Boruto, chapter 15

Sindar

Hey @MadaraUchiha, now I have read this chapter =) Did you start reading the manga too?

The chapter's pretty good, we seem to be going somewhere. I hope they know what they are doing with this evil organization and the seals. I kinda thought the whole deal with Boruto's seal would remain a mystery for a while longer, but I also wouldn't mind a quicker pace, waiting a month for each update is a killer.

I am a bit sad for Sarada's mission, it would have been interesting to see. She did what I expected from her though.

unfortunately, my tablet broke so I need to get a new one before reading any more manga, though I plan to read boruto when I get a new one.

Ace said:
unfortunately, my tablet broke so I need to get a new one before reading any more manga, though I plan to read boruto when I get a new one.
Oh please do, would be nice to have three people reading the same manga here (would be the first time since forever).

Sindar said:
Oh please do, would be nice to have three people reading the same manga here (would be the first time since forever).

I've been reading boruto since it came out me and madara were talking about it in another thread.

Ace said:
I've been reading boruto since it came out me and madara were talking about it in another thread.
I didn't know o_O Cool, then let me know what you think about the last chapter when you read it =)

Sindar said:
I didn't know o_O Cool, then let me know what you think about the last chapter when you read it =)

Might not be until next month haha that's when I get paid well I get paid on the 28th but I gotta see if I can afford on after bills

It was pretty nice to see the story finally take off. The curse seal had some kind of an explanation. And, this again kind of goes back to the statement that Boruto is sort of an amalgamation between Naruto and Sasuke.
And, as far as the Kara are concerned, they maybe some cannon fodder organisation, or, like how the Akatsuki were Bijuu/Jinchuuriki killers in Naruto:Shippuuden, these people might be God Killers, capable of taking on the Otsusukis, meaning, Naruto and Sasuke at their full power might face genuine challenges from people.

I still think Ikemoto's art-work is not very good. I don't mind him when he's drawing new characters, but, when he's drawing the old ones, it bothers me. The cover page for the chapter was really bad. Sasuke looked like how someone would draw him in a meme to make fun of him. This was better:
tumblr_ouw6mnPoIr1vgzpnmo2_1280.jpg

Than this:
tumblr_ouw6mnPoIr1vgzpnmo1_1280.jpg

MadaraUchiha said:
It was pretty nice to see the story finally take off. The curse seal had some kind of an explanation. And, this again kind of goes back to the statement that Boruto is sort of an amalgamation between Naruto and Sasuke.
And, as far as the Kara are concerned, they maybe some cannon fodder organisation, or, like how the Akatsuki were Bijuu/Jinchuuriki killers in Naruto:Shippuuden, these people might be God Killers, capable of taking on the Otsusukis, meaning, Naruto and Sasuke at their full power might face genuine challenges from people.

I still think Ikemoto's art-work is not very good. I don't mind him when he's drawing new characters, but, when he's drawing the old ones, it bothers me. The cover page for the chapter was really bad. Sasuke looked like how someone would draw him in a meme to make fun of him. This was better:
tumblr_ouw6mnPoIr1vgzpnmo2_1280.jpg

Than this:
tumblr_ouw6mnPoIr1vgzpnmo1_1280.jpg

I don't think we should have a time skip in the manga yet o_O And by "yet", I mean, there should be at least 50 chapters out before we can skip a few years (which is still crazy fast by shounen standards). Before that happen Boruto should be able to fight anyone who can oppose Naruto or Sasuke, I don't think. Unless he gains an exclusive power-up, be it his seal or his dojutsu.

