Fairy Tail 2014 Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Anime Review: Fairy Tail 2014

Number of Episodes: 102(covers episodes176-277)

Fillers: 202-226(Episode 27-51 in Fairy Tail 2014)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Magic, Fantasy, Shounen

Note: May contain spoilers for the original Fairy Tail(1-175).

Plot:
Focusing on Natsu and the others who have been frozen in time for seven years on Sirius Island, the members continue to participate in the Grand Magic Games, an annual competition to decide Fiore's strongest guild. However, they encounter a conspiracy involving the Eclipse Project and the imminent destruction of the Fiore Kingdom.

Review:
There are two major arcs in the series, the continuation of the Grand Magic Games arc(176-203) and the Tartaros arc(234-265), a mini-arc, the Sun Village arc(227-233), and a prequel arc, called the Fairy Tail Zero arc(266-275). 
The good things about the two major arcs are that they both start and end on a strong note. They do a good job with the setup and the payoff. The animation is pretty consistent throughout the series, and the characters are pretty like-able. The series does have a few emotional moments here and there. And, the art is pretty good too. The voice acting is great, just like the original series. The best part is the music, which in my opinion surpasses that of the original. 
But, all the problems that existed in the original series creep up here, and sometimes amplify too, since most arcs in the original were pretty short but here, there aren't a lot, and in the two major arcs they get amplified a bit. The main problem is that most of the arc is occupied by fight sequences, and I don't mind them if they are done well. But, that's almost always not the case. They are dragged out and overstay their welcome, and it's either the opponents talking to each other, indulging in expository dialogue that explains the plot, or mediocre animation that shows the two face off and throw some punches or use their powers. The action sequences lack direction and look like it's just a manga panel with limited movement. And sometimes, the series looks like it's building towards a death scene, but at the last moment, it introduces a deus ex machina and does a cop out. And, when the sun village arc starts, the series dedicates 7 minutes to recap and the opening song, which is more than even what One Piece does, and that doesn't even have an ending song. Also, 'the power of friendship', is almost always the element that allows someone to gain strength when weakened and fight back, even when they are incapacitated.
The mini Sun Village arc is pretty good with a good balance between action and character interations, and regarding Fairy Tail Zero, you are better of reading the manga since it takes 10 episodes to adapt 13 chapters. The 13 chapters are separate from the original series, and it's named 'Fairy Tail Zero). The Fairy Tail Zero is very good, and does so much stuff in 13 chapters.

Overall, if you loved the original Fairy Tail, you'll like this, but I prefer the original series because in spite of its ups and downs, I thought it had a lot of variety, but this was still quite a bit of fun, and you'll like it if you don't binge it and not watch more than 2-3 episodes at once.

Score: 7/10.

PS: This series adapts chapters 300-419 of the main series and all the chapters of Fairy Tail Zero(13 chapters).

And, @Claraviolet don't delete this review too xP.

That happened only once....we don't any conflicting topics anymore...
so...I won't okay....
Great review by the way :p
I would probably give it a 6 though

Claraviolet said:
That happened only once....we don't any conflicting topics anymore...
so...I won't okay....
Great review by the way :p
I would probably give it a 6 though

What score would you give to the original?

Great review as always. I expected you to give it at least 7.5 madarauciha.
7 minutes is a bit extreme but as there is no ending song, it can be justifiable

That's a detailed one. The series was dragged and people lost interest are natsu started fighting with gray.
I used to like the series but now it's just a boring one

Great review, though I admit the anime did drag a lot I still enjoyed it along with its pretty good OST. I give the series a 7 as well and hopefully it gets finished rather soon now that the manga is done.

MadaraUchiha said:
What score would you give to the original?

A 6.6 . I don't like fan service. So it would never earn a 7 from me.
I hate erza's armors for the same reason

Demon_skeith said:
Great review, though I admit the anime did drag a lot I still enjoyed it along with its pretty good OST. I give the series a 7 as well and hopefully it gets finished rather soon now that the manga is done.

