Use a SSD?

Demon_skeith

Anyone here use a Solid State Drive in your PC instead of a Hard Drive Disk? They can be pretty great but not cheap to buy and put in.

I use SSD in my laptop and tablet.
The lack of space is an endless battle, but the speed and performance I get out of it in return makes me unwilling to return to an HDD again.
I still have an HDD in 2 desktop PCs, and the booting time is simply killing me.

TechnicalSuwako said:
The lack of space is an endless battle, but the speed and performance I get out of it in return makes me unwilling to return to an HDD again.
I still have an HDD in 2 desktop PCs, and the booting time is simply killing me.

The booting time for a hdd might be less than 50 seconds. I use hdd and it's booting time is 36 seconds most of the time.

What's the booting time for your hdd PC?

Star_Of_Hope said:
The booting time for a hdd might be less than 50 seconds. I use hdd and it's booting time is 36 seconds most of the time.

Between 1 and 2 minutes or so.
50 seconds sounds fast if you've only seen HDD speeds before, I fully understand that.
But when you get to see SSD speeds, you'll consider 50 seconds slow as shit through a filter.

Star_Of_Hope said:

Even for HDD that is pretty nice, but everything would load in about 10-15 seconds for an SSD. You wouldn't think it make a difference but boy do you realize how bad HDD is once you go SSD.

TechnicalSuwako said:
Between 1 and 2 minutes or so.
50 seconds sounds fast if you've only seen HDD speeds before, I fully understand that.
But when you get to see SSD speeds, you'll consider 50 seconds slow as shit through a filter.

I see. Well I don't think 1 minute is slow at all and I about that I never used an SSD before and I aware that they are quite expensive too.

Demon_skeith said:
Even for HDD that is pretty nice, but everything would load in about 10-15 seconds for an SSD. You wouldn't think it make a difference but boy do you realize how bad HDD is once you go SSD.

I see. I didn't expect it to be less than 30 seconds. I guess I can see why people don't like waiting.. Even if it's almost negligible

TechnicalSuwako said:

then you could have bought a large spaced ssd as you seem to like it. why would you get a small space ssd?

Star_Of_Hope said:
I see. I didn't expect it to be less than 30 seconds. I guess I can see why people don't like waiting.. Even if it's almost negligible

It depends on your lifestyle, I know of students who prefer it as they want their PCs to boot up quickly when using them for class.

Demon_skeith said:
It depends on your lifestyle, I know of students who prefer it as they want their PCs to boot up quickly when using them for class.

The classes begin on time and they need to start working immediately. So I can see why students would want a SSD to use

[quote="TechnicalSuwako" pid='88367' dateline='1521051742']

I only have a 220.1 GiB (236.33 GB) SSD, but I also have a lot of servers both in-house and off-shore that I can use as extensions of space, so that's not a concern to me.
First time I had an SSD was a tablet with a 128 GB SSD, and I can tell you that it got really full really quick, and it was an endless battle against a full SSD.
But having a 256 GB doesn't sound much, but it's still an entirely different experience in that aspect.

Of course it's still not enough if you use Windows, since the vanilla OS alone takes up about 20-40 (?) GB of space, then add all the apps you need, and you'll use up 90 GB.
Then add the bloatware it most likely ships with, and your PC is basically full before you could even get started with it.
On Linux on the other hand it can be easier, as you can install and remove every single component without limitations, the vanilla OS is normally way lighter, and any app you need doesn't use crazy amounts of data unlike the ones on Windows.

Edit:
I was a bit in a hurry when I wrote the last bit.
I should note that the use of "3rd party" for Linux-based software is a bit wrong, because actually everything can be considered 3rd party, considering the kernel is being developed by thousands of individual developers worldwide at the same time, and distributions can be owned by anyone (company, developer group, or even individual with a lot of free time).
[/quote]

if you don't want to answer ignore this but are you rich? you good two desktop computer, surface pro and now i am hearing about tablets

[quote="TechnicalSuwako" pid='88393' dateline='1521090617']

If I own more proper quality computers doesn't automatically make me rich.
In order for me to afford better computers, I simply trade off based on what I need and what I prefer.

For example, I only go buy clothes once every half year, so that's easy to limit.
The food I buy is cheaper, and I need to be creative to make it taste well.
And living in a modern house with no gas source means I need to keep my house warm based on electricity, water, and isolation, which still cuts off a huge chunck of costs monthly.
And I have a full time IT job, meaning that it earns quite well.

That leaves me with more money to spend on technology.
[/quote]

thanks for replying as i thought you would ignore this. i shouldn't come to such conclusion but you know how curiosity is. i buy clothes at least twice a month and i got more jewelry and i spend money on tattoos too.

SecretWish said:
thanks for replying as i thought you would ignore this. i shouldn't come to such conclusion but you know how curiosity is. i buy clothes at least twice a month and i got more jewelry and i spend money on tattoos too.

[quote="TechnicalSuwako" pid='88461' dateline='1521134972']

If you want me to ignore you, then either you're most likely be dropping insults over me, or there's simply nothing to answer to.
Otherwise, I'm not an arsehole, so I don't ignore questions (or answer with nothing telling answers on purpose).
[/quote]
people would think it's rude to ask about their wealth but i wanted to know so i made that post. i didn't mean anything else by it. let me know if you don't want to be asked something

I have never had an SSD in my system. I don't find a need for one when the only things I do are gaming and browsing online. My PC boosts fast enough - around 9.5 seconds.

Keranov said:
I have never had an SSD in my system. I don't find a need for one when the only things I do are gaming and browsing online. My PC boosts fast enough - around 9.5 seconds.

what do you have that it boots up so fast?

Back