La La Land Movie Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
La La Land(2016) Movie Review:

In honour of the 89th Academy Awards, that's gonna happen a few hours from now, I'm gonna review the movie that has been nominated for 14 awards, and is probably the front-runner for Best Picture. I saw this movie in December, and have been wanting to review it for a long time, but, haven't really found the time for it, and I feel like this is the perfect time and occasion for it.

Plot:
La La Land tells the story of Mia(Emma Stone), an aspiring actress, and Sebastian(Ryan Gosling), a dedicated jazz musician, who are struggling to make ends meet in a city known for crushing hopes and breaking hearts. Set in modern day Los Angeles, this musical about everyday life explores the joy and pain of pursuing your dreams.

Pro's:
It looks gorgeous: The film is set in LA, and the city looks amazing. Everything has a sort of blue-ish filter to it, and it was beautiful. The last time the city looked this good was in the movie Collateral(starring Tom Cruise).
The Editing: The film is filled with long takes of dance sequences and musical numbers(and of course, acting), and it didn't look like Oscar-bait. It was executed very very well.
It's fast-paced.
The Opening Dance Number:The acting, particularly by Emma Stone, supported by Ryan Gosling.
It's inspiring: You are mistaken, if you think this is simply a musical love story. This is a story about achieving your dreams, this a story about people who will go on no matter what hurdles they face. This story is also like a kick to people to go out there and work hard. This story is for those people who find it difficult to reach their hand just a little bit to achieve their dreams.
The romance, and the chemistry.
The film is not afraid to take difficult decisions in the story.
The musical numbers: The musical numbers are not the greatest, they are very good to listen to, but, everything comes to fruition when they are being performed on screen. Even if you are not a fan of musicals, you'll like it(believe me when I say this, I saw Moana, which is an animated musical, and it got great reviews and everything, but, in my opinion, it sucked, and one of the reasons for that is the singing was too much and got on my nerves many times).
The dance sequences are very good: They are fantastical and dreamy, and beautiful, and are choreographed and shot very well .

Con's:
The movie can get a bit sappy at times.
For some people, the movie maybe a bit hollow, and pretentious.

Verdict:
This is an inspiring, gorgeous, sweet movie that'll hook you till the end. But, for some people, it might be sappy.
I'm gonna give it an 8.1/10.

PS:

Never even heard of it.
I didn't know that you are into romance genres madarauchiha

Nel said:
Never even heard of it.
I didn't know that you are into romance genres madarauchiha
I am not, but, since every critic was talking about how good this movie was, I checked it out.....

MadaraUchiha said:
I am not, but, since every critic was talking about how good this movie was, I checked it out.....

Okay. If I get some time, then I will think about watching movie. Have you watched titanic too?

Nel said:
Okay. If I get some time, then I will think about watching movie. Have you watched titanic too?

Of course, I've watched it. They used to telecast that movie over and over in my country. It's not my favourite romance movie, or favourite movie directed by James Cameron or starring Leonardo DiCaprio, but I like it a lot.

MadaraUchiha said:
Of course, I've watched it. They used to telecast that movie over and over in my country. It's not my favourite romance movie, or favourite movie directed by James Cameron or starring Leonardo DiCaprio, but I like it a lot.

Somehow I never took you for a secret romantic. It's just weird

Nel said:
Somehow I never took you for a secret romantic. It's just weird
I'm not exactly a romantic. I don't like to shun movies just because they belong to a particular genre, and these two are very good movies.

MadaraUchiha said:
I'm not exactly a romantic. I don't like to shun movies just because they belong to a particular genre, and these two are very good movies.

I'm not getting defensive. I ain't no romantic. Romeo and Juliet is not my thing, and Titanic isn't either.

MadaraUchiha said:
I'm not getting defensive. I ain't no romantic. Romeo and Juliet is not my thing, and Titanic isn't either.

Well alright. I am not judging you either way. Just what is your thing then?

Back