Japanese manga

ZandraJoi

There are so many manga out there in Japanese. I was wondering, for those who watch the series or movies, do you prefer to watch it in the native language with English subtitles or in English. I used to watch them in English. I thought it was easier to understand. Then when I tried a few in Japanese, I found out so much literally got lost in the translation. Some things were sugar-coated, watered down in English. The storyline was the same yet the dialogue felt different.

I think we have like 15 threads on this topic alone.

Honestly, most of the dubs that are vastly different from the subbed versions are the ones that were broadcast in TV and had to appease the TV censors, or had to be Americanized. Nowadays with dubbed shows just being on streaming services and home video, you’re at like 90 something percent the same dialog, so you’re only going to be making mountains out of molehills with the single digit percent differences between the dub and sub dialog.

[quote="Razor1911" pid='258477' dateline='1624528020']
Now a days, most of the streaming services provide dubbed movies and series. I have been watching movies in crunchyroll with paid membership. Almost all of the movies they provide are dubbed in English.
[/quote]

Usually the movies have a higher chance of getting dubbed than a show.

[quote="Grungie" pid='258400' dateline='1624417773']
I think we have like 15 threads on this topic alone.

Honestly, most of the dubs that are vastly different from the subbed versions are the ones that were broadcast in TV and had to appease the TV censors, or had to be Americanized. Nowadays with dubbed shows just being on streaming services and home video, you’re at like 90 something percent the same dialog, so you’re only going to be making mountains out of molehills with the single digit percent differences between the dub and sub dialog.
[/quote]

haven't you ever thought that by looking at the subtitles, you might miss some scenes in the anime or in other movies?
it can't be helped most of the time, but if given a choice, dub is more effective for people who don't know japanese

[quote="Blackangel" pid='258497' dateline='1624601918']

haven't you ever thought that by looking at the subtitles, you might miss some scenes in the anime or in other movies?
it can't be helped most of the time, but if given a choice, dub is more effective for people who don't know japanese
[/quote]

I think it depends on the person. There’s plenty of people who can watch it while reading the subtitles and not miss anything, but there’s also a lot of people who can’t.

Tokyo Ghoul (????????????) is one of my favorite Japanese anime which was produced in 2011 to 2014. It was all based on the storyline of Ghoul living in the human society blending in but feeding on human flesh for food.

Back