Do you speak Japanese?

Ha ha no I am not Japanese but I have been reading and writing in their language for more then 20 years. I am half Mexican half Irish. I grew up hearing and speaking English, Spanish, and Latin. I got into Japanese when I was in collage. A friend wanted me to download some anime for him. Back then that was almost the only way to get it in the southern U.S. and I don't like having to read subtitles so I taught myself the basics and people I met in RL and online helped to learn more.
that sounds cool
i wish to be so smart that i could learn a language so easily lol

that sounds cool
i wish to be so smart that i could learn a language so easily lol
It's not as hard as you think. Programs like Rosetta stone teach you to translate not how to think and speak in another language. If you really want to learn a new language Start with the shows for babies in that language it will teach you the building blocks then just move up as you learn. That is how kids in any country learn their native language these days.

It's not as hard as you think. Programs like Rosetta stone teach you to translate not how to think and speak in another language. If you really want to learn a new language Start with the shows for babies in that language it will teach you the building blocks then just move up as you learn. That is how kids in any country learn their native language these days.
that's true
i did install a few apps before thinking i would learn a new word everyday but it's hard to remember lol

that's true
i did install a few apps before thinking i would learn a new word everyday but it's hard to remember lol
The biggest key to learning a new language is usage. You can memorize lists of words but until you put them into play they don't really mean anything. Find yourself somebody that speaks the language that you are trying to learn and talk to them verbally not typing. Language is so much more then just words. It's the hand gestures. The tone of voice, body movements. The look in their eyes when talking. This is why I tell people to watch Tv in the language they are trying to learn because you will see all of this but you will still need just like a child someone to explain why they said or did certain things.

Learning another language isn’t hard, it’s just tedious. People like mistaking anything that takes more than like 5 mins as hard.

The biggest key to learning a new language is usage. You can memorize lists of words but until you put them into play they don't really mean anything. Find yourself somebody that speaks the language that you are trying to learn and talk to them verbally not typing. Language is so much more then just words. It's the hand gestures. The tone of voice, body movements. The look in their eyes when talking. This is why I tell people to watch Tv in the language they are trying to learn because you will see all of this but you will still need just like a child someone to explain why they said or did certain things.
that makes a lot of sense but no one here knows japanese and everyone around me feels that it's hard to learn this language when compared to korean
Learning another language isn’t hard, it’s just tedious. People like mistaking anything that takes more than like 5 mins as hard
lol may be but some people can easily memorize that stuff

i wouldn't agree with that as i have tried learning japanese thorough an app before.
it's just not easy for everyone
That’s because you have to have a level of motivation to do it. If you just mess around for 5 mins and go “lol nope”, you’re not going to get anything out of it.

That’s because you have to have a level of motivation to do it. If you just mess around for 5 mins and go “lol nope”, you’re not going to get anything out of it.
i wouldn't do that
tried for 30 minutes for 10 days but didn't see much improvement at all and the letters are just too difficult to memorize and gave up

i wouldn't do that
tried for 30 minutes for 10 days but didn't see much improvement at all and the letters are just too difficult to memorize and gave up
Hiragana and katakana is pretty easy to memorize, and like I said, you didn't have much motivation. There are several skills I have now that I tried years ago and didn't put motivation behind it, so I didnt learn it, then i tried it again with motivation and I learned it.

10 mins of motivated learning will get you farther than 30 mins of unmotivated learning.

Hiragana and katakana is pretty easy to memorize, and like I said, you didn't have much motivation. There are several skills I have now that I tried years ago and didn't put motivation behind it, so I didnt learn it, then i tried it again with motivation and I learned it.

10 mins of motivated learning will get you farther than 30 mins of unmotivated learning.
sometimes it depends on the capacity too.
that's what i wanted to tell you. i don't think you know what's like to not to understand things even after you put in effort

sometimes it depends on the capacity too.
that's what i wanted to tell you. i don't think you know what's like to not to understand things even after you put in effort
What does the capacity mean?

I do know what it's like to not understand things after putting in effort, it's because I wasn't motivated/didn't care. You do realize that when you try to learn something, simply just doing it isn't going to get you anywhere. You actually have to apply the knowledge of what you're doing.

What does the capacity mean?

I do know what it's like to not understand things after putting in effort, it's because I wasn't motivated/didn't care. You do realize that when you try to learn something, simply just doing it isn't going to get you anywhere. You actually have to apply the knowledge of what you're doing.
that's what .. it's easy to say that.
not that japanese but i have tried to learn spanish went to a local crash course but didn't go far in that and the instructor told me that learning languages is not for me. so yeah i think i know what i am talking about here

that's what .. it's easy to say that.
not that japanese but i have tried to learn spanish went to a local crash course but didn't go far in that and the instructor told me that learning languages is not for me. so yeah i think i know what i am talking about here
You can memorize random Japanese words from anime, but if it isn’t anime related, you’re baffled. Definitely sounds like a motivation issue.

If you walk in going “I’m not smart, a teacher told me to give up”, that won’t help your motivation and determination. You give up too easily.

Based on other things I’ve seen you talk about, it seems like you give up on things too easily and blame yourself on being dumb. It sounds like you just use that as a crutch.

You can memorize random Japanese words from anime, but if it isn’t anime related, you’re baffled. Definitely sounds like a motivation issue.

If you walk in going “I’m not smart, a teacher told me to give up”, that won’t help your motivation and determination. You give up too easily.

Based on other things I’ve seen you talk about, it seems like you give up on things too easily and blame yourself on being dumb. It sounds like you just use that as a crutch.
if your father treats you like a dumb and trash, then it would be hard to get over it and think you can do and learn things too.
i never wanted to be a chef and i hated cooking but now i will have to do it a lifetime. as for learning, may be my motivation needs some work but i have tried to learn things and worked harder too and even for anime things, i don't remember much

if your father treats you like a dumb and trash, then it would be hard to get over it and think you can do and learn things too.
i never wanted to be a chef and i hated cooking but now i will have to do it a lifetime. as for learning, may be my motivation needs some work but i have tried to learn things and worked harder too and even for anime things, i don't remember much
You learned how to cook right? Then apply that to learning another language. Obviously the way you were trying it before didn’t work.

You learned how to cook right? Then apply that to learning another language. Obviously the way you were trying it before didn’t work.
it didn't require too much intellect and i don't prepare too many dishes.
so it's not hard to remember the recipe

it didn't require too much intellect and i don't prepare too many dishes.
so it's not hard to remember the recipe
Learning a language is just memorization. If you can memorize a recipe, you can memorize stuff like hiragana and katakana.

You’re already coming up with excuses.

Learning a language is just memorization. If you can memorize a recipe, you can memorize stuff like hiragana and katakana.

You’re already coming up with excuses.
are you actually serious?
do you really think cooking something is close to actually learning a new language? i really don't know what to say anymore. it's not for me but thanks for thinking that i could do it

Back