Lego Batman Movie Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
The Lego Batman Movie(2017) Review

Plot:
There are big changes brewing in Gotham City, and if Batman wants to save the city from the Joker's hostile takeover, Batman may have to drop the lone vigilante thing, try to work with others, and maybe, just maybe, learn to lighten up.

Thoughts before watching the movie:
This is a spin-off of The Lego Movie(2014), and the stand-out character from that movie was Batman. I didn't love The Lego Movie when I watched it the first time, but, on the second watch, it was absolutely brilliant. So, I was excited to see this. Also, the main character is Batman, who is my favorite superhero ever, and The Dark Knight trilogy movies are probably in my top 10 of all time. I saw this movie on Saturday(18/2/17).

Pro's:
The Writing:Making fun of Batman: I mean, if you know the history of Batman, and if you've seen every single movie he's been in, this movie is a treat for you. This movie understands the character so perfectly, and that's why it's able to critic the character.
The Jokes and Comedy: Absolute gold. Now, this does not have normal straight-forward humor. It's extremely clever, and satirical, so, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not devoid of the conventional stuff.
A treat for Batman fans.
The Animation.
The Voice Acting, especially that of Will Arnett as Batman.
The relationship between Joker and Batman.
Suitable for both kids and adults.

Con's:
It kind of meanders a little bit in the second act.
Sometimes, the jokes can get a little tiresome, by that, I mean, every single one of them work, but, there's so much(probably one every 30 seconds), that you just become tired sometimes.

Verdict:
Most people said that this was better than The Lego Movie, but, I liked this one more, and that's just me, and maybe because I am a huge Batman fan. Overall, I'd give this movie 7.8/10.

PS: As far as Batman movies go, my order goes like this:
1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins
4. The Lego Batman Movie
5. Batman
6. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
7. Batman Returns
8. Batman Forever
9. Batman and Robin

Does it have any sarcastic statements? In your review, you gave more pros than cons but gave 7.8. Why?

Aoba said:
Does it have any sarcastic statements? In your review, you gave more pros than cons but gave 7.8. Why?

Yes, but, it's mostly a satire of Batman, and films in general.... It's very clever..... I give a movie 8 or above if it makes an impact on some level.... For example, I saw a movie called Hacksaw Ridge in December, and it hit me hard, and when I left the theatre, I couldn't think about anything expect the movie, and that's the kind of movie I'd give something like 8.5...... And, I also gave a movie called 'Arrival' an 8, because it was such an enriching theatrical experience that just gripped me till the end..... Review's here:
http://animemangaforum.com/Thread-Arrival-movie-review

MadaraUchiha said:
Yes, but, it's mostly a satire of Batman, and films in general.... It's very clever..... I give a movie 8 or above if it makes an impact on some level.... For example, I saw a movie called Hacksaw Ridge in December, and it hit me hard, and when I left the theatre, I couldn't think about anything expect the movie, and that's the kind of movie I'd give something like 8.5...... And, I also gave a movie called 'Arrival' an 8, because it was such an enriching theatrical experience that just gripped movie till the end..... Review's here:

It's completely off topic, but is Arrival set in Shanghai? I see those poster pictures with Oriental Pearl in the foreground.

MadaraUchiha said:
Yes, but, it's mostly a satire of Batman, and films in general.... It's very clever..... I give a movie 8 or above if it makes an impact on some level.... For example, I saw a movie called Hacksaw Ridge in December, and it hit me hard, and when I left the theatre, I couldn't think about anything expect the movie, and that's the kind of movie I'd give something like 8.5...... And, I also gave a movie called 'Arrival' an 8, because it was such an enriching theatrical experience that just gripped me till the end..... Review's here:
IS there any movie that you would give a 10? Or is that just superficial?

Aoba said:
IS there any movie that you would give a 10? Or is that just superficial?

Obviously, no movie is perfect, but, I consider rewatch value as a contributing factor, apart from direction, acting, editing, score, etc..... So, for me, the movies which come close to 10 are The Dark Knight , Lord of the Rings The Return of the King, the first two Godfather movies......

Why do you like batman even now?
Don't you think you are a bit old for that?

Nel said:
Why do you like batman even now?
Don't you think you are a bit old for that?
Have you even seen a Batman movie? Have you seen The Dark Knight? It's a movie that transcends the superhero genre, and it is a crime-drama....... And, Batman is not just for kids, he is for everyone....
How would you feel if I ask 'Why do you like anime even now? Don't you think you are a bit old for that?'....

MadaraUchiha said:
Have you even seen a Batman movie? Have you seen The Dark Knight? It's a movie that transcends the superhero genre, and it is a crime-drama....... And, Batman is not just for kids, he is for everyone....
How would you feel if I ask 'Why do you like anime even now? Don't you think you are a bit old for that?'....

I watch seinen series or gory series mostly and those are not for kids. I don't mind such questions as people ask them a lot. Not may people around me likes batman. I didn't know you were a batman fanboy.

Nel said:
I watch seinen series or gory series mostly and those are not for kids. I don't mind such questions as people ask them a lot. Not may people around me likes batman. I didn't know you were a batman fanboy.
Even I watch seinen series mostly. Batman is a character that's suitable for every age-group, just like anime. You could have bloody gory comic books like The Dark Knight Returns, psychological comic books like The Killing Joke and Hush, and family-friendly movies like The Lego Batman Movie, and stories suitable for matured audiences like The Dark Knight.

MadaraUchiha said:
Even I watch seinen series mostly. Batman is a character that's suitable for every age-group, just like anime. You could have bloody gory comic books like The Dark Knight Returns, psychological comic books like The Killing Joke and Hush, and family-friendly movies like The Lego Batman Movie, and stories suitable for matured audiences like The Dark Knight.

Okay you got me. Then do you like other movies like spiderman , Superman, ant man?

I'm 18, and I know you are judging me. It's just that you people aren't able to see what's under the surface of these movies. Kids see the action and everything, but these are also mature. Just like anime.

MadaraUchiha said:
I'm 18, and I know you are judging me. It's just that you people aren't able to see what's under the surface of these movies. Kids see the action and everything, but these are also mature. Just like anime.

It's hard to see you as a matre adult when you defend batman with such ferocity.

Back