Is there a worse game reviewer than IGN?

[quote="Grungie" pid='243583' dateline='1615062178']

I’ve never played Mario Odyssey, so I can’t give you an opinion on that. With BOTW, maybe lower your expectations a bit depending on what you’re looking for. I had more fun running around and exploring than I was doing the dungeons and shrines.
[/quote]

Yeah from time to time I get videos on my Twitter feed, people messing around with the physics of the game. Looks like a lot of fun.
I'm probably looking forward to Odyssey more since I prefer 3D Mario.

apathy said:
My bad, I misread and thought it said 2019 and was talking about the newer one (which still would have been the wrong year but still). You're right, at least as far as general consensus goes that's totally wrong for the 2016 one.
I do remember a good bit of controversy surrounding the newer one which is why I would have thought a 7.1 appropriate.

I haven't played the game, so I can't give my personal opinion on the exploration, maybe the reviewer did legit like it. Though after looking at the reviewer on IGN, it looks like they probably sacked him or something, because he only wrote one other review, and hasn't done anything on there since 2018.

IGN does have several reviewers, which can lead to conflicting opinions for various games in the same genre. I personally find it harder to criticize IGN for conflicting opinions because they have say, 20 people reviewing all the FPS games over a several year period. It's more understandable to complain about conflicting reviews when it comes to a Youtube reviewer where it's the same guy doing all the reviews. So it makes more sense to me to complain about if Angry Joe said Doom 2016 was a 7.1/10 not innovative enough, but the new carbon copy COD game is a 10/10 GOTY material, versus IGN doing that when 2 different people reviewed both games. As much as I find the "7.8/10 too much water" review on Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire hilariously bad, the 9.8/10 review on the original was written by a completely different person.

So instead of treating IGN as a singular entity, you could treat it as a network of people. So Joe Schmoe on IGN knows his shit, I trust that guy's reviews, but Bob Someone on there is an idiot, he doesn't know his controller from his ass. Basically the same way we treat different Youtube reviewers.

I probably didn't do a good job explaining before I started ranting, but it was more to do with you basically saying IGN are shills for giving near perfect scores for AAA games that are really generic, and how games that are praised now were games that IGN got called out for handing out shill reviews years ago.

Idk, I started seeing more Skyward Sword fans crawling out the woodworks when BOTW came out. Usually when opinions shift on games, a big reason is when a lot of the people who grew up on those games get old enough to become the majority age group for the "general consensus". Skyward Sword is 10 years old now, and in another 5-10 years, more people who grew up on it will become the majority to praise the game. I've been playing Zelda for 25 years, and I saw the shift in praise for the 3 home console titles between OOT and Skyward Sword shift from trash to amazing as those games kept getting older.

Some fans coming out of the wood works really doesn't mean anything at all. It could be a completely new gaming generation playing the games and it's not like there's not a hundred different biases already there in the minds of these players like what game's and series they're already played and how old they are and what they grew up with. Even if the subsequent games were improvements or not which really distorts a person's perspective. A new review when a game is released is probably the most accurate time to make a review when everyone's at least on the same ideological plane. So I think the review which comes out when the game gets released should be held to a standard much higher than people's opinions.

[quote="Burnsy" pid='243624' dateline='1615137177']

Some fans coming out of the wood works really doesn't mean anything at all. It could be a completely new gaming generation playing the games and it's not like there's not a hundred different biases already there in the minds of these players like what game's and series they're already played and how old they are and what they grew up with. Even if the subsequent games were improvements or not which really distorts a person's perspective. A new review when a game is released is probably the most accurate time to make a review when everyone's at least on the same ideological plane. So I think the review which comes out when the game gets released should be held to a standard much higher than people's opinions.
[/quote]

I think my perspective on changing opinions over time is admittedly distorted with being too exposed to too many longer running communities where the contrasting user vs critic score doesn’t have a lot to do with the actual game itself. The professional critics just review the game as it is, and score it based on the actual merits of the game, but the general users are upset over some seemingly random outside force or internal fandom politicking. Then the opinion turnaround is based on not being exposed to whatever garbage the fans are bickering about when the game came out.

fans can have a bit of falling out
usually it's because of the expectations grungie and it can't be helped.

[quote="Blackangel" pid='243647' dateline='1615178139']
fans can have a bit of falling out
usually it's because of the expectations grungie and it can't be helped.
[/quote]

A lot of the time, it’s not even expectations. Some of it is dumb stuff, like the game has cartoon graphics, or the franchise wasn’t really that popular, therefore we should hate that game for making the franchise popular.

Or it’s an entry where a franchise jumped to a different console manufacturer, so now we should hate it because of that. Though the entertaining part is how it’s a game franchise that wasn’t stuck on a particular console.

apathy said:
Just looked it up, what I was talking about was the version of Denuvo Doom Eternal shipped with that kept trying to access Ring 0. That was definitely a big deal and far more than a vocal 5%, but it is concerning Denuvo rather than Doom, it just happened to be the version Doom shipped with so it got review bombed.

https://www.techspot.com/news/85263-doom-eternal-gets-review-bombed-following-kernel-mode.html

Oh, I didn't have the game back then I got it much later so I didn't hear about that stuff.

Burnsy said:
Oh, I didn't have the game back then I got it much later so I didn't hear about that stuff.

No worries dude I should have looked it up instead of just being lazy and calling it controversy, lol.

Back