Elfen lied

Kaynil

So I watched the anime some years ago. A mixed bag but predominantly I thought it was good . I was recommended to read the manga, as it explained better the origin with the girl she was with on the OVA. I also was told the ending was more elaborated and overall a must read if I liked the anime.

Well, I am not sure I can agree with that and while at first I thought the anime added some weird discreet erotica to attract audiences it turns out it is actually toned down from the manga. The anime also did away with a few subplots that were either pointless or detrimental to the big arch.

One character that got the axe was Nozomi, a friend of Yuka that likes singing would practice in the mansion the protagonists were staying in.

After the bridge part that climax the anime, the manga keeps on going for a while and has some WTF curves. A few new characters are introduced. In general, I think the anime tried to tie things better and keep the characters consistent. So out of the two I recommend you the anime all the way.

But that was my experience, has any of you read this manga? How do you think it fares compared with the anime?

Kaynil said:
So I watched the anime some years ago. A mixed bag but predominantly I thought it was good . I was recommended to read the manga, as it explained better the origin with the girl she was with on the OVA. I also was told the ending was more elaborated and overall a must read if I liked the anime.

Well, I am not sure I can agree with that and while at first I thought the anime added some weird discreet erotica to attract audiences it turns out it is actually toned down from the manga. The anime also did away with a few subplots that were either pointless or detrimental to the big arch.

One character that got the axe was Nozomi, a friend of Yuka that likes singing would practice in the mansion the protagonists were staying in.

After the bridge part that climax the anime, the manga keeps on going for a while and has some WTF curves. A few new characters are introduced. In general, I think the anime tried to tie things better and keep the characters consistent. So out of the two I recommend you the anime all the way.

But that was my experience, has any of you read this manga? How do you think it fares compared with the anime?
now that you mention it, i didn't even try Elfen Lied Manga... i'll read it and get back to you with an answer in the next *checking how many chapters* lol 3 weeks. yes it won't take me that long to read. i really enjoyed the anime, i know though, that many Manga's are not presented as 100% cannon, so it doesn't surprise me that the manga is much more elaborated in terms of characters and side plots, but i have to admit, i was really depressed after watching it... it made me think of many aspects that are rotten in our society, and i know i can't change it, so i get depressed a little. but i think i can handle the manga better after 3 years of Elfen Lied.

Minj369 said:
now that you mention it, i didn't even try Elfen Lied Manga... i'll read it and get back to you with an answer in the next *checking how many chapters* lol 3 weeks. yes it won't take me that long to read. i really enjoyed the anime, i know though, that many Manga's are not presented as 100% cannon, so it doesn't surprise me that the manga is much more elaborated in terms of characters and side plots, but i have to admit, i was really depressed after watching it... it made me think of many aspects that are rotten in our society, and i know i can't change it, so i get depressed a little. but i think i can handle the manga better after 3 years of Elfen Lied.

It contains too much nudity. So I don't think it is worth the read

Nel said:
It contains too much nudity. So I don't think it is worth the read
I will not open that argument again, it's not the nudity that i care about, or gore or violence, it's the story behind it. i will not exclude something because it has something that people who are not me, consider as "worthy" or "not worthy" i couldn't care less if there are boobs or any other female or male parts shown. if it's there, it's supposed to be there, and i don't care why or if it's "annoying" for some people, or doesn't measure up to their own perception of what is good or not, i like what i like. because it's interesting and beautiful, and above all that, anime characters are much more beautiful in my eyes, whether naked or not, than real humans in hollywood taking off their cloths in a pg 13 movie.

Minj369 said:
I will not open that argument again, it's not the nudity that i care about, or gore or violence, it's the story behind it. i will not exclude something because it has something that people who are not me, consider as "worthy" or "not worthy" i couldn't care less if there are boobs or any other female or male parts shown. if it's there, it's supposed to be there, and i don't care why or if it's "annoying" for some people, or doesn't measure up to their own perception of what is good or not, i like what i like. because it's interesting and beautiful, and above all that, anime characters are much more beautiful in my eyes, whether naked or not, than real humans in hollywood taking off their cloths in a pg 13 movie.

I didn't mean it like that. You can't watch it with your daughter and it's a saD anime.

Nel said:
I didn't mean it like that. You can't watch it with your daughter and it's a saD anime.

I wasn't planning on watching it with my daughter, and i know it's sad, there are something kids can't watch, it's not suited for their age, that's why, there are times, you know, my daughter, is not stuck to my ass, and i can watch the things i like. maybe when she grows up, i'll show her some of them to clear some points, but if you ask me, the point of elfen lied, is so deep, and meaningful, that the moment i see this issue come up, when she'll grow up, i will sit her down and let her watch it, because, again, it's not the visual point, it's the lesson you take from the story.
EDIT
and if she still wouldn't understand, i will sit down after she watches it, and explain everything to her in detail.

Minj369 said:
I wasn't planning on watching it with my daughter, and i know it's sad, there are something kids can't watch, it's not suited for their age, that's why, there are times, you know, my daughter, is not stuck to my ass, and i can watch the things i like. maybe when she grows up, i'll show her some of them to clear some points, but if you ask me, the point of elfen lied, is so deep, and meaningful, that the moment i see this issue come up, when she'll grow up, i will sit her down and let her watch it, because, again, it's not the visual point, it's the lesson you take from the story.
EDIT
and if she still wouldn't understand, i will sit down after she watches it, and explain everything to her in detail.

Back