Dunkirk Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Dunkirk(2017) Movie Review

Plot:
Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire and France, nearly 400,000, are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

ProloguePro's:
Cinematography: This is one of the best-looking movies I've ever seen in my life, and the best this year, especially in a movie theatre. It looks pretty clear that everything was on location, all the ships, planes, the explosions. Every time the ocean was shown, it was breath-taking.
Acting: The movie has minimal dialogues, so, everything is conveyed through the actor's faces. It was a change of pace from a typical Nolan movie, which has a lot of dialogues. My favourite was Tom Hardy, as a dog-fighter. He was excellent.
Battle sequencesIntensityScore and Sound: Both of these have to be mentioned. The score, by Hans Zimmer, was amazing(as usual). The movie itself was a ticking clock, and Zimmer's score enhanced it. The sound is also very authentic.

Con's:
Some people(not me) may complain about characters not having any back-story(the usual cliche like pregnant wife, or setting near the beach or something).
Pacing(my friends complained about it, but, it didn't bother me).

Verdict:
This movie is about survival, and it doesn't have bloody bodies and organs lying around in the sand. It's very intense from start to finish, but, it's about the event itself, and not about characters. The best war movies, in my opinion, are Hacksaw Ridge and Saving Private Ryan, and this movie is up there with them.
Score: 8.8/10.

A military theme? I haven't seen one of them in a long time. I am going to add this to my list.

unfortunately, I don't watch too many movies as I do not find them enjoyable. While this sounds interesting I won't be watching it.

Ace said:
unfortunately, I don't watch too many movies as I do not find them enjoyable. While this sounds interesting I won't be watching it.

Sometimes they are good. Do give them a try especially for the good ones.

Ace said:
I see. More of an avid anime watcher?

MadaraUchiha said:
I see. More of an avid anime watcher?

more of a manga reader or light novel i can never pay attention to movies or shows so i miss out on a lot so it's less enjoyable

Ace said:
more of a manga reader or light novel i can never pay attention to movies or shows so i miss out on a lot so it's less enjoyable
To each his own I guess. I used to read, but, I prefer reading for hours together, and I don't find the time to do that these days, so, I prefer watching anime or movies.

Back