Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Review

Shole

Its been a while since I reviewed an anime, but  here we go. I went into watching this anime with a mixed first impression. Like I thought its some annoying anime and was I proven wrong. Don’t ask me why I thought it might be bad and not enjoyable because I don’t know it myself .Story:
The story starts off with Chiyo confessing to Nozaki, who mistook her for a fan. Nozaki is in fact a mangaka who draws and writes shojo mangas, due to the confusion he gives her a autograph , she tells him that she wants always to be with him which he takes as a help offer for his manga. Than poor Chiyo starts her crazy adventures as Nozakis assistant . While the show progresses we encounter various characters that make us laugh with their way of thinking or acting in certain situations. The anime gives a way a nice vibe mixed from romance and comedy that makes this anime very enjoyable to watch. There is one part though that I didn’t enjoy [BIG SPOILER WARNING] in the end no one gets together they just remain friends until the end of the series , but I hope if they make a second season that we will see some couples [BIG SPOILER WARNING].
I do not want to spoil it to much but I’d say that the story is very comedic and very enjoyable to watch. I didn’t read the manga yet so I am not sure if there is a difference in the storyline but I will do it soon and post about it.Characters:This show has an amazing amount of interesting characters. Usually you’d find in a anime focused more on the comedic aspect 2-3 main characters that rotate with supporting characters, but here we have seven main characters, lets look at them more closely shall we:

Chiyo Sakura – The girl who got confused as fan and who works with her crush on his shojo manga. She is a clumsy girl and has only eyes for Nozaki .On her head  she wears two large ribbons that have a polka dot pattern. She is the shortest girl in the anime and is always cheerful unless Nozaki makes a wrong assumption about her actions. Nozaki  Umetarou - The creator of the shoujo manga “Let’s Love~”. This manga is published in the magazine called Monthly Shoujo Romance.  Although he has no personal experience with love or romance in any way, he comes up with amazing stories due to his research, aka watching the people around his school living their life, although most of the time he comes up with crazy ideas he is guided by his editor or by his friends and coworkers in the right direction. 
Mikoto Mikoshiba – He looks like a playboy but is the shyest person on the show . He might act though and cool in front of other people but that doesn’t last long and he ends up in a corner reminding  himself how embarrassing it was to say those things. He’s nickname is Mikorin, given by Nozaki because the simple fact that Nozaki uses him as the model for the heroine in his manga. Mikoto is in charge of drawing the accessories and effects in the manga. 
Yuzuki Seo – The crazy classmate of Sakura who easily offends people without even knowing it. She thinks she is too perfect at some point . She is rude and doesn’t usually get the mood but she is a good person . But there is a good side to her…that starts with a bad side, she is great at being a practice member so that the basketball team gets used to play with dirty players , she practices with both the girls team and boys team and she gave the boys nightmares. Waka (Ill tell you who he is next up) got insomnia from he. Now to her good side. Seo is also know by her nickname “Lorelei” because of her beautiful voice and singing. Sakura gave Nozaki a few songs of her and he accidentally put them on while Waka was at his apartment. Waka fell instantly asleep and didn’t have any more problems sleeping.
Hirotaka Wakamatsu – First year, basketball player and the eraser of this group of people who works on Nozakis managa. He was harassed by Seo until he got insomnia. He than did what every smart person would do….read a shojo manga to see what he should do. He wrote her a love letter and put it in her locker because he didn’t know how to write a threatening one, and in that letter he told her that he will be waiting on the roof for her. On the roof he tried to explain how she is annoying and how she has been harassing him , yet Seo responded in a way only she can and thats by giving him the nickname “Waka” . So Waka got really mad and started telling her how he had insomnia and if it wouldn’t be for Lorelei he wouldn’t be able to live…basic romantic stuff. Of course Waka didn’t know Seo was his goddess.Yuu Kashima – A girl with the nickname “The prince of the school” . She is in the drama club, but her nickname comes from the way she acts like a medieval white knight (the one we find in many romantic books and stories ) . Her personality often gets her in trouble with the president of the drama club, but she doesn’t mind the trouble because she likes him. Although her way of expressing her feelings for him are totally wrong and never in a million years can the poor guy find out that she actually likes him and doesn’t try to annoy him.
Masayuki Hori – The president of the drama club and the love interest of Kashima. He is usually the calm type unless Kashima is involved. He is the sole reason Kashima joined the drama club, he’s acting was supreme although he had to quit it due to his hight. In the manga group he is working on the backgrounds of Nozakis master piece .Personal Enjoyment:Really enjoyable anime to watch, I laughed a lot and I mean a lot (not sure if it was due to the fact that I had too many exams and didn’t learn but watched anime and that caused my mind to go crazy a bit). It was really enjoyable and the amount of romance was enough to give the story a good effect. Usually comedies do have a good story but the story is only one dimensional going only trough the comedy genre and really little about the other aspects of the story, while in this we find romance and a bit of slice of life in it . All in all I would recommend this anime to watch and here are my ratings :Story:  13/20
Characters: 20/20
Art: 18/20
Sound: 17/20
Personal Rating:  15/20
Rating: 83/100

Source: http://otakovic.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/anime-review-gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun/

Back