If they care about having a 'good' episode number, they'll probably have 73 episodes in the final season. Which is not all that bad. They have 126 chapters to adapt, and probably a few omake here and there(277+73=350). Naruto had something like that. The manga ended at exactly chapter 700, and Naruto Shippuuden at episode 500.

KuranKaname said:
That's a detailed one. The series was dragged and people lost interest are natsu started fighting with gray.
I used to like the series but now it's just a boring one

When did Natsu start fighting with Gray?

Claraviolet said:
A 6.6 . I don't like fan service. So it would never earn a 7 from me.
I hate erza's armors for the same reason

That means a lot of anime are out of the question, though. To each their own.

did she delete your fairy tail review? i don't think it's a hentai anime. it's an echii anime only. i like it and i think they should focus more on plot than fan service as it's an action anime too.

yaoifangirl said:
did she delete your fairy tail review? i don't think it's a hentai anime. it's an echii anime only. i like it and i think they should focus more on plot than fan service as it's an action anime too.

It was a mistake. I was just making fun of her.
Yeah, it's a bit fan-service heavy. It's not a hentai. I agree.

Demon_skeith said:

MadaraUchiha said:
If they care about having a 'good' episode number, they'll probably have 73 episodes in the final season. Which is not all that bad. They have 126 chapters to adapt, and probably a few omake here and there(277+73=350). Naruto had something like that. The manga ended at exactly chapter 700, and Naruto Shippuuden at episode 500.

When did Natsu start fighting with Gray?

That means a lot of anime are out of the question, though. To each their own.

Did you really read fairy tail Nanda it follow it?
May be he is called Black natsu but he was evil

KuranKaname said:
Did you really read fairy tail Nanda it follow it?
May be he is called Black natsu but he was evil

Well, I watched the anime, and that's it. There wasn't any fight like that.

MadaraUchiha said:
It was a mistake. I was just making fun of her.
Yeah, it's a bit fan-service heavy. It's not a hentai. I agree.

fan-service is all it has. erza is just there to look good and lucy is all time fan service girl in it. if i liked yuri or if i am a boy, i would have liked it

yaoifangirl said:
fan-service is all it has. erza is just there to look good and lucy is all time fan service girl in it. if i liked yuri or if i am a boy, i would have liked it

While I agree that both Lucy and Erza served as fan-service characters, I have to disagree to your statement that that's all they have. I do think that they are fairly like-able, and do contribute to the plot. Though, they don't really undergo major character development over the course of the series(or any other Fairy Tail character, for that matter).

MadaraUchiha said:
While I agree that both Lucy and Erza served as fan-service characters, I have to disagree to your statement that that's all they have. I do think that they are fairly like-able, and do contribute to the plot. Though, they don't really undergo major character development over the course of the series(or any other Fairy Tail character, for that matter).

I did see character development in naruto for sakura and twelve kingdoms. But it's rare

KuranKaname said:
I did see character development in naruto for sakura and twelve kingdoms. But it's rare

Naruto, for sure. But I wouldn't agree that Sakura had development. She did, but she was poorly written. In my opinion.

MadaraUchiha said:
Naruto, for sure. But I wouldn't agree that Sakura had development. She did, but she was poorly written. In my opinion.

She is strong, she might even defeat Tsunade and she is pretty and played a major part in Naruto's life in getting Sasuke back. What more could you ask?

KuranKaname said:
She is strong, she might even defeat Tsunade and she is pretty and played a major part in Naruto's life in getting Sasuke back. What more could you ask?

Haphazard development. See, the thing is not about whether she's useful are not. It's just that, characters like Ino or Shikamaru do more useful stuff, with less screen-time, while she barely does anything even though she's a main character. Plus, her mating with Sasuke? That's pretty abusive.
Even towards the end, she was being pathetic and cried and begged to Sasuke, asking him to come back. And, he put a genjutsu Chidori on her.

Back