Do you use trial antivirus programs?

Elvis

V.I.P. Member
Most antivirus companies offer their programs for a 30 days trial period, which means that you can legally use the product with all the features included, but it will constantly show you in a small popup in the sidebar that you don't have a license and that you need to buy one before the trial period expires.

You can uninstall the program before the trial expires, obviously, and install another antivirus, so basically you could get a new trial antivirus every month without having to buy any of them.

Do you do this, or do you prefer to buy a license for a whole year instead of switching from one antivirus to another?

Well, there are lots of free (and good)antivirus software out there, like, AVG, Avira, etc.......So, I don't use trial versions........

There are people out there who work to create and constantly update the antivirus programs, and nobody works for free, so it's nice to support them by purchasing the paid version of the program...

I don't use antivirus, mostly because Linux is almost impenetrable with viruses. Unless someone really wants to write a code specially meant for your PC, its kinda impossible.

You know, there's a reason why 97% of supercomputers in the world have Linux operating system. Its the most used for servers, phones, watches, tablets, routers, VR's, TV's, cars, particle-colliders, traffic-lights, nuclear submarines, thermostats, air-conditioners, robots, drones, warships, aeroplanes, and freakin' SPACE STATIONS.

And I'm just a normal guy with otaku stuff on his PC, so I doubt my PC will ever be hacked.
#NoAntiVirusForever

Using Trial Anti-Virus won't give you the protection you really need from malwares and viruses. So, I prefer not using anything at all rather than using trial products.
If I really needed an anti-virus, I would buy a license, without caring about the high prices but that's worth it!

Daexto95 said:
Using Trial Anti-Virus won't give you the protection you really need from malwares and viruses. So, I prefer not using anything at all rather than using trial products.
If I really needed an anti-virus, I would buy a license, without caring about the high prices but that's worth it!
That's not true actually. Trial versions offer you full protection for an entire month. The point is to convince you that their products are worth purchasing, and after a month, they just tell you to either buy the product or uninstall it.

I have used them in situations where I am low on cash. However, though, it would be a top priority to get on premium anti-virus, not free stuff, ASAP.

Nope!

AVG free has served me well for the last 7 years.

I tried Norton once, uninstalled immediately because it was slowing my system way down.

I use ESET AV and when my g/f and I were broke, we'd keep using different e-mails to get free trials of it. Once 30 days was up, it became unusable so we'd use another e-mail. lol  We pay now for it and continue to do so. :)

I'm not using any because I have a good knowledge on how to not get a virus.
These programs are just slowing down my computer.

I mostly use common sense, which is the best antivirus ever.
But for the occasions I'm in doubt, I have ClamAV, which works really well, doesn't slow down your computer (because you run it only when you want it to), and it's free and open source software.
https://www.clamav.net/

Keranov said:
I'm not using any because I have a good knowledge on how to not get a virus.
These programs are just slowing down my computer.

Same I've used some in the past and they always got in the way and blocked stuff that i knew wasn't a virus or deleted files because the program thought it was harmful. I know enough now to not get a virus and if i do i can just remove it my self most of the time.

Honestly all people really need to use is Malwarebytes anti-malware program, if you use that, even the free version, you would have a well protected system.

Demon_skeith said:
Honestly all people really need to use is Malwarebytes anti-malware program, if you use that, even the free version, you would have a well protected system.

I am not familiar with Linux but it's popular enough to have anti virus programs. Just googled. Comodo antivirus seems to be popular for Linux

Star_Of_Hope said:
I am not familiar with Linux but it's popular enough to have anti virus programs. Just googled. Comodo antivirus seems to be popular for Linux

I tried that before, but it was hard to even get to work at all.
When I finally got it running, it didn't seem to like the license I was feeding it.

true, but the trade off is that Macs and linux don't have as many virus issues as a Windows PC would. So the need for a lot of protection programs is low.

TechnicalSuwako said:
I tried that before, but it was hard to even get to work at all.
When I finally got it running, it didn't seem to like the license I was feeding it.

Did you get it from some third party? Then the license would likely be a fake one. Try purchasing the license directly from the website.

Back