What is the common misconception of anime according to you?

Rinko

V.I.P. Member
That would be anime is equivalent to hentai and it makes me mad no matter how much I try to control myself.
What about you?

Most people I know lump anime in with Disney and cartoons. While I like loony toons there is a big difference between Bugs Bunny and One Piece.

Most people I know lump anime in with Disney and cartoons. While I like loony toons there is a big difference between Bugs Bunny and One Piece.
That doesn’t make the target demographic different. One Piece is also aimed at children

Shonen means young boy, so any shonen manga means it’s targeted at young boys.
but most of the anime, at least main stream anime doesn't come under seinen and i never quite understood this point.
shonen anime ideally shouldn't have too deep stories if it's good kids but that's not happening

but most of the anime, at least main stream anime doesn't come under seinen and i never quite understood this point.
shonen anime ideally shouldn't have too deep stories if it's good kids but that's not happening
Idk what you’re trying to say.

The labels are super arbitrary entirely based off of what magazine it was printed in. Most magazines cater to one of 4 demographics:

Shonen - young boys
Seinen - young men
Shojo - young girls
Josei - young women

These labels don’t have any deeper meaning, as that’s just what the word means in Japanese. So saying shonen manga basically just means “manga for boys”. Anything else is stuff non-Japanese fans have fabricated based off of misinformation.

So if you see a magazine called SHONEN Jump, every manga in there is going to be shonen, and has zero relevancy to the genre.

I shit you not, you can buy a copy of Shonen Jump and read One Piece and directly after it is a romcom anime.

Back