Anime review: Zombieland saga

Burnsy

V.I.P. Member
hitit.png
[/align]
[size=small]Every once in a while a show comes along that manages to break the shackles of it's genre and do something so new, so unexpected so unique that it opens the gateway to people who otherwise never would have been interested in the genre. And in my opinion this is the show that does it for the Idol genre. With it's brilliant mix of comedy, music, drama and characters, it's by far my favorite show of the season and most memorable one of the entire year. I'll even suggest not reading the rest of the review and just watch it blind  to get the best experience.[/size][/align]

[size=small]Zombieland saga is an original anime made by Avex pictures with a run time of 12 episodes. It starts off with a bang with one of the most random first episodes I've seen yet with our heroine dying in the first minute of the show and waking up as a zombie and forming an idol group to "save saga". The rest of the show is about how overcome the absurdity of what is happening, try to perform in public without blowing their cover, overcome their own personal short comings,growing and bonding together as a band and facing their ghosts of the past of when they were alive. [/size][size=medium]8/10[/size][size=small] story.[/size][/align]

[size=small]Zombieland saga wouldn't be half the show it is without it's cast. The chemistry between them is pure gold. You simply have to adore the main character Sakura who died an untimely death and finds new purpose in life (death??) with the group. And Saki, an ex biker gang member who is badass, funny and full of heart with the same being said for the rest of the characters who just add so much depth to the show, even yamada tae who has yet to awaken from her zombie state and and is perfect just the way she is.That along with mamoru miyano bringing his hyouin kyouma personality back for the manager is an easy [/size][size=medium]10/10[/size][size=small] for characters.[/size][/align]

[size=small]A very special mention to the music in this anime. An Idol show with bad music would be a crime but that is not a crime committed here.....The onstage scenes are hype both because of the songs and the build up to said scenes.The only negative I've seen is that some of those scenes are done in CGI and they look wonky because they switch between hand drawn and CGI.[/size][/align]
[size=small]Great OSTs as well that set the mood.There's one OST that never fails to get my mood up even though it only plays for 5 seconds and I can't find it either because they haven't released OSTs yet zzzz. That along with my favorite opening song of this year gets this anime a [/size][size=medium]9.5/10[/size][size=small] for music. [/size][/align]
[size=small]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwtI5o3RsLs[/size][/align]

[size=small]Special note on the opening and music.....They're all sung by Franchouchou which is a REAL band and the characters who are supposed to represent them are voiced by the group members themselves. This is a special kind of commitment to making a musical anime and I love it. Really considered giving it a 10.[/size][/align]

[size=small]This show just oozes happiness and heart. I have already added it to my favorites list on anilist and that's a huge deal with me. It doesn't matter if you think you don't think you like Idol shows this will honestly change your mind.[/size][/align]​

Interesting.
I do plan to watch it, after watching that video from before and now this rating is making me want to pick it up, soon.

Caught up to this on Sunday and finished it sometime back.
I absolutely loved it. All the characters, definitely. The chemistry is the strength. Favourite scene is easily the rap scene.
I kinda knew that the anime would eventually start giving each character a backstory but I was hoping that it wouldn't turn into an Angel Beats situation, I liked that anime but it felt a bit repetitive. But this one really nailed it by having something compelling for everyone.
I really like the OP and ED. Both not my favourites of this season, but definitely up there. But the music is phenomenal, and the songs used as well.
Only gripe is the CGI, as you said, it gets a bit jarring, but I felt it was done somewhat well in the last episode.
Idol anime are the most popular genre in Japan, apart from Fujoshi bait stuff. So hopefully this gets a season 2. It's an original anime so thankfully no source material to refer to, and no annoying manga fans who say "the manga did this better" or "this panel from manga is missing".
Also the anime is genuinely funny. There's a lot of physical comedy, and it made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

MadaraUchiha said:
Caught up to this on Sunday and finished it sometime back.
I absolutely loved it. All the characters, definitely. The chemistry is the strength. Favourite scene is easily the rap scene.
I kinda knew that the anime would eventually start giving each character a backstory but I was hoping that it wouldn't turn into an Angel Beats situation, I liked that anime but it felt a bit repetitive. But this one really nailed it by having something compelling for everyone.
I really like the OP and ED. Both not my favourites of this season, but definitely up there. But the music is phenomenal, and the songs used as well.
Only gripe is the CGI, as you said, it gets a bit jarring, but I felt it was done somewhat well in the last episode.
Idol anime are the most popular genre in Japan, apart from Fujoshi bait stuff. So hopefully this gets a season 2. It's an original anime so thankfully no source material to refer to, and no annoying manga fans who say "the manga did this better" or "this panel from manga is missing".
Also the anime is genuinely funny. There's a lot of physical comedy, and it made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

I just expected it to have some backlash, because there were a lot of people disappointed by it.
Oh you meant the song itself, eh? Yeah the song is pretty hype I agree.

Just watched this and really enjoyed it only thing I didn't really like was some of the CGI dance scenes but apart from that it was really good.

Back