What did Yamashita say? Was he like cursing and stuff? : D

Well, am definitely not going to blame an artist for not copying someone else's art style :p That fanart was nothing like Ikemoto's design for Sasuke, so it is unfair to compare it to his own cover. I think it is easier to not be frustrated with the difference between Ikemoto's and Kishimoto's designs if you consider Boruto manga to be a separate story. I remember back when I was actively watching and reading everything related to Slayers, there were like a dozen different manga published for this series, not to count the fan made ones. Some of these manga made alternative story lines directly contradicting the canon story, some radically changed character designs, some changed character's personalities. It was still fun to read them, it was as if the original story started to grow sideways =)
Yes, I agree. It took 330 chapters for Naruto to be on the same level as Kakuzu, who I consider to be in the lower tier of Akatsuki members(Kakuzu, Hidan, Deidara, Sasori). Look, I don't want Boruto, or anyone else for that matter, other than the Otsusuki, to be on the same power scale of Naruto and Sasuke. One, because Boruto doesn't have the Kyuubi or the Sharingan. The former is the most powerful of the tailed beasts, and the latter is among the most powerful Kekkei Genkai, and the most powerful base form dojutsu. Two, Boruto's motivations aren't clear to me, yet. He's sort of in a 'he loves me', 'he loves me not'/'I love him','I love him not', relationship with Naruto, and that's his entire character. Compare that with Naruto, who wants to become the Hokage(and along the way realizes through his experiences with people, like Jiraiya, his friends, Itachi, Pein, etc., that he has to be acknowledged by the village), or Sasuke, who wants to exact revenge on his brother. Both of their motivations are laid clear in the first few episodes itself. Three, to me, he's not compelling as a main character. I find Sarada to be more compelling, and whenever the old cast appears, I'm like 'get out of the screen' to Boruto.

Here's the excerpt:
Q:[size=small][font="Open Sans", "Segoe UI", sans-serif]Now, Ikemoto Mikio is in the middle of serialization in Shonen Jump for ‘Boruto’. What about his sketches?[/font][/size]
A:[size=small][font="Open Sans", "Segoe UI", sans-serif] I’m fond of Ikemoto-sensei’s sketches. I especially like the ‘real touch’ of his characters and the upper lips…(laugh). Well, I thought Momoshiki was really cool, I was thinking honestly, ‘He did it!’. In terms of panel layout, his oblong landscape layout for frames is really cool. But for the anime, it’s difficult to depict the two-page spreads. It’ll be trial-and-error for me to depict Ikemoto-sensei’s ninja action in the anime. In comparison to the depiction of Kishimoto-sensei’s manga, which is more detailed and realistic. I don’t think there are other manga like it.When kunai fly from their bags, Kishimoto-sensei uses three panels! Including sound, there’s the panels to accommodate in the anime. It’s even difficult for an animator to draw the characters movement at the angles that Kishimoto-sensei has drawn them. I think it’s an advanced sketch.[/font][/size]

The fan-art is closer to Kishi's design, actually, and I'm just saying that it looks far better. Ikemoto's cover falls flat and looks really bad. 
Look, I'm someone who's cool with changing artstyle and design. This happens all the time in the comics. Batman looked way different when he was conceived in 1939, he looked very different in Frank Miller's iconic 'The Dark Knight Returns', different in Alan Moore's 'The Killing Joke', in Scott Snyder's art, in various movies, ranging from 1989's Batman, 2008's excellent 'The Dark Knight' and the up-coming 'Justice League'.
However, I complain when I perceive it to be ugly. And, this is not a minority opinion. I follow many Naruto pages on Facebook, and I looked at a few reddit threads when the raw edition was released, they were making fun of this cover left and right. If you think this looks nice, good for you. But, I think he has to stick to Kishi's design for the original characters, and he can do whatever he wants with the new ones, since it's anyway not gonna get adapted, and Studio Perriot, inspite of their short-comings, are doing a good job with the animation and the designs of both the old and new characters.

Yes, I agree. It took 330 chapters for Naruto to be on the same level as Kakuzu, who I consider to be in the lower tier of Akatsuki members(Kakuzu, Hidan, Deidara, Sasori). Look, I don't want Boruto, or anyone else for that matter, other than the Otsusuki, to be on the same power scale of Naruto and Sasuke. One, because Boruto doesn't have the Kyuubi or the Sharingan. The former is the most powerful of the tailed beasts, and the latter is among the most powerful Kekkei Genkai, and the most powerful base form dojutsu. Two, Boruto's motivations aren't clear to me, yet. He's sort of in a 'he loves me', 'he loves me not'/'I love him','I love him not', relationship with Naruto, and that's his entire character. Compare that with Naruto, who wants to become the Hokage(and along the way realizes through his experiences with people, like Jiraiya, his friends, Itachi, Pein, etc., that he has to be acknowledged by the village), or Sasuke, who wants to exact revenge on his brother. Both of their motivations are laid clear in the first few episodes itself. Three, to me, he's not compelling as a main character. I find Sarada to be more compelling, and whenever the old cast appears, I'm like 'get out of the screen' to Boruto.

