Do you think shonen anime should have some romance in them?

Define romance, Angel. Don't you think Sanji going after a lady is not romance?
There is romance even in Shonen genre but it's just hidden and not in the main focus

They didn't need romance, all they need is training arc, competition arc, power up and fight lol but seriously.. romance is not the main focus, just think that it's a bonus if there is romance happened

They didn't need romance, all they need is training arc, competition arc, power up and fight lol but seriously.. romance is not the main focus, just think that it's a bonus if there is romance happened
lol true but i think some romance would be good.
something that's not too much for the target audience

Shonen doesn't exclusively mean battle anime...

Shonen Jump also has a lot of successful romance manga, so if we're going by the actual definition, Shonen does have romance.

Shonen doesn't exclusively mean battle anime...

Shonen Jump also has a lot of successful romance manga, so if we're going by the actual definition, Shonen does have romance.
i think i should have said mainstream anime
or even the big 4

Most of these shows are pretty mainstream, just because you haven't heard of them doesn't make it mainstream. Can't get more mainstream than Shonen Jump
no many would be called part of the big 4 in the anime communities
and these shows doesn't have enough romance

no many would be called part of the big 4 in the anime communities
and these shows doesn't have enough romance
That sounds retarded if there's more than 4 shows that are considered the "big four". Only people in the battle anime community give 2 shits about the "big four". Those communities are also pretty insular and are pretty ignorant on anime that isn't the generic Jump style battle anime and thinks the entire industry revolves around it.

It's really sad when there's other big Shonen Jump series that are uber popular everywhere else in the anime community, but the fans that jizz over the "big four" are completely unaware of their existence.

Just enough to enhance the storyline, nothing more.
Basically this. Shonen is wildly successful in all age groups and I can't say that it would make much sense for them to change up the formula. Granted, I would say that Shonen does have some romance in it. Personally, I would say that the lack of romance helps build the female charters as being the "love interset' doesn't always help the character develop like the others that are just more fighters trying to win (looking at you Sakura).

Basically this. Shonen is wildly successful in all age groups and I can't say that it would make much sense for them to change up the formula. Granted, I would say that Shonen does have some romance in it. Personally, I would say that the lack of romance helps build the female charters as being the "love interset' doesn't always help the character develop like the others that are just more fighters trying to win (looking at you Sakura).
lol true i don't like sakura at all
but it's evident that naruto developed a lot because of her though she dragged down sasuke a lot and tried to put naruto in trouble most of the time

lol true i don't like sakura at all
but it's evident that naruto developed a lot because of her though she dragged down sasuke a lot and tried to put naruto in trouble most of the time
You could probably make a solid debate that Naruto was just a long love story. Granted the final arc in Ship pokes a lot of holes in that, but without that arc, it really is just Sakura trying to win over Sasuke and Naruto trying to win over Sakura. Or perhaps Naruto trying to romance Sasuke, but the romance was a part none the less lol.

I do wish the Western anime community would break from calling battle anime as shonen.

With the advent of streaming, other genres in shonen manga have gained massive popularity. Battle manga isn’t the only genre from shonen magazines to be popular, and a lot of the tropes associated with shonen are mostly relegated to a single magazine. Even within that single magazine, it’s no longer the only genre to get popular.

Most of the magazines that showcase the popular action shows are also the origin of most popular harem anime that isn’t based off a light novel, and even the manga adaptations end up in those same magazines. That’s why characters from Nisekoi and To Love Ru show up in Shonen Jump fighting games alongside Goku and Naruto because they’re also protagonists in a Shonen Jump series.

You could probably make a solid debate that Naruto was just a long love story. Granted the final arc in Ship pokes a lot of holes in that, but without that arc, it really is just Sakura trying to win over Sasuke and Naruto trying to win over Sakura. Or perhaps Naruto trying to romance Sasuke, but the romance was a part none the less lol.
lol you are right about that.
sometimes it's hard to see the actual plot for the shipping lol.
I do wish the Western anime community would break from calling battle anime as shonen.

With the advent of streaming, other genres in shonen manga have gained massive popularity. Battle manga isn’t the only genre from shonen magazines to be popular, and a lot of the tropes associated with shonen are mostly relegated to a single magazine. Even within that single magazine, it’s no longer the only genre to get popular.

Most of the magazines that showcase the popular action shows are also the origin of most popular harem anime that isn’t based off a light novel, and even the manga adaptations end up in those same magazines. That’s why characters from Nisekoi and To Love Ru show up in Shonen Jump fighting games alongside Goku and Naruto because they’re also protagonists in a Shonen Jump series.
these days people call it battle shonen lol

Back