/10. Pretty good, you may or may not watch again. Then you find out that it’s ridiculously popular and everyone you know and the press says it’s a perfect 10/10. Really? You enjoyed it but not that much.

That’s a great example of you thinking something is overrated.

I feel like most people throw it on something they hate because they feel it adds a seal of authenticity and rebelliousness to it. They’re not being a sheep like everyone else is. Why can’t you just say you think it just sucks?
Isn't it all comes down to one's own personal opinion and if we feel that something isn't good enough as the others say? I feel that many anime are overrated and if more than 60% of the anime fans doesn't feel the same, they could just turn around and say I got bad taste(usually words wouldn't be nice). That's what had happened to me many a times.

Isn't it all comes down to one's own personal opinion and if we feel that something isn't good enough as the others say? I feel that many anime are overrated and if more than 60% of the anime fans doesn't feel the same, they could just turn around and say I got bad taste(usually words wouldn't be nice). That's what had happened to me many a times.
I was addressing the response people have of using overrated meaning "it's popular and I don't like it", which is not what overrated means. People think that if you think something is overrated, you're not allowed to like it, which is definitely not true. You can think something is pretty good, but not god-tier like other people are saying.

Since people are bringing up SAO, that brings up another situation of something that's popular, but not really held in high regard. That begs the question of if it really is overrated if it's not actually held in high regard? If it's commonly considered not good, it can't really be overrated. The concept of overrated is that you're going against the general consensus, but if the general consensus is that it's not good, it's not being rated too highly.

There's a lot of popular things in all forms of media that's not really considered good, so what consensus are we going against by saying it's overrated?

Goku all the way for me. Many anime fans vouch Goku can beat all the gods in all the anime, which is to me is just absurd. I don't want to waste my breath talking to them

Back