Here's the excerpt:
Q:[size=small]Now, Ikemoto Mikio is in the middle of serialization in Shonen Jump for ‘Boruto’. What about his sketches?[/size]
A:[size=small] I’m fond of Ikemoto-sensei’s sketches. I especially like the ‘real touch’ of his characters and the upper lips…(laugh). Well, I thought Momoshiki was really cool, I was thinking honestly, ‘He did it!’. In terms of panel layout, his oblong landscape layout for frames is really cool. But for the anime, it’s difficult to depict the two-page spreads. It’ll be trial-and-error for me to depict Ikemoto-sensei’s ninja action in the anime. In comparison to the depiction of Kishimoto-sensei’s manga, which is more detailed and realistic. I don’t think there are other manga like it.When kunai fly from their bags, Kishimoto-sensei uses three panels! Including sound, there’s the panels to accommodate in the anime. It’s even difficult for an animator to draw the characters movement at the angles that Kishimoto-sensei has drawn them. I think it’s an advanced sketch.[/size]

The fan-art is closer to Kishi's design, actually, and I'm just saying that it looks far better. Ikemoto's cover falls flat and looks really bad. 
Look, I'm someone who's cool with changing artstyle and design. This happens all the time in the comics. Batman looked way different when he was conceived in 1939, he looked very different in Frank Miller's iconic 'The Dark Knight Returns', different in Alan Moore's 'The Killing Joke', in Scott Snyder's art, in various movies, ranging from 1989's Batman, 2008's excellent 'The Dark Knight' and the up-coming 'Justice League'.
However, I complain when I perceive it to be ugly. And, this is not a minority opinion. I follow many Naruto pages on Facebook, and I looked at a few reddit threads when the raw edition was released, they were making fun of this cover left and right. If you think this looks nice, good for you. But, I think he has to stick to Kishi's design for the original characters, and he can do whatever he wants with the new ones, since it's anyway not gonna get adapted, and Studio Perriot, inspite of their short-comings, are doing a good job with the animation and the designs of both the old and new characters.
Yeah, Boruto is just interested in being as cool as Sasuke for now =) But moving aside from the future of the series I like how team Konohamaru feels. They are more normal kids than what team Kakashi had been. No love triangle, no one is an orphan, no one is planning to kill his brother, no one acts as a clown, no one acts as a snob. It makes the story more plain and provides no real motivations for any of these characters, but at least I buy that they are just normal children. Together with their good team work and level-headed personalities it feels like a look at a "normal" shinobi team, rather than what team 7 used to be =) I can imagine it getting boring or something, but I would read a few more chapters of them going on relatively normal missions. Like that B-rank mission they missed, I wanted to see it. Would be cool if Sadara and Boruto (and Mitsuki, if that is possible) were pressed to give it their all and still straggle to finish the mission. Sort of how it was in this last Boruto fight. On the contrast I don't really want them to have to save the village yet, it would be unrealistic and maybe too dramatic too. Naruto had hundreds of chapters to built up his image as a loser who cares about his village, so when he saved it from Pain, it was more than impressive. If team [size=small]Konohamaru[/size][size=small] is going to save the village too, I want to have at least some build up to it. I am not even talking power levels here.[/size]

I guess in a way I don't think the manga can give either one of the main cast motivations that would be even remotely comparable to Naruto's or Sasuke's, and so I set my expectations low enough =)

Cool, thanks. I guess Yamashita just wants to have easier time with storyboards and such xD Lots of manga go for double spread pages, it is the animators' job to deal with it. Apparently Bleach is famous for that, although some people thought it was a sight of Kubo loosing his touch. I too don't think the manga would be adopted, but not because of teh panel layout; rather, it is because it is progressing at a snail's pace  :angel: Animation team would have to make like 10 filler episodes per single canon one, not worth it. Easier to work with their own writer.

