Logan Movie Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Logan(2017) Movie Review

Genre: Superhero, Western.

Plot:
In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X in a hide out on the Mexican border. But Logan's attempt to hide from the world and his legacy are up-ended when a young mutant arrives, being pursued by dark forces.

Till the reviews dropped(I guess on Feb 15th), I honestly didn't have any expectations for this movie. It did have two very good trailers, even then, I just wanted to keep a low expectations. But, after the embargo for reviews was lifted, everything was overwhelmingly positive, so, obviously, I was hyped for this movie. I saw this on 15th of this month.

Pro's:
The action sequences:The violence and gore:The characters: I mean, even though it's a superhero movie, it doesn't feel like one. In actuality, this is a Western, and its focus is on the characters, being Logan, the little girl and Charles. All three of them are interesting and grip you fully.
The acting: It's the best part of the movie, easily. I mean, all three (Hugh Jackman as Logan, Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier, and the little girl) are amazing.
The pacing: This is a fast-paced film, especially in its first and third act.
It's shot beautifully.
It's edited seamlessly, especially during the action sequences.
The humour is minimal, and sprinkled throughout the movie, and works almost every single time.

Con's:
1. Sometimes, the film focuses on stuff like character development, and while it's not a bad thing, it becomes less interesting and sometimes overstays its welcome.
2. The emotional pay-off is not as good as I hoped it would be. When I consider pay-off, I think of The Dark Knight Rises. When, the movie ended, I wanted nothing more or nothing less, and to me the hero's journey was over. It was the perfect ending.
3. Even though it's not the point of the movie, the villain is not as strong as I hoped he would be.

Overall, this is a satisfying send-off to a beloved and iconic character, played wonderfully by Hugh Jackman, with bloody, violent(and satisfying) action, and great characters. This is my favourite X-men movie after X-men: First Class, and even though it's not as good as say something like The Dark Knight, it's in the same vein as that, and it's a great movie.
Score: 8/10.

Never heard of this and I didn't know it's an x-men movie. Do you wolerine in this movie?

Nel said:
Never heard of this and I didn't know it's an x-men movie. Do you wolerine in this movie?
'Do you wolerine in this movie?'
I don't get it^.

It's surprising to me that you've never heard of this movie, but, have heard of Kong Skull Island, even though this has made more money than Kong ever will, and is leaps and bounds better than Kong(and has generated more pre-release buzz than Kong).

I'm not a big fan of Marvel movies, and of X-Men in particular, so I didn't see this movie. The only X-Men movies I have seen are the ones with Jennifer Lawrence playing Mystique.

Elvis said:
I'm not a big fan of Marvel movies, and of X-Men in particular, so I didn't see this movie. The only X-Men movies I have seen are the ones with Jennifer Lawrence playing Mystique.

This is unlike any other X-Men movie, actually. It doesn't even, per se, fit into the 'superhero' genre. And, it's very good.

MadaraUchiha said:
This is unlike any other X-Men movie, actually. It doesn't even, per se, fit into the 'superhero' genre. And, it's very good.

Fit in the superhero genre in the sense...doesn't it have any superpowers .

Nel said:
Fit in the superhero genre in the sense...doesn't it have any superpowers .

In the sense that it doesn't have big CGI bloated scenes, and larger than life impossible set-pieces. It's a very personal story that happens to have superheroes in it.

MadaraUchiha said:
In the sense that it doesn't have big CGI bloated scenes, and larger than life impossible set-pieces. It's a very personal story that happens to have superheroes in it.

Not saving the world from bad guys is what I call a non superhero movie

MadaraUchiha said:
I don't really agree with that, but, this movie doesn't involve saving the world.

Why don't you agree with that? Isn't that what a hero does?

Nel said:
Why don't you agree with that? Isn't that what a hero does?
To quote from the Dark Knight Rises:
"
Commissioner Gordon: The people ought to know the hero who saved them!
Bruce Wayne/Batman: Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders(NOTE:His parents were murdered, the young boy's Bruce Wayne, ala Batman), to let him know the world hadn't ended.
"

MadaraUchiha said:
To quote from the Dark Knight Rises:
"
Commissioner Gordon: The people ought to know the hero who saved them!
Bruce Wayne/Batman: Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders(NOTE:His parents were murdered, the young boy's Bruce Wayne, ala Batman), to let him know the world hadn't ended.
"
Do you own any batman figure ? Or do you collect the dvd or some file set

Nel said:
Do you own any batman figure ? Or do you collect the dvd or some file set

I own a couple of action figures. I'm not a big collector, and that includes for DVD too. I prefer digital.

MadaraUchiha said:
I own a couple of action figures. I'm not a big collector, and that includes for DVD too. I prefer digital.

Are all the action figures that you own...are they all batman?

Nel said:
Are all the action figures that you own...are they all batman?

I meant I own a couple of Batman action figures, along with Spiderman, etc. These are things I bought 8-9 years ago.
The recent ones are anime-related, like Naruto, One Piece and Death Note merchandise.

MadaraUchiha said:
I meant I own a couple of Batman action figures, along with Spiderman, etc. These are things I bought 8-9 years ago.
The recent ones are anime-related, like Naruto, One Piece and Death Note merchandise.
They cost a ton. I don't know why the real ones are costly.

MadaraUchiha said:
No, I got these from a friend who lives in Japan.

Is he a family relative ? Or just an online friend? Can that friend get some goods for us too?

Back