Nah, I don't have an opinion about Ikemoto's cover. It is fairly rare for me to be excited about a cover and this one didn't impress me too much either. It looks plain and simple, doesn't carry any emotions. Maybe [size=small]Ikemoto[/size][size=small] should have chosen a different pose or something, I don't know.[/size]
My point is, I don't think Ikemoto or any other mangaka should copy art style or character designs of other artists. I don't think of them as factory workers that deliver product of a specified quality. I would say that Kishimoto's Sasuke looks better to me, especially teen Sasuke. But to me artistic freedom is way more important than how good Sasuke looks. [size=small]It is pretty funny that fans are remaking [/size][size=small]Ikemoto [/size][size=small]covers though, would be interesting if they keep it up =)[/size]

Yeah, Boruto is just interested in being as cool as Sasuke for now =) But moving aside from the future of the series I like how team Konohamaru feels. They are more normal kids than what team Kakashi had been. No love triangle, no one is an orphan, no one is planning to kill his brother, no one acts as a clown, no one acts as a snob. It makes the story more plain and provides no real motivations for any of these characters, but at least I buy that they are just normal children. Together with their good team work and level-headed personalities it feels like a look at a "normal" shinobi team, rather than what team 7 used to be =) I can imagine it getting boring or something, but I would read a few more chapters of them going on relatively normal missions. Like that B-rank mission they missed, I wanted to see it. Would be cool if Sadara and Boruto (and Mitsuki, if that is possible) were pressed to give it their all and still straggle to finish the mission. Sort of how it was in this last Boruto fight. On the contrast I don't really want them to have to save the village yet, it would be unrealistic and maybe too dramatic too. Naruto had hundreds of chapters to built up his image as a loser who cares about his village, so when he saved it from Pain, it was more than impressive. If team [size=small]Konohamaru[/size][size=small] is going to save the village too, I want to have at least some build up to it. I am not even talking power levels here.[/size]

I guess in a way I don't think the manga can give either one of the main cast motivations that would be even remotely comparable to Naruto's or Sasuke's, and so I set my expectations low enough =)

Cool, thanks. I guess Yamashita just wants to have easier time with storyboards and such xD Lots of manga go for double spread pages, it is the animators' job to deal with it. Apparently Bleach is famous for that, although some people thought it was a sight of Kubo loosing his touch. I too don't think the manga would be adopted, but not because of teh panel layout; rather, it is because it is progressing at a snail's pace  :angel: Animation team would have to make like 10 filler episodes per single canon one, not worth it. Easier to work with their own writer.

Nah, I don't have an opinion about Ikemoto's cover. It is fairly rare for me to be excited about a cover and this one didn't impress me too much either. It looks plain and simple, doesn't carry any emotions. Maybe [size=small]Ikemoto[/size][size=small] should have chosen a different pose or something, I don't know.[/size]
My point is, I don't think Ikemoto or any other mangaka should copy art style or character designs of other artists. I don't think of them as factory workers that deliver product of a specified quality. I would say that Kishimoto's Sasuke looks better to me, especially teen Sasuke. But to me artistic freedom is way more important than how good Sasuke looks. [size=small]It is pretty funny that fans are remaking [/size][size=small]Ikemoto [/size][size=small]covers though, would be interesting if they keep it up =)[/size]
I hope there's some kind of development before the movie gets adapted. He's pretty much the same as he was in the movie, and the movie takes place at least a year or two after the anime. So, they've painted themselves to a corner.
I mean, a lot of anime do wonders in 20 episodes, and everyone's the same here.
I don't want imitations. I just don't want dull looking covers. And, Ikemoto's art is dull and flat.

By the way, you did you see that cover? : D   https://manga-tube.me/series/boruto__naruto_next_generations/read/8670/1

Compared to it the Sasuke one shouldn't even invoke any emotions, here the guy is just trolling the fan base xD
I actually mentioned this cover in that Boruto anime review thread, but, it seemed like you didn't know what I was talking about. After I got to know of this cover, I started checking out the manga, and that's when I came to know that his art-style is not my cup of tea.

MadaraUchiha said:
I hope there's some kind of development before the movie gets adapted. He's pretty much the same as he was in the movie, and the movie takes place at least a year or two after the anime. So, they've painted themselves to a corner.
I mean, a lot of anime do wonders in 20 episodes, and everyone's the same here.
I don't want imitations. I just don't want dull looking covers. And, Ikemoto's art is dull and flat.

I actually mentioned this cover in that Boruto anime review thread, but, it seemed like you didn't know what I was talking about. After I got to know of this cover, I started checking out the manga, and that's when I came to know that his art-style is not my cup of tea.

This is a pretty good opportunity for Naruto to regain its heights again, and if given to the right person, it can be done. They are wasting time and the brand value.

Back